Ok, I've confirmed it....underwires set off the detectors in the airport

bonbon663

Well, not wearing them myself...but my DD weas them..found this out well over 4 years ago..when she set off the alarms. They had a lady guard come over and 'feel my DD down'...not only on her top where the bra was but her entire body. From then on...I told all my friends and my other DD NEVER, EVER wear underwire bras while flying!

:) HappyCruisingg!:)

Believe me, size of airport doesn't matter, nor does the size of the girls. At our airport (a small city of 250,000), every time I travelled with my underwire bras, (B cup) it set the sensors off - bells & whistles. I finally smartened up and began flying while wearing a sports bra or a tank with a shelf bra. Guess what? No more problems! It took a few "pat-downs" to figure out what to do, but now it makes flying much easier.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Setting off the metal detector via your bra is really strange. Most of the underwire bras today have plastic/composite underwires. Changing bra styles should help.

I fly A LOT (over 100,000 miles a year). I have worn this bra for 3 years. I have never set off the metal detector. I ONLY wear front close underwires-can't stand back close bras. Don't even own a non-underwire bra.

http://www.barenecessities.com/Wacoal-Body-By-Wacoal-T-Back-Bra_product_Wacoal65124_,search,.htm

And before that, I wore the Warner's Naked Truth bras, which is the predecessor to this bra. http://www.barenecessities.com/Warners-Frankly-Fabulous-Underwire-Bra_product_Warners2548_,search,.htm

I've never set off a metal detector,and I always wear underwire, but thanks for the excellent link.

I just ordered six bras!:D

I just have to tell this story. It wasn't airport security but British security when my friends and I visited parliament a year or so ago.

They start studying you when you're still in line. Then you go through metal detectors and other screenings. Finally they take your coat and purse, lock them away, and pat you down. They are extremely professional and polite but very serious.

My girlfriend is a mess. We were having the final patdowns from a female officer. At the end, my friend said, "Well, that wasn't too bad, but I liked it better last year when a guy did it."

For a second everything was quiet. I was a bit uneasy because they are not kidding around. An officer stepped forward and offered his assistance and the room broke up with laughter.

Note to self. Strangle friend.

I've flown more times than I can count...and never ever had a metal detector beep at me. In fact - MOST bras sold today are underwires, so if this was really a problem, you'd have a serious backup at the airports. And obviously that is not the case, so it must be a fluke with only a few types of bras.

I told all my friends and my other DD NEVER, EVER wear underwire bras while flying

Certainly not neccessary. I would suggest changing styles if you get "beeped".

Glad to hear this happens to others! I've had the underwire bra set off the detectors before. It wasn't long after 9/11 that we flew and I wondered if they'd set the detectors to be more sensitive. I got the pat down. Then I got pulled out of line at the gate (they were doing spot checks at the gate back then), then twice again on the return flight! I sure felt weird about it all....like I was a target of some kind of profiling or something. Now I never wear a bra when I travel, just a tank top. It's not worth the hassle.

I recall a story about a singer, Patty Lapone, a year or so ago, got stopped by TSA and they wanted her to take off her top. She had a sheer camisole under and refused. They wouldn't let her fly.

Many women have complained of being "felt-up" or groped while under the guise of airport security. While we all want TSA to do their jobs...we have to be vigilant that they don't abuse that power.

kitty

Has happened to me a number of times. I have had the "hand check" as well. I don't find it embarassing or unneccesary. It takes a whole 30 seconds and it is done very discreetly (though my husband always gets a good laugh). I now also either wear a sports bra or a tank with a built in bra. It doesn't bother me to get beeped, I just hate the way it hold us the line for the other passengers, so as a courtesy to eveyone else, I go "wireless". I have had this happen in a number of airports, though not all. I would have to believe it has to to with the kind of metal detectors they use.

Mrsfuzzmo

I just have to tell this story. It wasn't airport security but British security when my friends and I visited parliament a year or so ago.

They start studying you when you're still in line. Then you go through metal detectors and other screenings. Finally they take your coat and purse' date=' lock them away, and pat you down. They are extremely professional and polite but very serious.

My girlfriend is a mess. We were having the final patdowns from a female officer. At the end, my friend said, "Well, that wasn't too bad, but I liked it better last year when a guy did it."

For a second everything was quiet. I was a bit uneasy because they are not kidding around. An officer stepped forward and offered his assistance and the room broke up with laughter.

Note to self. Strangle friend.[/quote']

To funny!!!!!!!!

So interesting !!! Husband has sternal wires in figure 8 patterns holding sternum together since open heart surgery. Do you reckon they will set off the detectors, since the wires are so near the surface of the skin, and so many ??? Anyway, he travels with a note from his doc re: these wires. :D gg

You all are way to funny.........thanks for a good laugh you made my day.

You know how every time you find "just the right bra" they change the styles on you...or discontinue your favorite style?

