Is it possible to carry ALL luggage to cabin?

imwmn913

Is it possible for us to carry ALL our luggage to our cabin - or must the crew take it and x-ray it, etc. and then deliver it? Obviously the suitcase is too big to fit through the average scanner - so I would imagine they probably would take it??

Only reason I ask is I like to get my bags asap and unpack, and I always have the concern that our bags will just 'disappear!'.

Thanks!

Carolynn

Is it possible for us to carry ALL our luggage to our cabin - or must the crew take it and x-ray it, etc. and then deliver it? Obviously the suitcase is too big to fit through the average scanner - so I would imagine they probably would take it??

Only reason I ask is I like to get my bags asap and unpack, and I always have the concern that our bags will just 'disappear!'.

Thanks!

Carolynn

If your bag does not fit hrough the Xray scanner than you can not carry it on.

We've done it. The port scanners (not the onboard scanners used after excursions, but the ones inside the terminals) are larger than the hand baggage scanners in the airports and on the ship. So, it's pretty likely they'll accomodate any luggage you can carry. They vary in size a bit from one port to the next, but I've not had a problem.

(And before anyone rushes to chastise me for crowding the elevators with all of my bags at embarkation, I've never been in an elevator on a cruise.)

Thanks!

Carolynn

The check in process and boarding process is crowded and busy.......the rest of us would be tripping over the luggage all the "early unpackers" want to drag through that process and up the gangplank.......:rolleyes:

Thanks! Carolynn

You have a greater chance of losing your luggage on the flight to the port than at the port. By that thinking, maybe you should think about carrying them on the aircraft. ;)

Even if they get "lost" they will still be on the ship and will eventually get to you. I have never heard of someone's bags being left in port if they got to the porter and into the big basket. Seems like a needless worry to me. :confused:

Unless your family travels with a lot less (and/or smaller) luggage than mine does, I can't imagine dragging the cases through the check in process, up the ramps, and then up several sets of stairs to our cabin. I'm quite happy to turn the cases over to the porters and let them do the heavy lifting.

The check in process and boarding process is crowded and busy.......the rest of us would be tripping over the luggage all the "early unpackers" want to drag through that process and up the gangplank.......:rolleyes:
I agree... it's very crowded and it's not fair to the other people waiting to check in and board if you're having to organize and schelp your luggage. Not to mention that you might have to go up escalators or staircases. Also, once you're onboard the ship, there are many others waiting for the elevators. If you have all of your luggage with you, that means that others equally anxious to get to their cabin will have to wait for the next elevator. Of course, it's your vacation and it probably doesn't matter to you if you inconvenience others so do what makes you happy.

I think that IF

1) Your luggage is no larger than 11 x 17 x whatever length AND

2) You can hold/roll/carry it all at one time, by yourself for 500 yards, without looking like that insurance commercial where the wheels fall off and the luggage falls over and pops open....

...then it is reasonable to assume you can carry it on. If you have more than one rolling case or look like loaded pack mule or struggle to get through narrow doors or up steps, then you need to let the porters handle your cases.

You have a greater chance of losing your luggage on the flight to the port than at the port. By that thinking, maybe you should think about carrying them on the aircraft. ;)

Even if they get "lost" they will still be on the ship and will eventually get to you. I have never heard of someone's bags being left in port if they got to the porter and into the big basket. Seems like a needless worry to me. :confused:

On our very first cruise on Carnival in 1981, DW's bag (with all new clothes for this fabulous new adventure) was unloaded at the dock from the airport shuttle bus. We were told to just board and that our luggage would be delivered to our stateroom.

Within a couple of hours, our other two bags had arrived but not hers. After sailway we were panicked and made numerous trips to the Purser's Desk with no results. The final outcome was that we never got her bag. This put a huge damper on our first cruise experience. Fortunately, through many generous fellow passengers, DW was able to borrow clothes and we made the best of it. Carnival wasn't very helpful and didn't even offer to give her items from the shipboard shops to wear.

Two weeks after we returned home, we received a call stating that DW's bag had been found in a storage area on the ship while cleaning was being done prior to a repositioning.

Carnival ended up offering us a substantial discount on a future cruise and we accepted, but we definitely carried our bags on board. To this day, 25 years and 13 cruises later, we still get a feeling of trepidation when we leave our bags at the dock.

Mike

I was on a Carnival cruise and there was a family whose luggage they lost. I believe they left it at the dock. So this can happen. They were letting them have clothes from the shop on board. We all felt sorry for them.:eek:

I think it was in San Diego last year a pallet of luggage was dropped into the water by accident. I remember hearing about divers being hired to try and retrieve all the luggage. But I'll just take my chances and hope the people at the front of the line did so as well.

Not true, my last cruise on Carnival 8/06, managed to lose 2 pieces of my luggage after the Carnival porter took them from me. While I was on the ship I received the attitude of "Too Bad, So Sad". I never rec. a response letter from Carnival after sending them 2 letters regarding my lost luggage. This is why I will not be sailing with Carnival anymore. Looking forward to my first time cruising with Princess next Sept. However, I could never imagine carrying my luggage on board, only my overnight bag with my medication and one change of clothes.

On our very first cruise on Carnival in 1981, DW's bag (with all new clothes for this fabulous new adventure) was unloaded at the dock from the airport shuttle bus. We were told to just board and that our luggage would be delivered to our stateroom.

Within a couple of hours, our other two bags had arrived but not hers. After sailway we were panicked and made numerous trips to the Purser's Desk with no results. The final outcome was that we never got her bag. This put a huge damper on our first cruise experience. Fortunately, through many generous fellow passengers, DW was able to borrow clothes and we made the best of it. Carnival wasn't very helpful and didn't even offer to give her items from the shipboard shops to wear.

Two weeks after we returned home, we received a call stating that DW's bag had been found in a storage area on the ship while cleaning was being done prior to a repositioning.

Carnival ended up offering us a substantial discount on a future cruise and we accepted, but we definitely carried our bags on board. To this day, 25 years and 13 cruises later, we still get a feeling of trepidation when we leave our bags at the dock.

Mike

I started reading this and thought, "That sounds like something that happened to me!" :D I almost wrote about this on the thread about first cruises being the best :eek: . NOT!

Luv yu.

I am the original poster...Wow..... asking a simple question sure turned out some rather impolite answers....Sorry!

Before any of you think of us as willing to inconvenience others since it is our vacation...etc etc.... That is the last thing we would do. We are not heavy packers and would only have one average size suitcase each. As for having to deal with it on our own, schlepping it up and down - for us, that is not a big deal.

We have cruised before - domestic and international - and have been able to carry on luggage on board - and we turn down offers for assistance because we simply don't need it! But, we haven't cruised in several years and I just wanted to know what the procedures are now - post 9/11.

We travel 40+ weeks a year for business, and check our luggage now with trepidation. There is ALWAYS the possibility that luggage won't make the flight, be stolen, be broken into, and yes, even won't make it from the pier to our cabin. And, if the cabin isn't ready for us when we board - then why would boarding be allowed? If our hotel room isn't ready for checkin, we aren't able to go in it either.

So, sorry my question caused so much ire on this board.

Carolynn

Archived