Fear of Flying

martinimadam

:eek: Do any of you experience this? I'm sure flyertalker, greatam, and globilizer don't, but maybe some of the rest of you do? The worst part for me is the takeoffs and landings. Once we're in the air I can kind of pretend I'm on a bus and any turbulence is just a rough roadway. Maybe the bloody marys help too. ;) Interestingly, flying on the small planes, like American Eagle, is a little less terrifying for me. If that's not logical, please don't disillussion me! It's just that I can feel the lift of the plane more in these small jobs.

Interested in sharing?

:eek: Do any of you experience this? I'm sure flyertalker, greatam, and globilizer don't, but maybe some of the rest of you do? The worst part for me is the takeoffs and landings. Once we're in the air I can kind of pretend I'm on a bus and any turbulence is just a rough roadway. Maybe the bloody marys help too. ;) Interestingly, flying on the small planes, like American Eagle, is a little less terrifying for me. If that's not logical, please don't disillussion me! It's just that I can feel the lift of the plane more in these small jobs.

Interested in sharing?

I hate to fly too! But...I decided along time ago I was not gonna let that keep me from traveling to ALL the places I really want to go. I ALWAYS fly Southwest if I can, they have NEVER had a fatal/plane crash!! I figured that's the way to go for me then, I relax when I fly with them, they are although casual in their approach, a first class company, employee owned and never have financial issues! (I checked all this stuff out when I decided to take an 8 hour flight a few yrs back) So remind yourself, planes are meant to do this. A stewardess told me once, that the plane is like a car is on a bumpy road, it is meant to handle the turbulence, that helped alot, cause I was freakin' out:eek:

Good luck, no worries!

~Lysa

I fly about 10-12 times a year domestic and internationally (not much compared to frequent flyers but still enough).

I also hate the takeoffs and landings but you just get through them. I will also agree with you that some of the smaller planes feel much more stable than some of the jumbo jets. United's BAE-146 (i think that's right) are cramped but felt very steady. Smoothest jumbo was BA upper deck 747 daytime LHR-ORD - I could have stayed on for 8 more hours!

I feel exactly the same way. All those noises on take off and landing! I find myself staring at the nearest flight attendant to see if they look relaxed or not:). This has gotten progressively worse to the point that now we are driving from Toronto to Miami for our cruise in Jan. (yes, logically I know that the drive is riskier than the flight) I know that I will fly again because there are places I want to see that I cannot get to otherwise but I will definately be asking my Dr. for some anti-anxiety drugs (no gravol does not work for me).

I know my fear is not logical but I think it is the lack of control that is the biggest factor for me. If your car stalls or gets a flat you can control that situation, if your plane has problems...:eek:

Sara

Control. Exactly! I think that may be part of it. The only time I didn't get anxious was once flying from london to los angeles on one of those planes with the bubble on top (forgive my ignorance all of you who know the name of this type of plane ;) ). In this case (and it was waaaaay pre 9/11), they left the curtain open between the cockpit and the cabin. I could actually see out of the front of the plane, like I had the pilots view and could see what the pilots were doing. Maybe it was the distraction, maybe it was feeling more in control, but, like I said, no anxiety that time...

Oh my gosh, you sound like me. I am dreading my cruise on 11/11/06 on the Serenade. I panic when the door shuts on the plane. When we are waiting for take off and then taxing my blood pressure goes sky high!!! I am fine once we are up, and the bumps and air pockets don't bother me. It is the door closing and knowing I am "stuck" just really gets to me. Yes I have taken anti-anxiety meds and have done all kind of other measures. I am not afraid of the plane going down, it is just the getting up. I am not afraid of landing. It is weird. I do dread the flight home on my trips, which towards the end kinda of puts a damper on my fun. I have flown all my life and have actually been a co-pilot on a small plane, and have had to actually go down an emergency slide to exit a plane. Regardless, I am still going on my trip. I try to be brave! Good luck to you!!

I may be in the minority but I find the take offs to be the most thrilling part of the flight, I think its the anticipation of finally being in the air enroute to my (our destination). If you don't like the bumps just close your eyes and pretend you're in a car, and remember the coffee trolley as it moves causes a slight sensation of bumpiness which goes away when it does.

I lived in a coastal BC logging camp for 2 years and the only way in and out was by air or by water. The flights I experience now are nothing compared to some of those:eek: I have flown in everything from a Cessna 172 up to a DC10, and flying beats driving to me everyday.

(Once when my parents flew in for a visit they had to circle once or twice in order for the grizzly bear that was on the runway to leave before the pilot could set down;) )

Bev

I actually have worked for an airline for the past 6 years.

When I was young...I LOVED IT! But now that I know more about airplanes...it scares me.

I get clammy hands when we take off. Landing i'm pretty okay with. I also do well if the whole ride is smooth. Once it starts to get bumpy..my heart races. I actually have a whole section on my ipod that has soft classical music for plane rides, when it gets bumpy. Calms me down.

You'd think, an airline employee would be okay with it. Nope! :confused:

You are not alone! I hate the takeoffs!!! I have to breathe into the barf bag! Others around are looking at me weird, but once we're up in the air and I can drink a sprite with no ice, I am fine. But I try not to let the fear of flying get in the way of going on cruises! :D

I hate it too. The funny thing is that although I fly several times a year for work, I'm not as bothered then as when I am flying with my family, maybe it's that I don't want to embarass myself on the plane with strangers but if I'm with my family then it's okay to freak out a bit. My husband also hates it, so some of his anxiety must set mine in motion. I remember a flight home from Las Vegas where I just started crying, I knew we were going to crash, even though it was the smoothest flight ever. I often blame the pilot when we hit turbulence, even though I know he really has no control over it. Several years ago a pilot from Southwest posted a message on here (dang I can't find it) explaining every detail about the sounds you would hear, etc. That really helped. For me, the take off and landing are fun, kind of like a ride, but the cruising at altitude gets to me. I wouldn't consider driving though, just grin and bear it and you'll be there in no time. When I land I imagine where I would be if I had driven....Hmmmm, I'd almost be to Indiana by now....only 16 hours left to drive.

