Photo dvlp. svc on board-a digital camera querry

bravemom

a couple of questions-

we plan to take alot of photos on our digital camera when we cruise alaska:

1. are there services on board to have digital pics just transferred from the memory stick to a disk (then I don't have to take as many memory sticks), if so any idea of the cost?

2. we know that there are computers available for internet use at the e-cafe's. anyone know if there is any capacity to upload from your digital and email it to yourself (or to Walmart.com who will have them printed for me to pick up when I get home)?

This is a good question. My gut reaction is that uploading pictures of any quantity would be a problem because of the size of the attachments. I would think you'd either get hit with a size limitation or it would take too long and would be terribly expensive. On our next cruise we'll have the capability to store up to 1,600 digital pictures and, since we're driving to port and don't have to hassle with lugging stuff through airports, I'll have my standard 35mm SLR. I've gone to having my regular film pictures both printed and put on a CD. Around here that only takes a few hours so not much to be gained by being able to send them home before returning from the cruise.

I agree that it would be difficult to find a place to upload your pictures. You may take your memory stick to the photo department and they will load them onto their server in a personal folder for you. At the end of the cruise, they will burn them all onto a CD. Just be advised that stuff happens. I saw on another board one time that the photo folks lost their stored folder. All pictures gone! It's probably only a remote possibility ... but consider your options.

Memory sticks (for Sony products) are cheaper than ever. I just purchased a 256 MB stick on eBay for less than $70. My advice would be to invest in some more storage so you can take them all home yourself. If you want to have the ship burn a CD for your convenience, that's fine. But if something happens, you'll still have your original files.

we plan to take alot of photos on our digital camera when we cruise alaska:

1. are there services on board to have digital pics just transferred from the memory stick to a disk (then I don't have to take as many memory sticks), if so any idea of the cost?

The ship's photo service includes burning a CD from your memory stick. Just be sure that the burn actually happened before you delete the stick. I made that mistake on Zuiderdam. I didn't discover it until we got home. HAL's home office refunded my money, but the photos were gone forever.

Archived