Ok, I've confirmed it....underwires set off the detectors in the airport

bonbon663

:eek: Ok, I've confirmed it!! When I was going through security to fly home from my cruise, the alarms were blaring when I went through the metal detector.

So, out comes the wand. There was beep, beep, beep. Ok, all covered I thought, a ring, my watch, but what was causing the other beep? It was my bra!!:eek:

It beeped when the wand went over the clasps on the strap, it beeped again when it went over the underwire. It was a female officer, and she asked if could feel to double check that there was nothing in my bra besides my boobs. How lovely that was??!!

So, ladies, consider yourselves warned. No underwire bras for flying!!

:eek: Ok, I've confirmed it!! When I was going through security to fly home from my cruise, the alarms were blaring when I went through the metal detector.

So, out comes the wand. There was beep, beep, beep. Ok, all covered I thought, a ring, my watch, but what was causing the other beep? It was my bra!!:eek:

It beeped when the wand went over the clasps on the strap, it beeped again when it went over the underwire. It was a female officer, and she asked if could feel to double check that there was nothing in my bra besides my boobs. How lovely that was??!!

Well, that would be about 99.9% of us!:eek:

That is so strange - Wonder how often this actually happens.

I finally found a couple of bra's with plastic underwires and strap adjusters and I use them strictly when I am going to the airport ... I hate them and they aren't that comfortable ...

but way more comfortable than that double check !!!!!!!!

Setting off the metal detector via your bra is really strange. Most of the underwire bras today have plastic/composite underwires. Changing bra styles should help.

I fly A LOT (over 100,000 miles a year). I have worn this bra for 3 years. I have never set off the metal detector. I ONLY wear front close underwires-can't stand back close bras. Don't even own a non-underwire bra.

http://www.barenecessities.com/Wacoal-Body-By-Wacoal-T-Back-Bra_product_Wacoal65124_,search,.htm

And before that, I wore the Warner's Naked Truth bras, which is the predecessor to this bra. http://www.barenecessities.com/Warners-Frankly-Fabulous-Underwire-Bra_product_Warners2548_,search,.htm

Depends on the airport. I fly out of Newark once a week and have several of the metal underwire bras and have only set them off once

I think you are probably on the right track with this post. Newark, JFK, LAX, PHL, all the really big airports have better equipment and better sensitivity levels on that equipment than some of the older equipment in smaller airports.

I fly out of Philadelphia and BWI all the time. I've flown out of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Houston Intercontinental, etc., etc., etc....I always wear an underwire bra and I've NEVER set off the alarm. I wear Victoria's Secret bras, maybe they are they plastic underwire?

My daughter sets them off everytime but she is a D cup, maybe the bigger the cup the bigger the wire which is setting off the alarms? I say to heck with the underwires and just let those babies rest on my belly. ;)

My daughter sets them off everytime but she is a D cup, maybe the bigger the cup the bigger the wire which is setting off the alarms? I say to heck with the underwires and just let those babies rest on my belly. ;)

I'm a D cup too and my wires did not set off the alarm! So, apparently, "size doesn't matter" :eek:

I flew out of IAD this week and nothing was set off for me. I think it depends on the airport as I remember back, Dillingham, Alaska my coat button set it off. Not sure who/what would be going through this remote airport to warrant a higher setting.

Semi off topic, Cape Cod Bracelets set them off also, I have to unscrew mine and make sure there is space as I walk through metal detector.

I've had it happen to me, but only twice. The 2nd time was HIGHLY embarrassing b/c I was on a band trip to perform at Disney World, in line next to all my (male) friends and I set it off. They all laughed when they saw the person doing the wand and realized what was setting it off. :p

Well, I've gone through 5 airports in the past week. My underwire bras did not set off the alarm. There's no metal at all. Don't know what it is...but no metal. These are Vassarette bras.

I made sure when I bought them that there was no metal as some previous bras did set off the alarms.

Are you serious? Someone actually felt your boobs to be sure "there was nothing in my bra besides my boobs" !!!!!!!! Oh my Heavens . . . what next? Strip searches? I'm sorry but I don't care if it was a female TSA agent who "examined" you . . . I'm all for flight safety . . . I was a flight attendant for over twenty years . . . and no one feels more strongly about making sure flights are safe . . . but feeling a female's breasts before they're let her board a flight is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious? Someone actually felt your boobs to be sure "there was nothing in my bra besides my boobs" !!!!!!!! Oh my Heavens . . . what next? Strip searches? I'm sorry but I don't care if it was a female TSA agent who "examined" you . . . I'm all for flight safety . . . I was a flight attendant for over twenty years . . . and no one feels more strongly about making sure flights are safe . . . but feeling a female's breasts before they're let her board a flight is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

STANDARD secondary TSA screening procedure. If you get SSSS on your boarding card, be prepared for the "boob job". You can ask for a private room.

