Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Perhaps consider using Hotwire. From their "icons" you can immediately spot which hotel offers an airport shuttle. And be sure to use www.betterbidding.com to search their Hotwire hotel list for Vancouver. Then you will know exactly (generally) which hotel you would be booking.

P.S. Didn't know the date for which you are needing a hotel. Otherwise, I would have done a preliminary search for you.

Sharon,

I've never done this before so I would appreciate ypur help. Our trip is not until June 2010 and we would need the hotel on June 16th.Is this too far in advance?

Sharon,

I've never done this before so I would appreciate ypur help. Our trip is not until June 2010 and we would need the hotel on June 16th.Is this too far in advance?

It is early, but you can try anytime within 11 months of the trip. You just need to be sure that you definitely want the room because once you've paid for it, just like priceline, there are no changes or cancellations. Hotwire tends to be about 15 - 20% more expensive than priceline and sometimes tends to rate the hotels about 1/2 star higher than priceline, but it is usually easier to identify the hotels because of the icons (shuttle, fitness, internet etc. - all on the hotel list at betterbidding). I have won hotels on both sites up to 11 months before the trip and as close in as 1 week before the trip. If you want to go this route, you might want to lock in a fully cancellable reservation now with a regular booking, and keep "playing" with both sites (PL and Hotwire).

Just checked your date on Hotwire and I think it is too early, as they are only showing a 2 1/2* for $62 and a 3* for $83. The 3* looks as though it is the Holiday Inn Airport. So, perhaps just keep watching the Hotwire site -- compare the offerings to the lists on betterbidding - and check in here occasionally to see what people are winning. Biddingfortravel is also a good site, although the postings are not as frequent now that the moderator has again "disappeared". Biddingfortravel does not allow info about Hotwire.

As I said, I use both Priceline and Hotwire and have had terrific wins on both sites. I just got the 4* Westgate Hotel in San Diego for a stay in December on Priceline for $71 per night:D, and have also had winning bids in Sydney, Australia, Naples, FL, Hamburg, Germany etc. etc. etc. It's nice to enjoy great 4* hotels at 2* Motel6 prices.

It is early, but you can try anytime within 11 months of the trip. You just need to be sure that you definitely want the room because once you've paid for it, just like priceline, there are no changes or cancellations. Hotwire tends to be about 15 - 20% more expensive than priceline and sometimes tends to rate the hotels about 1/2 star higher than priceline, but it is usually easier to identify the hotels because of the icons (shuttle, fitness, internet etc. - all on the hotel list at betterbidding). I have won hotels on both sites up to 11 months before the trip and as close in as 1 week before the trip. If you want to go this route, you might want to lock in a fully cancellable reservation now with a regular booking, and keep "playing" with both sites (PL and Hotwire).

Just checked your date on Hotwire and I think it is too early, as they are only showing a 2 1/2* for $62 and a 3* for $83. The 3* looks as though it is the Holiday Inn Airport. So, perhaps just keep watching the Hotwire site -- compare the offerings to the lists on betterbidding - and check in here occasionally to see what people are winning. Biddingfortravel is also a good site, although the postings are not as frequent now that the moderator has again "disappeared". Biddingfortravel does not allow info about Hotwire.

As I said, I use both Priceline and Hotwire and have had terrific wins on both sites. I just got the 4* Westgate Hotel in San Diego for a stay in December on Priceline for $71 per night:D, and have also had winning bids in Sydney, Australia, Naples, FL, Hamburg, Germany etc. etc. etc. It's nice to enjoy great 4* hotels at 2* Motel6 prices.

Thanks for your help

Jill

I just booked a room at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for January 16, 2010. Following the advice on the board, I went to Priceline, specified San Pedro and 3 1/2 stars (highest available for that location) and bid $65 for the room. The bid was accepted.

I just booked a room at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for January 16, 2010. Following the advice on the board, I went to Priceline, specified San Pedro and 3 1/2 stars (highest available for that location) and bid $65 for the room. The bid was accepted.

San Pedro is the easiest, no-worry place to get a decent hotel room at a reasonable price. Glad the advice we all gave helped!

Sandi

I cant seem to get a hotel in the Long Beach, CA area approved through priceline for November 14th. We will be leaving on the Splendor on the 15th and just need one room for three people for one night. I have been selecting area number 1, 3 1/2 stars and started at $65. I am up to $85 and every time the say to raise bid $22. The $85 is not including taxes and charges. Have any suggestions?

I cant seem to get a hotel in the Long Beach, CA area approved through priceline for November 14th. We will be leaving on the Splendor on the 15th and just need one room for three people for one night. I have been selecting area number 1, 3 1/2 stars and started at $65. I am up to $85 and every time the say to raise bid $22. The $85 is not including taxes and charges. Have any suggestions?

I think you need to wait till closer to November. Give it a month from now and try again. :)

Cathy

I would raise my bid $1.00 a day until it was accepted. Don't fall for the $22.

After reading your entire thread, I think I feel comfortable in using Priceline for the first time...just one question before I attempt it....looking for San Pedro for April 2010...how do I know what price to put in as a starting bid? Figuring on trying for the Crown Plaza or Doubletree.:confused:

After reading your entire thread, I think I feel comfortable in using Priceline for the first time...just one question before I attempt it....looking for San Pedro for April 2010...how do I know what price to put in as a starting bid? Figuring on trying for the Crown Plaza or Doubletree.:confused:

Crowne Plaza has been going consistently for around $65 - don't think you'll get it for much less. Haven't heard of too many people getting the Doubletree lately for that price - usually folks are ending up with the CP for $65.

My first Priceline experience was great! :)

I bid $60 yesterday for San Pedro and was rejected...but had to try.

Bid $65 today and was accepted! ;)

April 10, 2010

1 night

Crowne Plaza, San Pedro

*** 1/2

Total with taxes and fees came to $81.57.

I'm one happy camper today...also used my United vouchers for the airfare and got our flights from NY to LAX for $150 RT p/p.

Sure beats the price of $679 p/p for the air from Princess! :eek:

For sure, I'll do this again! :D

My first Priceline experience was great! :)

I bid $60 yesterday for San Pedro and was rejected...but had to try.

Bid $65 today and was accepted! ;)

April 10, 2010

1 night

Crowne Plaza, San Pedro

*** 1/2

Total with taxes and fees came to $81.57.

I'm one happy camper today...also used my United vouchers for the airfare and got our flights from NY to LAX for $150 RT p/p.

Sure beats the price of $679 p/p for the air from Princess! :eek:

For sure, I'll do this again! :D

Good job! See how easy that was? Perhaps you will get a room with a view of the pier. You can wake up to see your ship waiting for you. :)

Sandi

Happy to hear you got the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro for $65.

DoubleAK wasn't quite so lucky - $85

I might not have been as lucky as others, but since the going rate on hotels.com for that date is $153, I still consider it a steal! :)

I won't complain about an extra $20. ;)

Just won Crowne Plaza in San Pedro on 9/25 for $85 bid ($104 total). My bids of $65 and $75 were rejected, I assume its due to short notice (5 weeks away). So bid early!

I have a brother that used to live in Thornton! he now lives in North Glenn.

Are you going on the Sapphire on the 26th, because we are!

Going on the splendor on Sept13th. I thought I would give priceline a try and my bid of $55 was accepted for the Long Beach Hilton on the 12th.:)

Thanks for that information. Do you know if they have a shuttle to the cruise peirs?

Thanks for that information. Do you know if they have a shuttle to the cruise peirs?

I don't think they have a shuttle. I looked it up on Google Earth and it doesn't seem to be too far from the pier. A cab probably won't cost too much.