HAL's New Cookbook.......Anyone?

sail7seas

We got a copy of A Taste of Excellence while on Maasdam.

I've been reading through it and it's really nice. I haven't tried any recipes yet but plan to over the weekend.

Has anyone else gotten the book yet? Tried any recipes?

It was for sale on our Statendam cruises in June.

I didn't buy a copy as I don't do very much cooking anymore.

My father loves to cook, so I hauled this huge Princess Cookbook home last year for him. Weighed a ton in my luggage. He never tried one recipe in there because he claims they use too much butter and other fats.

So, since I don't cook ... and he probably won't use HAL's cookbook any more than he's been using Princess' ... think I'll pass on that offering.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I always adapt the amount of fats/salt in any recipe.......easy to do. Truthfully, some of the food on the ships tastes too salty for my taste so I'm happy to have the choice of preparing those dishes with a smaller amount. We eat extremely low saturated fat and I'm adept at eliminating unwanted extra fat...... If not possible for a particular recipe, I skip it entirely. It's probably something I never would have ordered/eaten on the ship anyway.

Unfortunately, one of the recipes I would have liked to have and would be willing to make with all the 'fat', is the Clam Chowder served in Pinnacle. I'd like to have that recipe to make for an occasional treat but it isn't included in the cookbook.

Sail, thanks for the info about the book, I'll be sure to look for it. DW doesnt cook, claims she is just not good at it. So kitchen duty falls to me. Lucky for me I am from a large Sicilian and Portuguese family, and we all learned to cook from an early age. I am always looking for new ideas, so I will be sure to check out the book on our cruise in October. Let us know how the recipes turn out

Archived