I have been waiting for about 1.5 years for another secondary screening. I am going to ask for a booth. And on the way in the door, I am going to unbutton and unzip my Dockers (always travel in Dockers) and start pulling my top over my head. I will now be standing there in my see through bra and my Dockers around my ankles. I don't know what is going to happen when I do this, but I have made arrangements for bail. Some of the TSA screeners should be matrons in a correctional facility, NOT at an airport.

Are you serious? Someone actually felt your boobs to be sure "there was nothing in my bra besides my boobs" !!!!!!!! . . . . . . but feeling a female's breasts before they're let her board a flight is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Its usually the back of the hand feel around the edges to feel to tell if its underwire. (although now its most likely contraband chapstick) However I have told a screener to get a supervisor since it turned from a pat down to a grope since she felt compelled to lift my tatas which I informed her are real and are not around my waist so there is no need to ever touch with your hand

STANDARD secondary TSA screening procedure. If you get SSSS on your boarding card, be prepared for the "boob job". You can ask for a private room.

I have been waiting for about 1.5 years for another secondary screening. I am going to ask for a booth. And on the way in the door, I am going to unbutton and unzip my Dockers (always travel in Dockers) and start pulling my top over my head. I will now be standing there in my see through bra and my Dockers around my ankles. I don't know what is going to happen when I do this, but I have made arrangements for bail. Some of the TSA screeners should be matrons in a correctional facility, NOT at an airport.

As a criminal defense attorney . . . I know what you mean! The last (and only) time something like this happened to me was in 1979 and I was boarding a flight in Aman, Jordan to the United States. My former husband and I were "guests" of the late King Husan (sp). My former husband was the editor of "Flying" magazine and he was doing a story on "Arab Wings" (the King's executive aviation planes). I was pulled aside at the airport (with guys with guns) to so a "search" . . . one of our hosts stepped in and I was not "searched." I mean, the day before . . . I was having tea with Queen Nora and now they wanted to search me? It was so intimating . . . I felt like a criminal. To have something like this going on in the United States . . . with citizens of the United States . . . makes me so sad.

I too am under-wire-only. The girls just don't look right otherwise. We were flying to FLA in Nov 2001 & just didn't know what to expect so I got myself a good sports bra for the flights. No problems.

When we went to London in 2003, I did the same thing. Was so careful to make sure I didn't even have a gum wrapper in my pocket, but something set off the detector. How was I supposed to know that my Timberland boots had a metal shank? The TSA gentleman was charming & friendly while we waited for a female agent who prodded & probed everywhere possible. She was quite pleasant too. John had gone thru with no troubles but wasn't allowed to come anywhere near me, or to talk to me. I followed the TSA agent's suggestion to remove my boots before security at Heathrow on the return trip & went right thru.

A sports bra might be good for leisure travellers like me. For the business women, tho, I can see where it's just not practical. You're probably travelling in your work clothes.

So far I haven't had any trouble in airports (knocking on wood big time here!) but I did have problems when I went into the Federal Building in Norfolk, VA. As it turned out the hooks on my bra were setting off their detector. I guess that's the price I pay for 6 pregnancies, being over 50, and buying those heavy duty babies with the 4 rows of hooks!! :D

Cheryl

I wonder if they've "upped" the sensitivity on the metal detectors recently.

I don't fly an awful lot, but a few times a year. Since I live in NY, I fly out of either Kennedy, Newark, or LaGuardia, only own underwire bras (Ds), always wear a bra, and have never set off a metal detector.

Either that, or I guess despite having several different brands of bras, they are all plastic underwires???

I have heard of friends that set off the metal detectors with their underwire bras so I planned on wearing a tank top with a shelf bra. I don't want a strip search to start off my trip!!:eek:

I packed my regular bras in my checked luggage and hope they don't lose my luggage. A week without my underwire support would not be pretty!

I fly everywhere for work...never had a prob...and all my bras have underwire...trust me...these babies need all the support they can get...hehe...I have the same bra in diff colors and a few weeks back the wire popped out of one...it was metal...I always wondered why it never set off the detectors...I would like to know why some would and others wouldnt....

Archived