American $$$

FreesiaE

We had planned to "buy" Canadian dollars at our bank for our upcoming cruise until we found out that we had to pay a fee of almost as much as the exchange rate. We decided to just go with American $$$ for small things and charge as much as we can. Our credit card company doesn't charge a fee. I figure we might come out a few pennies behind but not enough for the hassle of keeping track of 2 kinds of $$$.

Having been to Victoria and Vancouver many times and also Eastern Canada we have learned to bring small bills on shore. Like for example 1's, 5's and 10s dollar bills. Then if you buy something try not to get so much Canadian monies in return that you will have to exchange.

Works for us.

Marilyn

You of course can use your American money, the rate is not the best in most places here in town anymore. I suggest using your credit card that way you will get the best exchange rate with your bank.

Thaks, you confirmed our thoughts. We will charge what we can and use USD if we can't charge. Less than 3 days till our cruise. :D :D :D

If I'm ever in Newport News VA can I use my CDN $ to purchase items?

Coins, maybe, but probably not paper money. I have occasionally received Canadian coins in change here but not recently. However, Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens (both close by) would probably accept Canadian money without a problem because they are tourist locations.

If we were planning to go places other than tourist areas or if we were doing a land vacation instead of a cruise we would definitely "buy" Canadian currency. For the amount that we would need for this cruise, the fee was almost as much as the exchange rate and didn't seem practical to us.

You of course can use your American money, the rate is not the best in most places here in town anymore. I suggest using your credit card that way you will get the best exchange rate with your bank.

Have just ret. from Canada, we did find using our credit card to be our best bet --- but some of the places we ate and shopped did not accept credit cards, or did not accept Mastercard - so just be prepared and have cash on hand as well. We found the use of our US dollars to be an interesting concept in that the businesses varied with how they exchanged them. Some did even exchange (in which you got shorted a bit), some just called it even, even if we owed them a bit more to keep us from having to cash an additional US dollar, some did the current exchange rate. But everyone was very friendly and wonderful to deal with.

• 4 weeks later...
If you don't pay bank fees for using your debit card through the INTERAC network then I would suggest just buying everything using your debit card. Including $2 coffees at starbucks. I live in BC and I rarely use cash. A lot of cabs even take debit cards now.

Or just go to an ATM and take out the amount you will need in Canadian currency.

If you don't pay bank fees for using your debit card through the INTERAC network then I would suggest just buying everything using your debit card. Including $2 coffees at starbucks. I live in BC and I rarely use cash. A lot of cabs even take debit cards now.

This thread is old, but I'll reply to the point made here. The original poster is American; not sure if s/he can use an American debit card in Canada. I know I cannot use my Canadian debit card across the border in Washington State - it simply doesn't go through.

I live in the Vancouver area and I also use debit almost exclusively, but an American tourist in Canada may not be able to use their debit card here. Just a warning/thought.

Archived