Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I know most people in this thread are Priceline veterans, but here is a guide I've created and given talks about at my University. It is made for conference travel but works just fine for cruising too.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~cmong/trip/conference_travel.pdf

Hope someone can find it useful. :)

Thanks Chris that was great. I always book on Priceline. It's the best way to save a lot of money while traveling. I consider myself the "frugal traveler" and your helpful hints will save anyone money if they take the time to read your presentation and follow through.

Marion

There will be two adults and one child, age 14. We want two queen beds. How can we be sure we get that type of room when bidding on either Priceline or Hotwire? I don't want to bid on a hotel and find out I have been given a room with one twin bed :eek:

Also, how far in advance should I bid? If I need the room for early July, 2010 when should I start the bidding. If it is non-refundable I don't want to take the chance of bidding and then have to change our plans for whatever reason. :cool:

Do they still have rooms with one twin bed?

Usually they give you two queens or two fulls. Good chance you will get two beds in the room. I have always gotten the two beds when booking on Priceline. You can call the hotel directly once you get your bid accepted.

Marion

There will be two adults and one child, age 14. We want two queen beds. How can we be sure we get that type of room when bidding on either Priceline or Hotwire? I don't want to bid on a hotel and find out I have been given a room with one twin bed :eek:

Also, how far in advance should I bid? If I need the room for early July, 2010 when should I start the bidding. If it is non-refundable I don't want to take the chance of bidding and then have to change our plans for whatever reason. :cool:

I have, on occasion, gotten one room with a single queen or a single king. Priceline bids are guaranteed for two only. With that being said, I've often been accommodated by a request for two beds, but if the place is otherwise completely booked, you get what's left. I've also used Hotwire to specify three occupancy and still gotten one bed (don't even get me stated on that one ... though Hotwire gave me money for future travel and reimbursed me for the roll-away). Now when I use Hotwire I check the prices, then specify 2 adults and 2 children ... typically the price stays the same and there's no way a single-king room can have an occupancy of 4.

For early July, you probably won't have successful bidding (at least at a good price point) until March IMO. If you are worried, you might just wait until you have made final cruise payment and are otherwise fairly locked in to your trip.

Just got the Holiday Inn downtown San Diego on Priceline for $60 plus $15.30 in tax. Bid 3 stars downtown and was hoping for the Holiday Inn on the bay but this will work almost as good for probably a little bit cheaper.:)

I originally only bid $50 today but got this on a rebid by using another zone, in this case Chula Vista, that had no 3 star rated hotels.;)

After bidding $89 and $99 for the past few months for a 4 star in Seattle/Pike area I noticed Hotwire showed a 4 star for $135 last night. Now I know if I waited closer to to when we were traveling (May 2010) I could do better, but I decided to try $105 (rejected) then $115 and it was accepted for The W Hotel. Rack rate starts at $329.

When should I start bidding for a hotel in San Diego for April 2010?:confused:

Yes, start now, it won't hurt but know that the rooms may not have been released to Priceline yet.

My gut feeling is that when the airline schedules, such as Southwest Airlines are released to book out ahead of time then I think the rooms are released to Priceline. Again, this is just my observation/gut feeling, this is not scientific but an educated guess. I have been wrong before.

Just booked hotel in Miami and for the first time I am disapointed with Priceline. Part of it my fault, but still not real happy.

I have researched hotels in the beach area and had a good idea on how much hotels in South Beach were. I also researched their star rating and price ranges. Historically, I always start early and it takes a few days for me to get something. I always start ridiculously low and work up also.

Anyway, did a map search on the area and came up with about ten hotels, saw prices, etc. Then looked at the overall list of hotels, checking the ratings, prices etc.

Then here are the steps I took:

Selected South Beach, 4* and entered $101 (they suggested retail in the area averaged $291).

When it rejected (as I knew it would), I added Central South Beach, 4* and $102. Rejected. So I added 3 1/2*, rejected.

OK, end of first day.

And to accelerate long story, fastforward: Went back and went through same thing and with 3 1/2* average price being $188. Anyway, ended up working my way up to $121. ACCEPTED.

I ended up with an obscure hotel which was buried in the master list of hotels but did not show up on the map. The hard price to book the same room is about $129 with the cheapest, direct booking available was $120. I kinda figure with Priceline's fee and the risk I took not selecting the accomodations I want, I actually paid more (albeit not much).

After checking the hotel out, it will be fine and am confident it will work out but I don't think that it was worth the hassle and risk. In addition, the $120 price had the usual cancellation policy and I did not have to pay for the entire stay, just a one night deposit, being able to cancel 24 hours in advance.

Moral of the story is: I'm not happy with Priceline in this case as my risk was greater, I paid more, lost ability to cancel, select room, paid up front and spent a lot of time to do it. There's something wrong with that picture.

PS: and no I'm not going to mess around with their price guarantee for a buck or so. In addition, their $50 voucher off a 2 night or longer Priceline Vacation Package would never get used so there's nothing there for me as far as their guarantee.

OK, I'm done whining and look forward to my cruise in two months and I'm sure I'll enjoy the hotel. Thanks for listening.

I just booked the 4 star Hilton in Gaslamp Quarter San Diego for $80 for Oct 1-3. Total for 2 nights with tax $189.

