?? about travel identification for minors.

bubiesmom

I've looked at the NCL website and I don't see anything on it. Since POH does not go to Fanning Island, we will not need passports. My DH and myself will only need a driver's license. My DD will turn 16 the week before our cruise and will not have her DL yet (thank goodness), but does have a photo high school ID. My DS is 11. I don't see anywhere what is required for him.

Is the high school ID enough for her? Will a Junior High school ID be enough for my son? (Originally, the NCL rep told me that I had to bring the original birth certificates for both of them. I asked if I could just bring a copy and she said "no", that it had to have a seal on it.) I have been misinformed by NCL before...

Can anyone comment on this? Also, is there a reliable source I can call? I'll call the corporate office if I have to. I really don't feel like getting there and them saying my kids can't get on.

They sort of have the rules posted on the web site, but the timing for you does present a POSSIBLE problem:

The following is posted at NCL.com

http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement_06.htm

SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR NCL AMERICA VESSELS

All passengers 16 years of age and older must provide
PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
for boarding NCL America vessels that travel and stay within the United States/Hawaii Islands, where the ship does NOT travel to a foreign, non-U.S. port of call.

PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
consists of one of the following:

• Valid Passport

• Government Issued Photo ID

• Valid Driver’s License that Includes a Photograph

Company policy dictates that any passenger traveling without proper photo identification as described will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.

So, a question here - is a High School ID issued by a Government? I would say yes.

As a high school teacher, I would say no to a school issued ID. Here in Indiana, even our students must obtain an official ID from the BMV for official identifiication purposes. In today's world of identiy theft, we can't even ask a student for a social security number at school, hence what makes it a valid ID for travel purposes? I might add that even my four, and six year old grandsons now have passports, just for ID purposes. It's worth the expense of getting one, just to avoid any potential hassle.;)

As a high school teacher, I would say no to a school issued ID. Here in Indiana, even our students must obtain an official ID from the BMV for official identifiication purposes. In today's world of identiy theft, we can't even ask a student for a social security number at school, hence what makes it a valid ID for travel purposes? I might add that even my four, and six year old grandsons now have passports, just for ID purposes. It's worth the expense of getting one, just to avoid any potential hassle.;)

Thanks for the info. I didn't think that a school ID would be valid. If I survive this cruise, maybe I'll invest in passports for the 4 of us. (LOL)

I'm a little happier today. I made final payment yesterday, yahoo. I found a new personal cruise consultant to replace the jerk I had before. (I got lots of misinformation and now no one seems to be able to find him). The new women I spoke to yesterday seems very nice. I have her extension and email. She actually said she works in the Lattitude section, but would be happy to take care of me. (Not a Lattitude member, though). :cool:

Here's the deal. She told me that my kids do not need birth certificates since we will be on POH without a stop to Fanning Island. She said they they don't need any idea at all. She said that the school issued photo ID's they have will be fine. I know, I know, I have read the posts and have started a thread before to inquire about this, but why would NCL want such a valuable document (original BC with the seal)? If you lose it, you can't replace it. The only thing it tells them is that you had a child with that name. What if you had someone else's kid and said he/she was yours?....At least with a photo ID, if a child were to be separated from the parents or hurt, the child would also have ID telling anyone who they were.:confused:

Any comments please? :)

(Can you tell I like smilies?:D )

Ok, I can see why you don't wanna risk losing the BC. Becuase you won't be travelling out of the country you really shouldn't need them, but ID, I think, is always a good thing to have. I would suggest you take one morning and take your children to the DMV to get a picture ID taken, costs very little, its one less thing to worry about, and I'd take a day at the DMV over a day at school any chance I got when I was younger (... there weren't too many of them).

Ok, I can see why you don't wanna risk losing the BC. Becuase you won't be travelling out of the country you really shouldn't need them, but ID, I think, is always a good thing to have. I would suggest you take one morning and take your children to the DMV to get a picture ID taken, costs very little, its one less thing to worry about, and I'd take a day at the DMV over a day at school any chance I got when I was younger (... there weren't too many of them).

I agree with this idea. We had them made for our kids and carry them on cruises now. It doesn't cost very much and just seems to be a good idea.

but why would NCL want such a valuable document (original BC with the seal)? If you lose it, you can't replace it.

I did both, got a photo ID from Motor Vehicle Department, and BC. But, I went to the City Hall and got a wallet size copy of the BC with a raised seal, and kept the original at home. Again, it was a small charge and is convenient to use when a BC is required.:)

Some "City Hall's" will do this. Some do not even issue Birth Cert. Different things in different places.

