First time flyer/cruiser questions!

I'll be heading out on my first cruise Oct. 1!! I am very excited, but at the same time, feel very unprepared!! I think I'm mostly nervous about the whole check-in process and am afraid I won't have something that I need to get on the boat!

I received my travel booklet today from RCI. Just wondering how I get my plane tickets? I booked my flight through RCI also.

Since I am also a first time flier (Yikes!), can someone give me some tips on what I need to buy for my luggage? Do I need specific luggage tags, locks, etc.? Also...how do I find out what time I need to be at the airport and what things I can and cannot put into my carry-on? Again..I'm nervous about the whole airport process!

Lastly....please give me ANY advice you have about first time cruising/flying! Tell me things you would have liked to been told before you went on your first flight/cruise.

Thanks SO much!!

Okay, in your cruise documents, you should have a page that lists your air itinerary - that's your tickets. Cruise air is almost always done as e-docs these days. All you will need to do is show up at the airport on the day of your flight with a valid photo ID and they will pull you up in the computer.

Assuming that you are flying within the US, a good recommendation is that you should be at the airport 1.5 hours before your flight. Pay attention though, if something happens again like it did a few weeks ago, it may be to your benefit to arrive at the airport even earlier.

The only words of advice I have are ....

Buy the colored luggage straps that go around your luggage. They make finding your luggage A LOT easier. I buy mine at Target. They also sell them at Sears.

I too suggest arriving at the airport at least 1 1/2 hours early. Two hours if you are parking in a lot that requires a shuttle at the airport. The latest we have ever checked in was 25 minutes before our flight took off. I lost track of time....never again! We were running for the gate :(

The first time I ever flew we got upgraded to First Class. It was awesome to be able to fly our first time in First Class.

Also make sure you attach luggage tags (or use the clear pouch found on the back of most luggage) and put your name, adress, and ship info inside your and luggage.

Bring gum to chew if you need to get your ears to "pop" on take off and landing.

One thing I remember most about my first flight was thinking how it didn't feel like we were moving while in the air. After take-off it is pretty much motionless (unless you hit a little turbulance...no big deal....just like pot holes around here).

If you have a connection flight there are always people from the airline right there when you get off the plane to help you. Just ask.

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

What ship are you on?

Bobbie

I'll be heading out on my first cruise Oct. 1!! I am very excited, but at the same time, feel very unprepared!! I think I'm mostly nervous about the whole check-in process and am afraid I won't have something that I need to get on the boat!

I received my travel booklet today from RCI. Just wondering how I get my plane tickets? I booked my flight through RCI also.

Since I am also a first time flier (Yikes!), can someone give me some tips on what I need to buy for my luggage? Do I need specific luggage tags, locks, etc.? Also...how do I find out what time I need to be at the airport and what things I can and cannot put into my carry-on? Again..I'm nervous about the whole airport process!

Thanks SO much!!

First, as already mentioned, your itinerary should be your tickets for both air and sea.

I have a good solid luggage tag with name and address, and always put the airline tags on as well. Save your cruise luggage tags till you get off the plane - if RCI is looking after the transfers to the ship, they'll have you put your luggage tags on before you get on the transfer bus. (If you put those tags on before you fly, they could get damaged on the airplane.)

You are no longer allowed to lock suitcases. If you do they are entitled to break the locks for security inspection. I have an adjustable "belt" which goes around my suitcase, but which is easily removed if need be.

Check with whatever airline you're booked on to see what their carry-on allowance is, and what you can put in. This information will usually be available right on the airline website, and is changing daily - so by October it may be different than it is today. At the moment most airlines are allowing one bag approximately the size of a computer carry-case. Nothing such as shampoo, hair spray, or wet cosmetics - and of course no scissors, Swiss Army knives, nail clippers - nothing sharp.

Enjoy! Hope it's a wonderful cruise.....

Fran in Toronto

You are no longer allowed to lock suitcases. If you do they are entitled to break the locks for security inspection. I have an adjustable "belt" which goes around my suitcase, but which is easily removed if need be.

You can lock suitcases, you just have to get the TSA approved locks - which are locks that the TSA can open if they need to inspect your bag - but nobody else can open them.

Almost forgot....

You must have (in hand not in checked luggage)

For flight:

*Drivers Licence

*Cruise docs (so you have flight info)

Confirm your flight online or by phone with the airline 24 hours before you leave if possible.

For cruise: (if you both are U.S. citizens)

*Passport or raised seal Birth Certificate with drivers licence.

