Anyone ever been served a "watered" drink?

USNDiver

On my last cruise (Carnival) the drinks seemed to become a little "watery" as the cruise went on. I generally drink gin martini's and can tell when they've been cut (these were.) Has this ever happened to anyone else? Which line?

Cheers,

Dave

On my last cruise (Carnival) the drinks seemed to become a little "watery" as the cruise went on. I generally drink gin martini's and can tell when they've been cut (these were.) Has this ever happened to anyone else? Which line?

Cheers,

Dave

One of my employees told me the same thing. It might be that they used wet ice, or had shaken the gin. By the way, I asked a question in a previous topic about bruising. The term simply mean to water a spirit. So when you shake a drink some water enters into the mix.

I have had watery drinks on just about every cruise I have been on. And its not just me, my wife as well. We had trouble getting familiar with the taste because it was far different than where we were are from but in all cases there was no need for us to complain because thats what we asked for... Just add a slice of lemon.

• 4 weeks later...
I have had watery drinks on just about every cruise I have been on. And its not just me, my wife as well. We had trouble getting familiar with the taste because it was far different than where we were are from but in all cases there was no need for us to complain because thats what we asked for... Just add a slice of lemon.

I know I have as I usually ask for Long Island Iced Tea, so I can get more bang for my buck & it is so weak, I barely get a buzz off them at all. Anna

those are usually made with less liquor because 1. they cost less, 2. people who buy them are less concerned about the amount of alcohol than the color and fruit content and 3. they like the glasses more than the contents. One man's opinion. Also a watered martini (gin or vodka) would have to have the liquor bottle watered ahead of time as it's really cold straight booze w/ a splach of vermouth. Anything else is a cocktail no matter what shape glass it is served in.

• 9 months later...

I am a professional bartender and have found that on both land and sea the incidences of true drink watering to be rare. When a drink seems "watered" it has usually sat too long at the bar before being run to a table by a server. This is especially true for drinks served on the rocks. Many bartenders (myself included) will hold strained drinks, like Martinis, in the mixer until the server is able to run the order and then pour at the last second. This produces the best drink and rarely dilutes the product unless the drink has sat for a long time.

For the best drink service consider your location before ordering:

In the dining room I always order beer or wine. The servers have to juggle too many things to give proper cocktail service and the bar is often pretty far from the dining room. By the time that a server can get to the bar to pick up a martini or highball it has often had a chance to melt too much ice and will taste watery.

I save cocktails for the lounge or bar. Cocktail servers understand the importance of timeliness to liquor service. Feel free to order from either the server or bartender unless the server seems "swamped". In that case order directly from the bartender.

One last note on the perceived strength of a drink:

Don't be one of these yokels that ask for a drink with no ice or light ice and expects the drink to be stronger. The amount of liquor in a drink is always the same. Professional bars always fill the glass with ice. If you like an appropriatly strong drink ice is your friend. Ice displaces more of the mixers in a mixed drink with a constant amount of liquor, in a drink served straight over the rocks more ice will keep the drink colder and melt less than a smaller amount of ice which will melt faster and water down the drink more

Ok, I'm off the soap box. Everybody have fun tonight!

Never have noticed any on RCI being watery (not that they aren't, I might not notice the difference! LOL), but I always order strawberry daiquiris onboard and most of the time I the bar staff tells me to say "when" when I think they've added enough rum. They've always been pretty strong.

Out on deck on warm weather cruises the drinks might be watered down by the ambient temps on deck 85-90F; which will be the temps of the booze poured on ice which will cause the ice to melt at a faster rate. Additionally many of the mixers will be that same temp.

Harvey

Only when we aren't paying for them... :)

The "captains cocktail party" on Princess served very watered down drinks. We could tell because we tried a lot of them, and received no effect.

I finally took the advice of an Aussie fellow on the cruise, and ordered beer or wine during these "hospitality events". It always took several more minutes to fill my order, but the drink I received was the "real thing".

Bob

• 4 months later...

Thanks Morgan - I was about to post the same thing. Since a martini is all liquor, it's tough to water down unless they are actually putting water into the bottles. That's illegal in the states at least, and I doubt they'd bother - they can always just raise the prices again if they don't feel they're charging enough for a shot that only costs a dollar to pour. I avoid waiters/waitresses like the plague when I drink mixed drinks, precisely because I don't want them sitting at the service bar for 10 minutes before I get them. At dinner on a cruise ship, I drink wine. After dinner, I sit at the bar and watch my bartender work. I tip him/her well, and have never had a drink any more watered down than I requested (I usually drink jack and water, heavy on the ice, so obviously there's some in there per my request).

Just a note of observation on the Carnival fun ship. Their signiture drink the day you leave on the cruise is called the Fun Ship those ones that they sell in those glasses up on the lido deck. I noticed that they have 3oz of booze in them and all other days their drink of the day only has 1 1/2oz in them. Just wondering why??? Hummmm any thoughts on this one??? Anna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am a professional bartender and have found that on both land and sea the incidences of true drink watering to be rare. When a drink seems "watered" it has usually sat too long at the bar before being run to a table by a server. This is especially true for drinks served on the rocks.

Thanks for that insight. I prefer drinks directly from the bartender instead of a waiter and that must be why!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had one drink on RCCL Mariner that I thought wasnt strong enough and asked the bar tender about it.....he took it back and fixed it..........wwwwhhheeeeeewwwwww.........toxic it must have been a quadriple........still buzzin':eek:

Archived