DIAMOND vs GOLDEN vs CORAL vs SAPPHIRE

CALMOM

Can anyone tell me any preferences in regards to the Golden, Coral, Diamond or Sapphire? I am trying to decide which of these 4 I want to sail on to Alaska next year. I know the size, cabins and staff, I just wanted to know if anyone has sailed on any of these what their thoughts are. I want either a balcony or mini-suite w/ balcony and I have heard that Caribe is the best deck for the larger balconies, I am planning my 20th Wedding Anniversary cruise and want it to be special since we never had a honeymoon. Thank you, I appreciate any assistance or advise.

I'm a big Princess fan, but I didn't like the Coral. She's a beautiful ship, but her top deck, where you will want to be if you're viewing glaciers, is surrounded with a blue plexiglass wind screen. My husband loves to take photos, and he was struggling with many other passengers to find a spot to take his pictures (He won:p )! I was unhappy with the very small bathrooms in the cabins. If you are a small person, this might not bother you. I honestly prefer the smaller balconies on the Aloha or Baha decks. On ever voyage, someone gets burned by a tossed cigarette or cigar butt on the Caribe deck!:mad: Does anyone know if the Coral still has Churchill's Lounge? That's my other problem with the Coral. They sold expensive Cigars to the men folk, who smoked freely on their balconies! I HATE smoke! With cigar smokers on both sides of my balcony, I couldn't use it half the time. On the plus side - she's beautiful, and Crooner's is the place for wonderful piano music!

PS Happy Anniversary! We had our Honeymoon in Alaska on our 25th, and it was worth the wait!

Thank you Tina G. I appreciate your info. I am a photographer so pictures are a major thing with me and yes, the screen would interfere. Though, I am relatively a small person, my husband is 6'3" and weight 280 so bathroom size is certainly a concern. I never thought about someone throwing things over board, pretty said that there are people so inconsiderate. I don't have a problem with smokers as long as they dispose of it properly. However, cigar smoking is just too much. I still cannot understand why they still let people smoke in their cabins, huge fire hazard and it smells up the cabin. Thanks again and Happy Anniversary to you. My husband still thinks were newlyweds, shh, don't tell him:), he still brings me flowers.

Calmom,

Although I cannot comment (yet) on the Coral or the Golden, we have cruised both the Sapphire and the Diamond, and although both are classified as "big" ships, we thoroughly loved them. Both ships were sold out, but we never felt like we were part of a large crowd. Many places to explore, many things to do, and incredible views of the glaciers, etc from the upper decks. There seemed to be many, many spots to get good views of the scenery on both the Sapphire and the Diamond. On the Diamond, we spent a lot of time on the area directly above the bridge--one could go back and forth from port to starboard in order to get the best pictures and catch the whale sightings, etc. DH & I only took about 800 pictures in the week--incredible scenery!

There are very few differences between the 2 ships.....I really had to look to spot the little things that were different. They are both only a few years old, quite well maintained, and laid out very nice. Last year, we celebrated our 17th anniversary (supposed to celebrate on our 10th--long story :rolleyes: ) on the Sapphire for a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip to Alaska--RT out of Seattle. As you can see in my signature, less than 8 months later, we were back on her sister ship doing the one-way Glacier Discovery voyage. Wow! I can honestly say that I would have no problem taking a cruise every year to Alaska, regardless of the ship. We had a balcony on the Sapphire and were booked in a minisuite on the Diamond (to get the extra space in the bathroom and in the cabin), but got bumped into the Family Suite...which was pretty cool. I can say that in the future I may cruise Alaska with an inside cabin, but for your first cruise, I would recommend having a balcony. It is SO convenient to run outside to look at something spectacular (glaciers, whales, eagles, more glaciers, sea otters, many more eagles--you get the idea) and then pop back in to get warm or continue getting ready for dinner. Also, my most favorite part of each cruise was waking up early and having a cup of coffee out on the deck, sometimes as the sun rose!

Happy Cruising and Happy Anniversary!

Sheri

I took the Diamond to Alaska two years ago and the Golden to New England last year. I have also been on the Grand Princess. I found the three ships to be very similar. I liked all three ships.

I have pictures of the Diamond and the Golden on my picture website. Use the link below.

