Smoking on Adventure

Madkitty

Joie58

la,la,la - still waiting for you to cite from the RCCL website where it says smoking is permitted in cabins.

Please don't be critical of others without knowing the facts. Indeed, you state, "read the WHOLE rule." Please quote it!

Sorry you can't find it ... it's right beside the statement talking about the retractable roofs the Solariums have on Voyager class ships.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

"There are no non-smoking cabins. Smoking is permitted in designated areas in the bars and outside on open decks. All other areas onboard RCCL's ships are non-smoking, including elevators and showrooms."

Quoted from http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=225 .

This quote is from a Cruise Critic article, not the RCCL website.

Correct Yogi,

This quote WAS from the Cruise Critic site. I stated earlier that I could not find anything on the RCCL site that said smoking was allowed in the staterooms. I also said that the in-room documentation stated that ashtrays were available upon request. If smoking was not allowed, I doubt that the cruise line would offer these.

Let's not kid ourselves here.

Cabin Attendants offer up ashtrays for smoking in the cabin - if they are not following the rules, why should the passengers?

I smoke, but NEVER inside the cabin - we always book balconies and that is where I go to puff.

Even as a smoker, I always book non-smoking hotel rooms - there is nothing worse than the nasty smell of stale smoke all over the room. I always smoke outside (even at home) so the smoke smell doesn't have the opportunity to get all over my clothes.

I still agree that the smell of cigarette smoke is nasty - and I'm a smoker.

Go Figure :rolleyes:

Ditto - never in a cabin, only on the balcony or a well placed ocean view cabin that has easy access to an open deck (1 deck up)on the starboard side.

PMshirl - no smoking in the cabin, was this on the crown only or is this a new policy for Princess. Enguiring minds (puff, puff) want to know. Thanks

Actually, Royal Caribbean's website implies that smoking is not allowed in cabins! Here is exactly what they say...

"For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, smoking is prohibited onboard most areas of our ship. However, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have special designated smoking areas in many of our lounges and on all open-air decks."

The above is from FAQs.

The plain languiage of the above is that smoking is only allowed is specially designated areas in lounges and open-air decks.

Yet when you call them and request a non smoking room you are told there are NO non smoking rooms on the cruiseships so that tells me smoking is allowed in your cabin and on your balcony. ;) I would consider a balcony an open air deck also. Somewhere on these boards CC did a whole article on where you can smoke on all cruiselines. :)

Odd. There was NO ashtray in our cabin on either of our cruises. Didn't want one either.

Odd. There HAVE BEEN ashtrays in my cabin every cruise I've been on. Didn't want one either.

---

Guess what... some people just get "lucky". Sometimes they may be there, sometimes they may not. But yet again... it 100% refutes the notion that you MUST request ashtrays from a room steward. And it refutes the notion that they are breaking a rule for tips sake when they do so.

The reason is simple - TIPS! Cabin stewards will also provide ice and other amenities for those who are clearly violating policy and rules by bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. The language RCL uses is clear - no alcoholic beverages are to be brought onboard.

Why??? Their tips will depend upon it! Ashtrays - same thing. It's all about tips!

I don't smoke, but my DH does, on the balcony.

The stewards may give you ashtrays for tips, even if they are not supposed to, but I think that they would be encouraged to give out ashtrays if requested. I think the consequences of not giving them out could be alot worse.

I personally wouldn't want to be on a ship where people were finding their own ways to dispose of lit cigarettes, would you?

I don't smoke, but my DH does, on the balcony.

The stewards may give you ashtrays for tips, even if they are not supposed to, but I think that they would be encouraged to give out ashtrays if requested. I think the consequences of not giving them out could be alot worse.

I personally wouldn't want to be on a ship where people were finding their own ways to dispose of lit cigarettes, would you?

Cabin attendents do not give out ashtrays to get tips. That is what some people use to justify their position on the subject. When on board, either go to the front desk or stop an officer, neither of who receive tips and ask, "Can people smoke in cabins and their balconies?" They will tell you that you can. That will take the tip argument out of the equation.

