Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I've tried 3 times to get a room in San Pedro 2/13/10. Started at $65 and final try was today at $72. Think it's because it's Valentine's weekend???? Seriously?

I had no problems earlier this year getting the Crowne Plaza for $65 in May on my first try.

I've had no luck so far bidding Priceline, for San Pedro 3.5 stars for 12-5-09 to 12-06-09. Started at $65 and went up to $80. No luck.

Now going back to $65 and will try again. Any wisdom/ encouragement/ thoughts?

Departing SP on Mariner 12-06-09.

Thanks in advance!

I've had no luck so far bidding Priceline, for San Pedro 3.5 stars for 12-5-09 to 12-06-09. Started at $65 and went up to $80. No luck.

Thanks in advance!

I heard on another thread that now you need to bid about $95 to secure the Crowne Plaza - San Pedro. Maybe they will get lower later in the year. Good luck.

I heard on another thread that now you need to bid about $95 to secure the Crowne Plaza - San Pedro. Maybe they will get lower later in the year. Good luck.

Thank you, Michigan Mama. :) I'll keep on trying. I've got my credit card number memorized now,as many times as I've tried! hehe

I was thinking they may drop later as well, however I noticed Summercruise & TexasAnn scored early.

FYI - I just bid on Priceline for a hotel in San Pedro for Nov. 6 and scored the Doubletree Hotel in San Pedro, I'm thrilled. If anyone needs a good place to stay for an excellent price here is my info -

Long Beach Area

San Pedro City

Nov. 6, 2009

3-1/2*

$69 ($86.27 total)

Cheers,

Debr

Thank you, Michigan Mama. :) I'll keep on trying. I've got my credit card number memorized now,as many times as I've tried! hehe

I was thinking they may drop later as well, however I noticed Summercruise & TexasAnn scored early.

Durangler,

I'm also on the Dec. 6 Mariner, tried bidding a couple of days ago for 3 1/2* in San Pedro to $75 for the 4th and 5th, gave up. Noticed on the expedia type sites the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza were fairly high, I think $139 and $165 respectively. At least for Doubletree, all the low end rooms appeared to be sold out, with only Marina views left. Even Hotwire was showing $124 for its 3*, which would be one of these two for sure. I doubt these hotels are going to get cheap for our cruise weekend. The airport hotels are cheap, though. We're opting for a B&B in Long Beach now, free parking, free breakfast, free internet, free beer and wine.

Dennis

I just got the Doubletree in San Pedro for $75 + tax on Nov. 15th...thanks to Dennis' info! I started at $65 and then lowered to 3* and offered $75. Might have done better but I'm okay with my first attempt at this Priceline thing! Told my friend we might be sleeping on the lawn but we got a good deal!

Gayle

Durangler,

I'm also on the Dec. 6 Mariner, tried bidding a couple of days ago for 3 1/2* in San Pedro to $75 for the 4th and 5th, gave up. Noticed on the expedia type sites the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza were fairly high, I think $139 and $165 respectively. At least for Doubletree, all the low end rooms appeared to be sold out, with only Marina views left. Even Hotwire was showing $124 for its 3*, which would be one of these two for sure. I doubt these hotels are going to get cheap for our cruise weekend. The airport hotels are cheap, though. We're opting for a B&B in Long Beach now, free parking, free breakfast, free internet, free beer and wine.

Dennis

Hi Dennis - I'm considering this alternative :

Doubletree Carson, Park-n-Sail is $119 + $10.71 tax = 129.71, with breakfast, free parking (7 days) and free shuttle. I hear the Doubletree in SP alows parking for your cruise. Parking at Crown Plaza is $10 a day. No guarantee of getting either hotel at $65 thru Priceline. Probably more. We're driving from Phoenix, arriving mid-afternoon, just staying one night. So, not much time for sightseeing prior to sailing. Will probably drive the 7 or 8 miles from Carson to pier for a look around before dinner. It's not a priority for us to stay one night in SP. After all, my 1st plan was to drive on sail day & park at the dock! :) Wife changed my mind on that! LOL

Thanks in advance!