I've been on the Sapphire, Golden, and Coral. (Sapphire and Coral to Alaska) I liked all three, but I preferred the Coral. I like the large balconies on the Caribe deck for the Caribbean, but prefer any covered balcony for Alaska -- cuts down on wind and rain IMO. You'll have a great time on any of those ships, I'm sure.

I have been on the Sapphire and the Coral and my pick is the Coral for many reasons. First we have been on her twice, once in a balcony and once in a mini. Balcony was on the Baja which was just fine but the showers are on the smallest size. Just this year we were on the Coral in a mini and loved it. We were on the Dolphin deck in the middle of the ship and not once did we have anything thrown on our patio. That is not to say that it does not happen but we had no problems. I was leeery about the open balcony on the Dolphin deck but people above you looked once, waved, said hello and then went about their business. Another reason for the Coral is the sizse(1950 passengers) just right in my opinion.

Sapphire was nice, had a great time but ship is big but easy to get around. In my personal opinion I would take the Coral to Alaska in a a heartbeat. One thing to consider in Alaska whatever ship does round trip out of Seattle will have alot of outside passage not inside. The Coral usually does the one way Voyage to the Glaciers from Vancouver to Whittier and visa-versa. So look at the itiniery very carefully. I have been there 3 times and learned the hard way about that.

marilyn

We've sailed on the Golden (Caribbean), Island (Hawaii) and Diamond (Alaska), and I believe the Island or Coral Princess has the nicest feel of any of them. The size of the ship is large enough to provide the amenities, but the passenger count is down, so you get the most public space around without crowding. The shower seems a bit cramped, but I found I was able to fit in by turning my back to the taps. The grab handle seemed to be in the middle and intruded into my space. The clothes hanger pole is the long closet that Princess has been putting into the newer ships, an inspired design in my opinion. Be sure to get your own balcony. You'll want to be in and out to see the ice. It's cold outside, and you'll need to warm up a bit now and then. But don't get hung up on the extended balcony. We found we didn't get in much time for a suntan. Too cold and wet in Alaska! Ordinary balcony is OK. And don't worry about port or starboard. The side closer to land is still too far away to see any bears.

Have sailed on the Golden, Star and Diamond and out of those 3, the Diamond is my favorite. Believe the Diamond and Sapphire were built in Japan and they are slightly different in the layout, which I preferred. Even though they are large ships, you never get the feel of being with 3000 some passengers because the public areas are arranged in such a way to make you think you are on a much smaller ship.

On an Alaskan cruise on Diamond, we had a Caribe Deck balcony cabin (which is partially covered) and it worked out great especially when it rained or misted. It also appeared to be a bit larger than other balconies. Would do that again, especially for Alaska.

Does anyone know if the Coral still has Churchill's Lounge? That's my other problem with the Coral. They sold expensive Cigars to the men folk, who smoked freely on their balconies! I HATE smoke! With cigar smokers on both sides of my balcony, I couldn't use it half the time.

The Coral, Diamond and Sapphire all have a Churchill's Cigar Lounge. On the Golden it's called the Players Cigar Bar. Cigars are big money makers.

Thanks for the info, Sonomaphil! Maybe I was just unlucky with my neighbors, but every morning my balcony table was covered with their ashes!:mad: About the bathrooms - OK, I'm a plus sized lady. I tripped over a suitcase while unpacking and fell into the bathroom. I was covered with VERY nasty bruises because I hit the toilet, shower and sink SIMULTANEOUSLY :eek: ! There was nowhere to fall. My 6'1" husband complained about the shower being too small. He votes for the Golden, twin of the Grand, which was his favorite ship, but itinerary is very important. All Princess ships will deliver a romantic experience for you! Alaska is a photographer's paradise!:) We got hooked on cruising, and Dec. 1 will be our 9th cruise.

I have been on Golden, Sapphire (sister to Diamond) and Coral Princess.

By far - the Coral Princess would be my choice. It is a much nicer ship and the size is great. The blue shields didn't seem that big of deal to me (and I love to take pictures) because each ship seems to have something similiar (except some of HAL ships).

IMO - the Coral/Island are some of the best ships in Princess's fleet.

Archived