You can ask the same about other subjects that some on here says is because of tips and get an answer for those too. I have and the tip argument just doesn't work on me.

On this and a few other subjects, I don't say whether I believe it is right or wrong, I just like to know company policy on them.

I try not to assume anything. That's why I ask the right people on the ships and get a correct answer. They would need a lot more bandwidth to try to put everything on the web site.

But people put everything on this website:) :rolleyes: ;)

non sequitor!

Wrong ... it completely relates. If I can prove that someone is a liar anything they say can be put into question. Royal Caribbean doesn't have some of their facts straight. Otherwise, people wouldn't continue to argue either way about suggested fashion or travel irons. It is best to point out that Royal Caribbean can be 100% wrong on their website. Because of this there is a need for an outside source of verification. This is why some people come here for verification.

It's been pointed out to you that it is in cabin literature. You've been referred to a section on this website citing the smoking policy. And as an additional tidbit, sometimes Royal Caribbean just has something wrong on their website.

I can understand why they have it phrased the way they do. In their position, they are in a lose/lose situation. By phrasing it in an ambiguous way, it leads people to a wrong but beneficial conclusion that smoking is not allowed in cabins. Non-smokers board and think they've got a cabin that has been 100% "smoke free". Smokers board and think they should smoke in lounges and other designated areas. This gives them a widened customer base, cleaner cabins, and a lower risk of a fire.

Gkrebs: I only ever cruised Pricess on the Crown Ship. So yes it was only on the Crown ( that I have knowledge of) that you CANNOT smoke in the cabin, I will be sailing on the Radiance Sept 23, 2006. I am going to ask directly at the pursors desk about Rc policy on smoking inside the cabins. If I can find this post when I return Oct 7th, I will give you the answer and also try to get something in WRITING from RC on this POLICY so that it is SETTLED! I did smoke in MY Cabin on the AOS and not once was I told that it was not allowed. The cabin steward viewed me smoking, a Security Crew memeber in the hallway saw me smoking as I was entering my cabin, and No One said a word!

cruise critic on various cruise lines smoking policies. As you can see there are no non-smoking cabins on RCCL and Princess fleetwide. It has always been that way, hasn't changed ,never had non smoking cabins except for the failed experiment with Paridise. The references that were earlier quoted are for public areas only. I do not smoke but am passing on what the real policy is.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=225

I don't know when the above CC post was made, but I can attest that SMOKING was NOT allowed on the Crown Princess in July 2006 in any stateroom. I take my own ashtrays with me when I travel and the cabin steward took them from my stateroom! When I questioned the steward he stated SMOKING IS NOT ALLOWED INSIDE THE STATEROOM !!!!

For the most part, ashtrays have been on the counter next to the ice bucket and glasses. Next time your there and there isn't an ashtray in clear view, try checking on 'top' of the cabinets above the counter. Asked a steward for one once and he reached up there to retrieve it. Ever since, if not out... I've looked up and Voila! the place where ashtrays live when not in use! :)

When we sailed on Majesty in June there were no ashtrays in the room when we first entered. I smoked a cigarette and used one of the glasses from the bathroom as an ashtray and left it sitting on the balcony. We left the room for about and hour and when we returned there was an ashtray on the table.

I do remember seeing the "no non-smoking rooms" on the RCCL website when I was researching our cruise but I can't find it anymore.

On another note, after smoking 2 packs a day for the past 22 years I haven't smoked for 8 days!!!!!! :D

I can't wait for our cruise next May to see what it is like to travel and not constantly be thinking about getting my next smoke.

Last October while on AOS I asked the cabin stewart for an ashtray. He replied "I'm sorry but Royal Caribbean does not allow smoking in the cabins." I said ok and smoked in the areas that were posted for smoking. With so little time spent in the cabins it really isn't an issue.

Archived