Becky

Funnily enough, I've just come back this evening from doing the flight part of a fear of flying course - being moral support for two friends who'd done the whole course today. There are two that I know of here in the UK, one affiliated to British Airways and one affiliated to Virgin Atlantic.

The airlines in your own neighbourhoods may well run or recommend similar courses. Based on what I saw this evening, they are well worth going on. At the end, everyone knew what was going on with the aircraft, why and how it flies, and what the crew were doing at every stage of the flight. There was also some psychological therapy, with relaxation and mind exercises to help with the anxiety. Highly recommended.

Several years ago a pilot from Southwest posted a message on here (dang I can't find it) explaining every detail about the sounds you would hear, etc. That really helped.
There's an excellent series of posts on this thread on another forum. Look for the long posts by Hampshire Hog, starting with this one.

But I recommend you don't go poking around the rest of that forum, which tends to be filled with very technical flying stuff.

Guess Sprocket and I are in the minority here. The exhilaration of the takeoff and landing is the best part and I treat it like one of the best rides at an amusement park. I also go with the attitude that "what will be will be" which allows me to relax during the times when things go "bump" and I don't know why. Unfortunately, not everyone is this lucky. DH is claustrophobic and must have a window seat while most with this malady don't want to be anywhere near a window. It does relax him, however, to be able to look out over the vast expanse of the sky and feel that he is not closed in. So....he gets his window seat and I hold his hand from the middle seat, hoping I get a good aisle seat mate that won't mind me getting in and out to go to the bathroom!

I have been afraid of flying all of my life. And what did I do? I married a Navy pilot who went on to become an airline pilot.:eek: In fact, he just recently retired from flying for Delta Airlines for 31 years. (with a perfect flying record, I might add) You would think that after all these years that I would be over my fear of flying, but no, it is worse than ever. :eek: Every single time...As our day of departure nears, I start hyperventilating when I think about flying and then break out in a rash a few days before. We will be taking our first cruise soon(41 days from now) and I am already beginning to dread flying to and from Ft. Lauderdale. Needless to say...my husband thinks I am being nuts and is always beyond calm when I am almost on the brink of passing out because I am so frightened of flying. It only gets worse as time goes on. :(

But...I want to cruise...so I will fly. :eek: Lord help me! :o

I too hate to fly. I didnt always , it just started in my 30's.. I have one word for all you white knucklers . Its XANAX ask your doctor for a few and take one before you get on the plane ..They dont make you sleepy for the rest of the day and you wont believe how well they work. After a few hours right as rain...

Beter living through cemistry.... Sail on sailor

mpk

I'm flying tomorrow & already feeling nauseous...All the same symptoms as the rest of you, clammy hands, heart racing. Looking at the flight attendants to see if they're calm. I hate the takeoffs. And worst of all, when the plane turns to the side.

I do know that turbulence alone will never cause a plane to crash. And I've heard that if you ever get the chance to ride in the cockpit, it will ease the fears. But I guess it's hard for me to accept the fact that a giant, heavy aircraft can fly...(sure I know, aerodynamics).

I've wanted to take Xanax or Benadryl but I feel the need to be alert in case anything happens. And I'm traveling with the children, even worse.

I'm flying tomorrow & already feeling nauseous...All the same symptoms as the rest of you, clammy hands, heart racing. Looking at the flight attendants to see if they're calm. I hate the takeoffs. And worst of all, when the plane turns to the side.

I do know that turbulence alone will never cause a plane to crash. And I've heard that if you ever get the chance to ride in the cockpit, it will ease the fears. But I guess it's hard for me to accept the fact that a giant, heavy aircraft can fly...(sure I know, aerodynamics).

I've wanted to take Xanax or Benadryl but I feel the need to be alert in case anything happens. And I'm traveling with the children, even worse.

Xanax will not cause you to be incapacitated in any way. I take a Xanax about 30 minutes prior to boarding, and although I doze off and on, I can be awake with a moment's notice. If I had young children with me, I probably wouldn't even doze off, but it definitely makes you feel more relaxed. But not like a goofy, drunk feeling. Just quiets the anxiety. I started taking Xanax before flying about 4 years ago and it has made a world of difference. We flew today and although the flight was extremely turbulent, I was very relaxed.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your dilema.,Iin the 80's I was terrified of flying, but it was my job, a really good paying job. Then in the 90's as I got older my fear subsided slightly. I wore a mask over my eyes on take-offs and landings and it seemed to make flying less stressful. Also took flights late a t night so it was dark outside. But like everything in life eventually if you do it enough its not a novelty anymore. Good Luck!

I really dont like flying. And yes, its the take-offs and landings. Just seems to me thats where most problems occur. Once I'm in the air its fine though. I've only flown three times in my life (roundtrip each time) so that probably has something to do with it.

On the other hand, I live very near a major airport that has dozens of flights each day and never has a problem. I just remind myself of that. But on my cruise, I was pretty much close to a panic attack while we were in the airport waiting to get on our first flight. On the way back, it wasnt so bad. Probably because I was so tired.:)

Archived