No I don't think I will be changing my bra style anytime soon...I will just have to keep on buzzing:D

Metal detectors on the market today can be setup in various ways. You can adjust them to look just for stainless steel (gun barrels) and ignore pot metals (keys). Or any combinations between the two. Then there are sensitivity settings within these categories. So depending on how the machine is setup and the quality of the metal in the bra will depend if it goes off.

Flying out of Okinawa, Japan in the early 80's, everyone on the flights were hand searched and there was no same gender searches. I had a nice Japanese female wearing white gloves run her hands over every part of my body during the search.

Dave

You know how every time you find "just the right bra" they change the styles on you...or discontinue your favorite style?

No I don't think I will be changing my bra style anytime soon...I will just have to keep on buzzing

Enjoy your searches then. I do understand about finding the perfect style - I have several (I'm a lingerie freak :D ) and thankfully none of mine trip the detectors. But if one did, I can assure you I'd pick one that did not for that day. No way would it be worth the hassle.

Well now...let's be nice...

Happysinglemom is a size 4?:eek: In my dreams....

Us mature fluffy types with odd, woops, unique shapes....don't always have a huge assortment of choices.....

It's not that I am being a stinker about metal detectors, but they are gonna do what they have to do & I will take my chances as to if the detector will go off on any particular occasion...

Anyway....this thread is still way to funny....:D

:eek: Ok, I've confirmed it!! When I was going through security to fly home from my cruise, the alarms were blaring when I went through the metal detector.

So, out comes the wand. There was beep, beep, beep. Ok, all covered I thought, a ring, my watch, but what was causing the other beep? It was my bra!!:eek:

It beeped when the wand went over the clasps on the strap, it beeped again when it went over the underwire. It was a female officer, and she asked if could feel to double check that there was nothing in my bra besides my boobs. How lovely that was??!!

So, ladies, consider yourselves warned. No underwire bras for flying!!

oh my god it is so embarressing. i did the same thing a few years ago. i didnt even think about it being a problem. the lady security guard patted me down so bad i thought i was being molested . i think i am lucky i wasnt stripped and searched :eek: . every one stared at me and i felt so humiliated. i know it was for the safety of everyone and they did a good job of checking me and doing their job , but never again will i wear a underwire to the airport.

Well, I'm leaving for the airport in an hour . . . underwire bra and all. Fingers are crossed that I won't be all but strip searched if the buzzer goes off. Never had it happen in the past but there is a first time for everything.

• 2 months later...

Hi GG7 (and anyone else who has Sternal wires) - my husband has the same situation as yours and we have flown many times both nationally and internationally since he had his heart surgery and since 9/11 and he has yet to set off any detectors at an airport or any where else such as the Tower of London, Parliament, etc, etc. We have also travelled to the Eastern European countries and never a problem there either. The first time he flew we were prepared for the worst but everything went smoothly. But of course now that I've said that.....I'm sure the next time we fly it will be all bells and whistles for him:D . We also carry a letter from his doctor detailing his surgery (just in case). Hope this helps.

It only happened to me once - the TSA agent just touched with the back of their fingers to make sure there was in fact an underwire and that was it. Unpleasant, but it didn't feel disrespectful.

I don't expect it to be a problem in the future, for some reason I just can't stand them anymore. Last couple of underwire bras I got, I attacked them with manicure scissors to liberate that nasty wire....ahh....much better.

I was searched one time and one time only! If this ever happens again I will also ask for a booth!:eek: I now wear a Cami with a built in bra with a little jacket or sweater over it. I was so humiliated and embarrassed. Wearing a Cami is a lot more comfortable for the "girls" than a bra! But I am only a C cup and I have friends that are D and DD and they say they do not feel comfortable without wearing a bra!

I just got back from my first flight since my knee replacement. I set off the alarms like a four alarm fire. I got beeps from my bra, my bracelets, my knee...got the full pat down. This is going to happen every time I fly now so I have to leave an extra 15 minutes in my schedule. But I guess I would rather have the security than not.

First time after 9-11 I went out and bought a soft cup. Hated it and the girls looked pitiful, but wasn't going to take the chance. That was the only time I wore it. I've never had it set off the detectors.

With my DD's I would be in serious trouble - keeping with the wires and the beeps.

I was searched one time and one time only! If this ever happens again I will also ask for a booth!:eek: I now wear a Cami with a built in bra with a little jacket or sweater over it. I was so humiliated and embarrassed. Wearing a Cami is a lot more comfortable for the "girls" than a bra! But I am only a C cup and I have friends that are D and DD and they say they do not feel comfortable without wearing a bra!

the same thing happened to me last year. i was padded down so much i couldnt beleive it. like you, i know wear a cami with a sweater or shirt over it. it is much more comfortable on the plane when i wear it also.

With my DD's I would be in serious trouble - keeping with the wires and the beeps.

Me too!!! I fly on average every month and since 9/11 I can think of 3 or 4 times I've had problems. I'll take those odds to get support!

Archived