After trying for several days and going up to $80... I decided to fly in a day early. So I rebid and dropped the bid down back to $60 and the offer was accepted. So we ended up with the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights at $60 per night 2/12 and 2/13.

We also found if we fly into Orange County on Southwest, it's $180 pp cheaper than LAX, so we're still coming out ahead!

I'm thinking they're putting a 2-day minimum on some weekends - and ours just happened to be Valentine's Day weekend.

Good luck!

After trying for several days and going up to $80... I decided to fly in a day early. So I rebid and dropped the bid down back to $60 and the offer was accepted. So we ended up with the Crowne Plaza for 2 nights at $60 per night 2/12 and 2/13.

We also found if we fly into Orange County on Southwest, it's $180 pp cheaper than LAX, so we're still coming out ahead!

I'm thinking they're putting a 2-day minimum on some weekends - and ours just happened to be Valentine's Day weekend.

Good luck!

Wow! Congrats on the score!!

One more thing to check off your list!

I just got the Doubletree in San Pedro for $75 + tax on Nov. 15th...thanks to Dennis' info! I started at $65 and then lowered to 3* and offered $75. Might have done better but I'm okay with my first attempt at this Priceline thing! Told my friend we might be sleeping on the lawn but we got a good deal!

Gayle

Gayle,

Congratulations, by getting a first bid rejected you know you didn't overpay by very much, if at all, and you got one of the good hotels.

However, as a tip for next time, be careful with adding lower star ratings (I hardlly ever do that). Both the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza are rated 3-1/2* according to www.betterbidding.com (you would see this by selecting LA-Priceline, then select Hotel List on the following page). So, your first bid was just right. But by adding the 3* selection, you're giving Priceline the right to give you a 3* hotel (like a Red Lion), even if Crowne Plaza was willing to sell you a room at $75. The trick is not to select lower star ratings, but instead select an additional area if and only if it does not contain a star rating equal to or greater than what you have selected (here, 3-1/2 stars). In this case, the Long Beach Airport's highest is 3*, and the other two regions have 3-1/2*. Therefore, by adding Long Beach Airport only, you essentially get a "free rebid" that allows you bump the offer bid by $5 or $10 or whatever without any chance of getting that Red Lion.

I know it seems a little complex, but it's the only safe way of getting an extra bid in, and after a couple of times it will become second nature. On a larger area, like LAX itself, you can use the technique to get three or four free rebids in a day day. Or, just wait 24 hours and do it again.

Anyway, good job. And you're the one with the hotel while I'm still beating around trying to find a good price for my weekend :confused:

Dennis

Going to Seattle in August 2010 and tried Priceline with no luck. I am sure it is way too early but I did check Hotwire as well. I got the Radisson Gateway 3* for $69 precruise and Hyatt Olive 8 post cruise 4* for $116. I was happy with those prices so I already booked both.

I just bid $85 for one room for 03/19/10.

Accepted immediately.

Over bid? Perhaps, but I'm still pleased, as their "lowest internet booking" was $143.

Actually, I did overbid, it seems. My daughter and her family are sailing with us, and I suggested that she offer a bid of $65. Her bid was accepted. Crowne Plaza LA Harbor.

I tried to find a room at Doubletree or Crown Plaza and both show no availability on 12/5 (night before the cruise) on either of the web sites. So the priceline probably won;t work. Unless I try priceline for Thursday and Friday, then move somewhere else on Saturday.

Does anyone know if there is a hotel in long beach that has a shuttle to San Pedro pier, or if there is a shuttle service and how much it costs??

Thanks for any help.

Fran

Hi -- I've been trying for a couple weeks on Priceline to get the C. Plaza or Dbltree in San Pedro for Oct. 31 for one night before our 11/1 Mariner sailing. Finally panicked a little and booked through Hotwire and wound up with the Doubletree for $67/$82 total w/fees. Pretty pleased w/that, as my $65 Priceline bid would have been about the same amount. It was posted on Hotwire as a 3 star in San Pedro, so I figured it would be one or the other.

Hope this helps others!:)