Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

City: San Francisco

Hotel: Best Western Tuscan Inn at Fisherman’s Wharf

Stay: Nov 02, 2009 1 night

Price: USD 60 plus $16.50 = Total USD 76.50

Started two days earlier at $54 and got it last night at $60. On the hotel’s web site rooms start at $159.

Gisela

Should I gather from the bids ya'll are reporting that I shouldn't bother submitting a bid this early (our cruise is in May) - that the best deals normally show up a month or so before the date?

Just found this thread. I did priceline back in March/April for August 6-8

4* Westin Seatlle downtown $75. Had wondered the same thing about waiting or booking months in advance but I only submitted $70 & $75 bids and figured if it was accepted- great.

Is going up in increments of $1 ideal or unnecessary? Like would $2-3 per day increase be better?

It just depends how keenly you want to price things, how much time you have and the flexibility of the areas. $1 is the minimum amount, so the minimum acceptable may only be $1 higher than your last bid, but if you bid $2 than you'll pay $1 more than you could have.

OTOH, bidding $1 at a time takes more time so you might not have enough time to make so many bids to reach the maximum e.g. if you start really low or they're just in high demand. It just comes down to preference and value, and the specifics of the situation.

We have a cruise booked in Oct out of San Diego and I've read several posts with hotels in San Diego (downtown and port). Looks like most are getting $80-$85 for 4* and $60-$65 for 3*.

I have only used Priceline a couple of times and do not really know the ins & outs of the bidding. Does anyone think that the 4* would go for less, closer to the dates you want.

I was hoping to get one near the port for the $60-$65 price. Does that sound realistict??

Thanks for your help

I have only used Priceline a couple of times and do not really know the ins & outs of the bidding. Does anyone think that the 4* would go for less, closer to the dates you want.

I was hoping to get one near the port for the $60-$65 price. Does that sound realistict??

That's a matter of luck. As the dates closer, the prices will too - if they haven't sold much already. If they have then prices will rise. If you don't think many others will travel when you are then you can wait it out, but if you aren't correct, then you will pay more, and lose choices.

Regarding price, I don't think that is realistic; I haven't seen 4* that low there and as you said most are paying $80+.

Has anyone been getting 4* Downtown Seattle for less than $100?

I've just spent a couple of hours and several emails walking friends through the entire Priceline and Hotwire process (this was on the phone between Florida and the Canary Islands:D) and they were then able to land the 4* Seattle Westin for $67 per night from Aug. 23-26.

To answer your next posting question -- the only extra charges that might occur are Resort fees if you bid on the resort category (don't believe that exists in Seattle) and parking fees, which will occur in any major city hotel+ any other incidental charges that you add on to your hotel bill. Your total Priceline charges will appear before you actually place your bid after entering your credit card information.

Edited by TenerifeSharon

I bid for precruise for June 2010 for Seattle. I chose Pike Market area. I started at 75 and increased by $5 each time and still got denied up to 95. I then started increasing my bid by 1.00 each day. Every day I got the message I could re bid if I increased my bid by 22. I didn't take the bait. I finally got a hit at $101. We will be staying the Hyatt At Olive 8.

To answer your next posting question -- the only extra charges that might occur are Resort fees if you bid on the resort category (don't believe that exists in Seattle)

I'm not sure about Seattle, but will clarify that you may be charged "resort" surcharges by hotels, even if they are not in the Resort category.

I'm not sure about Seattle, but will clarify that you may be charged "resort" surcharges by hotels, even if they are not in the Resort category.

That is true, but then they are AFAIK hotels that charge the same "resort" fees of all guests, not only those having won their rooms on Priceline. But it is always frustrating finding "resort" charges on your bill that were unexpected, especially if those chartges are for things that you did not use (pool loungers, local phone calls etc.):(

We have a flight out of vancouver at 10:30 P.M. the ship docks early in the A.M. I am wondering if it would pay to get a room at the airport just for the day to store our luggage and freshen up before the flight. We don't need a fancy hotel room. What star rating would I ask for on priceline and what area would I indicate. What would be a good starting bid? Thanks for your help!

We have a flight out of vancouver at 10:30 P.M. the ship docks early in the A.M. I am wondering if it would pay to get a room at the airport just for the day to store our luggage and freshen up before the flight. We don't need a fancy hotel room. What star rating would I ask for on priceline and what area would I indicate. What would be a good starting bid? Thanks for your help!

I would bid Vancouver Airport, 3 star, but no lower than 2.5 star. I saw some people on biddingfortravel getting rooms in the 3 star category at $65, $68, and $74. I saw one person get the Coast hotel at a 2.5 star rating for $41. Bear in mind there will be taxes and fees added to that, approximately $20 USD. The Coast Hotel reportedly had a shuttle to take you to the airport, but I would perhaps try to check on that before I bid on a 2.5 star hotel. Hopefully, the 3 stars would have a shuttle as well. You just expect that from an airport hotel.

Perhaps consider using Hotwire. From their "icons" you can immediately spot which hotel offers an airport shuttle. And be sure to use http://www.betterbidding.com to search their Hotwire hotel list for Vancouver. Then you will know exactly (generally) which hotel you would be booking.

P.S. Didn't know the date for which you are needing a hotel. Otherwise, I would have done a preliminary search for you.

Edited by TenerifeSharon