Change of itinerary..be prepared!!

sgttami

My sister and I were just talking about a possible change of itinerary due to hurricane season. We're doing 9/3 Explorer to Bermuda from Bayonne.

Some folks went to Canada last year instead of Bermuda and ten years ago we faced the same deal and weren't prepared (Hurricane Felix) if there was a change. We were told that there might be a change in itinerary. We didn't know where we were going until we were at sea when the captain announced that we would be headed to Bermuda.(Instead of north). Roughest seas of my life but the weather was gorgeous once we got there. The previous week's cruise was diverted with no warning.

SOOO...pack a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt or two. You never know where you might be headed and as much as I hate to take extra clothes..I'll be happy if I have them. Happier, if I don't need them!!

Just thought I'd pass it on...

If your itinerary changes there will be an update on RCCL's webpage, here http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=0000-3D-t05qtlRBZwEovRiLG7W:10ktdmqkf?pagename=important_updates

At this point no itineraries are being changed due to Tropical Storm Ernesto.

Tropical Weather Update

August 25, 2006 -- 7 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Tropical Storm Ernesto to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety of our guests and crew is always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Tropical Storm Ernesto's location and projected path, Royal Caribbean is not currently altering the itineraries of any ships.

At this time, no Royal Caribbean itineraries are being altered due to tropical weather. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information daily at 1p.m. and 7 p.m.

NOOOOO!!!:( I am taking the Empress to Bermuda 9/2. I will be so disappointed if we wind up in Canada.

My point was that everyone should be prepared (clothing wise) if the ship goes somewhere else..Hey..I don't want to sail north either if I didn't plan on it!!

Hurricane warnings and all that stuff are nonsense. You get the real deal when your'e headed out to sea...

Hoping we all go where we're intended!!!

pam

My sister and I were just talking about a possible change of itinerary due to hurricane season. We're doing 9/3 Explorer to Bermuda from Bayonne.

Some folks went to Canada last year instead of Bermuda and ten years ago we faced the same deal and weren't prepared (Hurricane Felix) if there was a change. We were told that there might be a change in itinerary. We didn't know where we were going until we were at sea when the captain announced that we would be headed to Bermuda.(Instead of north). Roughest seas of my life but the weather was gorgeous once we got there. The previous week's cruise was diverted with no warning.

SOOO...pack a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt or two. You never know where you might be headed and as much as I hate to take extra clothes..I'll be happy if I have them. Happier, if I don't need them!!

Just thought I'd pass it on...

Post this on our roll call for this cruise.

We have friends in Nova Scotia. I just packed their phone number and directions from a past trip. I doubt we will need it but it is good to be prepared!!

As long as Im on a cruise ship, I dont care where I go

:-)

If your itinerary changes there will be an update on RCCL's webpage, here http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=0000-3D-t05qtlRBZwEovRiLG7W:10ktdmqkf?pagename=important_updates

At this point no itineraries are being changed due to Tropical Storm Ernesto.

Tropical Weather Update

August 25, 2006 -- 7 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Tropical Storm Ernesto to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety of our guests and crew is always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Tropical Storm Ernesto's location and projected path, Royal Caribbean is not currently altering the itineraries of any ships.

At this time, no Royal Caribbean itineraries are being altered due to tropical weather. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information daily at 1p.m. and 7 p.m.

I think this will be changing as of 1pm. Just watched the weather channel and they are expecting ernesto to become a hurricane so it will be affecting western caribbean itineraries. At least they won't end up in Canada. ;)

Post this on our roll call for this cruise.

We have friends in Nova Scotia. I just packed their phone number and directions from a past trip. I doubt we will need it but it is good to be prepared!!

As long as Im on a cruise ship, I dont care where I go

:-)

I wish more of the hurricane cruisers had your attitude. I always look forward to this time of year on the message boards when itineraries get diverted due to storms. Last years Bermuda/Canada change was downright nasty on here. :eek:

When I booked my 8/6 cruise, I did so remembering what happened last year, and went ahead and booked anyway. And I got a couple of jabs from my internet buddies.

I made the decision that, yes, I'd prefer to be on a sunny beach than Canada (not that there's anything really wrong with that....I've sailed there twice), but NO WAY would I want to be on a roller coaster ride on a ship, nor be in a rainy Bermuda (couldn't make up my mind pitting a rainy Bermuda vs a rainy Halifax or St John).

Anyway, we lucked out, and booked again for next year. I will keep my fingers crossed.

