How far in advance do you start packing?

Mlkkc

We will start to pack 2 weeks prior to cruising.........not anything that can get wrinkeled, but t shirts, underwear, socks.....that type of stuff.......then we finish packing the weekend before we leave........now more than ever we want to weigh the suitcases BEFORE getting to the airport.

Alot of items I just leave in the suitecase from trip to trip. Items like the travel clock, power strip etc.

My packing list is on the computer and the only things that change are the clothes. So I begin everything except clothes that will wrinkle about 2 weeks before. By the weekend prior to leaving, everything is ready and packed to go. The night before, I put in the wrinkle items. Also the night before I make sure my carry on bag is packed and ready to go in the morning. :cool:

I have a stack ready at all times (over the door shoe holder, travel steamer) and then at about 7 weeks out (NOW) we start really accumulating things - sunscreen, dry cleaner bags for folding, kids snorkel/masks. This is when we also try on clothes (to the enjoyment of everyone, not) and I start formulating "outfits" for us to wear.

I usually start packing a few days before, but do most of the packing the night before! What can I say, I work well under pressure! However, I start "mentally packing" MONTHS before. I am already considering what I will be bringing on my December cruise! Especially now with the luggage changes!

We leave on Oct. 1 on the Rhapsody and I have a cruise basket of items in it now including power strip, air freshner (like the kind for a car that hangs), duck tape, insulated mugs, over the door shoe rack and other toiletry items. In our closets, I have our formal clothes ready, shoes, etc. The suitcase is out and we will start the "staging" process shortly after Labor Day. Friday before the cruise, I'll make sure the last laundry is done and finish packing.

Happy sailings all.

D :)

We are 57 days out from Freedom Cruise. i have already pulled out a garment rack and started placing all my hang up clothes that I MIGHT take and DH. Shorts and capris etc I will start placing in the suitcase.

Then I decide what Im actualy taking, Iron and will pack usualy a few days before.

Placing the hangup clothes in the night before.

Usually make a list 2 weeks before leaving then 3-4 days before leaving I pack the bags, check their weight and unpack and repack until I have the weight distributed correctly if we are flying. If we are not flying I usually pack the day before except the essentials we still need at home, that way I do not need to worry about wrinkling formal wear, etc.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We have about two months before our next cruise. Friday I went through the miscellaneous things in the cruise closet and made a list of things that needed to be added or replaced then shopped on Saturday. Those items are separated now into zip lock bags: those that go in checked baggage and those that go in the carry on. Like ISUJim, we'll be weighing those bags before leaving for the airport.

The serious packing will probably begin about two weeks out with the hanging items going in a few days before we leave.

For my DW and I, it is an ongoing thing. We usually take two cruises a year, 6 months apart, adn basically, we are always packing. Changing outfits in and out of our "cruise vault". All we have to do is just get them into the suitcases and we are ready.

We drag the luggage down from the attic about two weeks before, maybe more depending if something sends us up there earlier but we actually start packing the weekend before. I start "planning" on what to pack about a month prior. We are packing with weekend :cool:

I don't begin until the night before my flight leaves. As my next cruise leaves from San Diego, I probably will take a late-morning or early afternoon flight down; I might not even pack until early that morning.

I Hate Un-Packing (GRRRRRRRR) :p

Me too as that means the cruise is over! :eek:

I usually start lists and such about 6 weeks out and pack 2 weeks out. For out next trip on Sept 4, I'm lucky I have the luggage out! :p

Our last cruise had me "nuts" with the pound limit for the luggage:) SO for this upcoming cruise I am already packing mentally. I make a list and follow it so I don't forget anything. I'll probably get the luggage out in the middle of September (what a wonderful thought);)

Wow. I sure feel I am amongst my kind of people. 41 days? December starting now? Whew...soooo glad to hear I'm not the only one obsessed! I have two packing lists on my computer...one for cruises and one for land vacations. This is all part of the FUN of the trip is planning what to wear and bring. However I don't want to forget anything so the lists are there and they save a bunch of time.

By the way, Downy Wrinkle Release comes in a little travel/trial sized bottle! Saw it in the store yesterday and throught I'd pass it along. I don't usually buy the trial sizes but that's a great one to have.

Ta-Ta, Cathy

We start packing when we get home from the previous cruise. My DH wears his shorts and bathing suit only on vacation, so they go back in the suitcase (clean of course).

All of my misc. items ( powerstrip, small fan, tape, flashlight, snorkle equip., etc.) stays in the rolling duffle bag. Makes it alot easier when you are trying to gather everything else.

If I purchase anything new, I store it in the persons suitcase, and take it out and wash it about 2 weeks before trip.

I keep an expandable folder with all of my paperwork ( passports, travel insurance, hotel reservations, printed online check-in, and all emails from RCI showing price changes, any additional notes, and etc.). When it is time to sail its ready to go.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I have a "packing plastic tub" that I keep in a closet and add things to as I think of them months before. I have a regular vacation list on my computer, but add the cruise specials as I go. I cannot pull my luggage out until the last minute as our toy fox terrier hates to see it. Clothes aren't much of an issue for us since we live in Florida, but I rethink my wardrobe over a dozen times at least. I love to start early as it makes me feel part of the cruise has begun.

Wow. I sure feel I am amongst my kind of people. 41 days? December starting now? Whew...soooo glad to hear I'm not the only one obsessed! I have two packing lists on my computer...one for cruises and one for land vacations. This is all part of the FUN of the trip is planning what to wear and bring. However I don't want to forget anything so the lists are there and they save a bunch of time.

By the way, Downy Wrinkle Release comes in a little travel/trial sized bottle! Saw it in the store yesterday and throught I'd pass it along. I don't usually buy the trial sizes but that's a great one to have.

Ta-Ta, Cathy

Cathy, where did you find the travel size DWR? I looked at two different places yesterday and it was nowhere to be found.

Thank's everyone for not making me feel as if I was starting way too early I've tried that last miute packing last year and boy let's not talk about all the stuff I forgot ok, so I've decided to try packing early.

Archived