*Set Sail pass (filled out online as soon as possible)

I would also have right along side that stuff....cash, and credit cards along with cruise line phone numbers, Travel Agent phone numbers, etc.

It looks from your CC name that you are getting married and this is your honeymoon? If so CONGRATS! :D

Almost forgot....

You must have (in hand not in checked luggage)

For flight:

*Drivers Licence

*Cruise docs (so you have flight info)

Confirm your flight online or by phone with the airline 24 hours before you leave if possible.

For cruise: (if you both are U.S. citizens)

*Passport or raised seal Birth Certificate with drivers licence.

*Set Sail pass (filled out online as soon as possible)

I would also have right along side that stuff....cash, and credit cards along with cruise line phone numbers, Travel Agent phone numbers, etc.

It looks from your CC name that you are getting married and this is your honeymoon? If so CONGRATS! :D

If you haven't already done so, you should call the airline to choose your seats on your flights. The sooner you do so, the better your selection will be. The cruiseline may have booked your flight but they aren't involved in seat selection so, unless you are willing to leave that totally up to the airline, give them a call asap.:)

Check out the airline's website for the latest information on what items you can carry onboard the plane and what items must be relegated to your checked luggage.

When you get to the airport you will check in your 2 bags. (Unless they are allowing more w/ the recent carry-on restrictions.) These bags cannot weigh over 50 pounds each or you will have to pay an extra fee. After that you will go through security where you will have to show your boarding pass and photo ID. You have to take off your jacket and probably shoes before going through the security gate. You will also have to empty your pockets of anything metal. Your carry-on items, shoes, jacket, change, are all put into tubs which will go through the x-ray machine. You will pick up all of your things on the other side of the security gate. Then you will go to your gate and wait with baited breath for boarding time!

Oh, you probably won't get any food (other than pretzels), so bring something to eat eg. granola bars.

You will board according to your row. When you get aboard, you will go to your seat and put your carry-on either in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. I use the bin so that I have foot room.

Take off is my very favorite thing about flying! I love the feel of the power of the jet as it sits at the end of the runway revving up its engines! And then . . . away you go!

They will serve you soda, water, juice and you can usually buy some alcoholic beverages.

I hope this helps explain some of the procedure for flying.

Have a great flight and a fabulous cruise!

Actually, you CAN use your own luggage locks--but, if they need or want to, they will cut them off. Then you will need to replace them. I prefer using my own--that way, if they are cut off, I know someone has been in my bag. With the TSA locks, there's no way to tell! (The locks aren't expensive, and I've only had to replace 1 lock, ever!)

You might want to pack a power strip to charge your cell phone and camera. I also bring an alarm clock,and a a nite light to find my way to the bathroom.

Once you are on the ship make your way to the dining room to find where you will be sitting for dinner. Have a great cruise.

I would use the TSA locks, if they do open your suitcase, they will leave a note inside the suitcase indicating, that yours has been opened and inspected. Using these locks, means your suitcase will always be locked.

Most importantly just have a great time, you will be hooked on cruising for life. Have a wonderful trip:rolleyes:

I went through the exact same thing a couple of years ago when I went on the Carnival Inspiration. Since then, I've gotten the bug. We had our honeymoon on Adventure and LOVED it!

Something I didn't know before....You can eat lunch when you get onboard in the Windjammer (the casual eatery)

And regarding TSA locks, I have some that have indicators on them. They turn from green to red if they have been opened by someone, and you can reset them. Found them at my travel agency.

Did you do the on-line check in for the cruise? That will speed things up when you get to the registration desk at the dock.

The best advice we were given, was to lay out all the clothes you plan to take with you, then put half of then back in the closest. We always take a lot more than we actually need.

I have started packing a roll of bubble wrap to wrap the breakable that we bring back.

Have a wonderful time.

Actually, you CAN use your own luggage locks--but, if they need or want to, they will cut them off. Then you will need to replace them. I prefer using my own--that way, if they are cut off, I know someone has been in my bag. With the TSA locks, there's no way to tell! (The locks aren't expensive, and I've only had to replace 1 lock, ever!)

We stopped using luggage locks altogether about four years ago, post 9/11, after being told to remove them from the suitcases. We do a lot of international flying, and a locked suitcase was out of the question. That's why I use the adjustable belt - makes my suitcase easy to recognise and holds it together in case the baggage handlers get rough with the luggage.:eek:

Perhaps it's flights within the US that allow the TSA approved locks?

Fran in Toronto

Archived