Had been trying 3.5 star trying for Holiday Inn on Bay, once bid got up to $70 figured I may as well try for 4 star.

Hilton looks like it will be a good stay in downtown San Diego.

I just booked the 4 star Hilton in Gaslamp Quarter San Diego for $80 for Oct 1-3. Total for 2 nights with tax $189.

Had been trying 3.5 star trying for Holiday Inn on Bay, once bid got up to $70 figured I may as well try for 4 star.

Hilton looks like it will be a good stay in downtown San Diego.

I was just in San Diego 3 weeks ago on business. I think that you'll be pleased

with the Hilton in Gas lamp area. I stayed at the Omni. You got a great deal

and are in a really great area to stay, lots to do in Gaslamp area.

I think that after my first experience with priceline, I may be hooked.

I am a frugal traveler, but I hate cheap hotels, I am OK if it is clean and for a one night stay, but would really prefer something nice with nice bedding, toiletries, and attractive decor, but I don't like paying a lot of money for it. I was a bit nervous not having control over my hotel and having to prepay, but after researching the area I knew that the 3 1/2 star upscale hotels, any of them, would suit me just fine. Since I am renting a car, location is less of an issue.

I got the Hilton Long Beach & executive meeting center for $70, about $90 less than their unrestricted rate and $30 less than their non-refundable rate. I feel that I did well for such a beautiful hotel, considering that 1&2 star places are going for this rate.

I have booked a room for a 2 night trip in Oct. at a good rate, but I will try priceline just before the trip to see if I can upgrade for the same money, since I can cancel the first reservation.

Just found this thread and thought I'd contribute.

I won the bid on PL for Seattle for Sept. 3rd, 2 nights, precuise. I knew Seattle was expensive, so bid accordingly. I did the bidding back in March, and on my first bid got an acceptance.

I had a 3* in mind, thinking I'd settle for a 2 1/2*. I can't remember if I started at 4*, as sometimes I do. But, at 3* PL said the medium price was over $200 a night. I didn't want to pay even $100, if I could avoid it! Knowing I would settle for the 2 1/2*, I bid $80 and won the bid on Silver Cloud Inn Stadium, which turned out to be 4 blocks from the train station! And it was a 3 1/2* hotel! They had free shuttle service from the train station, plus to the cruise ship pier! They also shuttled us all over the waterfront, Space Needle, Convention Center! We had a great room, overlooking Safeco left field! Anyone wanting to stay here precruise or for a baseball or football game, it's perfect! We also walked to Pioneer Square, the Underground Tour, Smith Tower, all maybe 6 blocks away. The cheapest price for the room now is $149, but I swear the week we were there it was $239! Either way, it was a great savings for a great hotel!

Edited by NitaBcruising

Hi

I know this is a little off topic, but can someone help with my bidding for a hotel in Las Vegas. I know that weekends are more expensive then weekdays. With this is mind, do I split my bids Sun-Thur then Fri/Sat? We're planning on staying 9 days and not sure how best to bid?

Hi

I know this is a little off topic, but can someone help with my bidding for a hotel in Las Vegas. I know that weekends are more expensive then weekdays. With this is mind, do I split my bids Sun-Thur then Fri/Sat? We're planning on staying 9 days and not sure how best to bid?

I do not know the right answer to your question. But, I would think you'd see the average price for a hotel in Vegas for the * quality you want, bid what you want for the 9 days, and see if a hotel accepts your bid. My guess is the price is an average anyway, as many places have different rates for weekends. If anyone knows the actual answer, I'm curious too!

I didn't read this post entirely, but see there is a section for PL, and the link to biddingfortravel.com. There's another site, better bidding, also.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~cmong/tri...nce_travel.pdf

Good luck!

The problem with splitting when bidding is that you may also find yourself at a different hotel. Given the length of time you're talking about, that could involve a number of moves along the way which doesn't sound very appealing (unless you're travelling light and want to check out different hotels).

In such a situation, I'd look for discounts elsewhere, or through priceline/hotwire sales, so at least you don't have the disruption. When you see what the regular sales prices are like if it's not too volatile, you could try a flat bid as well for the entire period and see how you go.

i just got this for $60 x 2 nights plus $23.94 tax and fees =$143.94 total for april 10-12 2010 . started a week ago at $50 , added $2 to the bid for 2 days then changed to $1 day for 4 days , missed yesterday so this morning added $2 to the the last bid ($58) and they took it .then i looked at my email to find a message from priceline " good news , it has been 24 hrs since your last bid of $58 , try that same bid today " . had i looked at my email 1st i would have saved $2 each night =$4 . we have been to the holiday inn downtown and are very pleased with it .by the way priceline asked me numerous times to add $17 to my bid " right now and try again" , i did not .

i just got this for $60 x 2 nights plus $23.94 tax and fees =$143.94 total for april 10-12 2010 . started a week ago at $50 , added $2 to the bid for 2 days then changed to $1 day for 4 days , missed yesterday so this morning added $2 to the the last bid ($58) and they took it .then i looked at my email to find a message from priceline " good news , it has been 24 hrs since your last bid of $58 , try that same bid today " . had i looked at my email 1st i would have saved $2 each night =$4 . we have been to the holiday inn downtown and are very pleased with it .by the way priceline asked me numerous times to add $17 to my bid " right now and try again" , i did not .