And I wish you luck as well. The odds ARE in your favor.

NOOOOO!!!:( I am taking the Empress to Bermuda 9/2. I will be so disappointed if we wind up in Canada.

Better that small disappointment, than the larger one if they were to sail into the path of a hurricane or tropical storm. If you book during the hurricane season you have to accept the fact that your itinerary can be changed. The safety of the ship and its passengers and crew hold a higher priority than the integrity of the planned itinerary and that is for the best.

One problem with sailing to Bermuda or Canada in the Fall is the possibility that a tropical storm or hurricane can follow your path whichever direction the ship sails. The captain will do his best to avoid the major impact of the storm, but these monsters extend out hundreds of miles from the eye and even if you miss the brunt of the high seas and winds, you may still have a bumpy ride.

There is no sense stressing over what might happen. Relax and enjoy your cruise wherever it ends up.:)

Just recieved a call from DD in NOLA. They are watching Ernesto closely. Of course this has a few days to play out but one possible projected path is the gulf again. Lets hope not.

I hope Ernesto blows himself out early. Lets keep our thoughts and prayers on all of our fellow cruisers out there. May none of you be detoured from your scheduled ports.

Most of all lets hope the Gulf coast is spared this time....

Happy and safe sailing out there the next week , Sue

We will be on the Freedom tomorrow and I am sure our itinerary will be modified. But it is much better to be on a ship that can get out of a storms way, than to be on land waiting to see if you are going to be hit. Not a pleasant experience We live in South Florida so we are used to it. We had a couple of our kids living in New Orleans last year with Katrina and we still have one living there. We are certainly hoping the path changes and strength decreases, since they can't sail out of the path.

What???? Hey, Nova Scotia at this time of year could be great!! (Yeah right, it ain't Bermuda...):p Just kidding, eh?:cool:

Fran in Toronto

We are planning on a short 4 night cruise from Fort Lauderdale Western on Enchantment on 9/21. Should the ship change ports due to a Hurricane would it go from Western to Eastern? Does anyone know?

We are planning on a short 4 night cruise from Fort Lauderdale Western on Enchantment on 9/21. Should the ship change ports due to a Hurricane would it go from Western to Eastern? Does anyone know?

Hey Liz, I'll let ya know next week! We leave on the Freedom tomorrow on the Western. We are supposed to be in Cozumel Tuesday -- same time as Ernesto. From there we are scheduled to go to Grand Cayman and then Jamaica -- where Ernesto was earlier! So, I don't see that happening, but we'll see.

I'll be onboard tomorrow, wherever the Freedom is going!

Here's the latest update from RCCL:

Tropical Weather Update

August 26, 2006 -- 7:00 p.m.s.gif

btn_getupdates_169.gif

Given Tropical Storm Ernesto's location and projected path, Royal Caribbean is currently altering the itineraries of three ships.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

• Freedom of the Seas departing Sunday, August 27, will sail a revised itinerary with port calls in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Tuesday; Philipsburg, St. Marten, Wednesday; and Labadee, Haiti, Friday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Galveston

• Rhapsody of the Seas departing Sunday, August 27, will sail a revised itinerary with port calls in Belize City, Belize, Wednesday; Costa Maya, Mexico, Thursday; and Cozumel, Mexico, Friday.

Ships sailing from the Port Everglades

• Enchantment of the Seas departing Monday, August 28, will sail a revised itinerary with port calls in Nassau, Bahamas, Tuesday and Wednesday; Coco Cay, Bahamas, Thursday; and Key West, Florida, Friday.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean itineraries are being altered due to tropical weather. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information daily at 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

No one can predict such a thing this far in advance. It would depend upon the location and expected track of the storm at the time of your cruise. It might be able to stay on a western itinerary but change the order of its port calls, or it might have to abandon the western Caribbean completely and sail an itinerary in the eastern Caribbean. With the unpredictability of tropical storms you have to be flexible and accept that the cruise lines will do what is necessary to protect its passengers, crew and the ship itself.:)

We will be on the Freedom tomorrow and I am sure our itinerary will be modified. But it is much better to be on a ship that can get out of a storms way, than to be on land waiting to see if you are going to be hit. Not a pleasant experience We live in South Florida so we are used to it. We had a couple of our kids living in New Orleans last year with Katrina and we still have one living there. We are certainly hoping the path changes and strength decreases, since they can't sail out of the path.

You need to let us know about Freedom! We are on the Christmas Cruise Dec 24 , 2006 and we just can't wait!!!

Archived