As to the original question, since they said they do not need a BC, not sure why the question. I do agree that often people just want SOME piece of paper so somebody feels good. Really, though some type of ID is good to have these days.

Of course the airlines have different rules. I think it is age 16 now for ID. Check with your airline to make sure.

By the way, with all the misinformation that comes from NCL cust svc reps, a GREAT place to get official information is at www.ncl.com. They have a very extensive list of questions, included ID required

I know! I can't stinkin wait!

wow, getting married and cruising; what a great combination. Good luck.

to the OP: ID is always a good idea; as for losing the BC they really are easy to replace. I don't suggest anyone be careless, but the more ID the better. NMnita

This was to clear up some issues of the birth certificate. Every birth certificate has at least the name of the child's mother on it - hence the child then must be traveling with a passenger who has a photo id that matches the mother's name on the birth certificate. (They however do not need to have a father's name on them). If the child is not traveling with either parent listed on the birth certificate there must be a notarized form stating the parent has given permission to whoever has the child for them to travel with them. For instance I am traveling with my kids in November and their dad is not going, I have a notarized letter from him stating that it is ok for the kids to travel outside the country with me. As for the issue of the raised seal when I sent off for my children's birth certificates neither has a raised seal on it but does have the Commonwealth of VA stamp/logo - but it is printed as part of the paper. I have mine that my parents sent off for in 1971 and it doesn't have a raised seal either. We have traveled on two cruises with no problems with them. Anyone can easily request a birth certificate - no idea how anyone would know the difference of the first one your got or if you got it later. We filled out the from from the Dept of Vital Records, paid $12 and were mailed a the birth certificate. We did this just this year for my boyfriend when we traveled in May because he had no idea where his was and his mother couldn't find it either.

This thing about a notarized letter from the Dad always gets me.

First, the person that "notarizes" really could care less what is typed there, only that the person that signs it is really this person. And, even if they did read it, you could add more text later.

Meanwhile, if the Dad's name is not on the Birth Cert, how do they know who the Dad is, and is he the person that signed the permission?

And, if Mom's name has now changed due to marriage, etc. How do they know if this Birth Cert even belongs to Johnny?

Silly stuff, like the guy that travel to Europe or someplace recently and back using his two year old's Passport. People just want to see something and often do not look close enough to see if it matches.

This thing about a notarized letter from the Dad always gets me.

First, the person that "notarizes" really could care less what is typed there, only that the person that signs it is really this person. And, even if they did read it, you could add more text later.

Meanwhile, if the Dad's name is not on the Birth Cert, how do they know who the Dad is, and is he the person that signed the permission?

And, if Mom's name has now changed due to marriage, etc. How do they know if this Birth Cert even belongs to Johnny?

Silly stuff, like the guy that travel to Europe or someplace recently and back using his two year old's Passport. People just want to see something and often do not look close enough to see if it matches.

If the mom's name has changed due to marriage you have to bring your marriage certificate to prove that also. If your id doesn't match your birth certificate you have to bring along the appropriate paperwork that shows the name change. I had a cousin going to the bahamas and didn't even think that her drivers license was different from her BC and she had to delay her trip while someone managed to find a copy of it and send it to her. I do think though they did take a faxed copy of the marriage license. If no father is listed then no need for the note. Generally the notary signs directly below the information given and hard to go back and add to it.

All they need are their ORIGINAL birth certificates with the raised stamp on it.
You dont need their original birth certificates. You need an OFFICIAL Birth certificate, one from the county/city clerk of where the child was born. That is who puts the raised stamp on it. I have 4 children born in 4 different places, and it was an easy phone call to the clerks office for a replacement and a small fee. Hope this helps.

They sort of have the rules posted on the web site, but the timing for you does present a POSSIBLE problem:

The following is posted at NCL.com

http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement_06.htm

SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR NCL AMERICA VESSELS

All passengers 16 years of age and older must provide
PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
for boarding NCL America vessels that travel and stay within the United States/Hawaii Islands, where the ship does NOT travel to a foreign, non-U.S. port of call.

PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
consists of one of the following:

• Valid Passport

• Government Issued Photo ID

• Valid Driver’s License that Includes a Photograph

Company policy dictates that any passenger traveling without proper photo identification as described will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.

So, a question here - is a High School ID issued by a Government? I would say yes.

High School ID is not issued by the government. This is not considered a government issued photo ID...

I would also like to add that I have a High School ID that has my picture and one of my friend's name's on it. It's really not that hard to do...

I believe the issue here is if a high school ID is acceptabel to use as a government issue ID when traveling. If a person is under 16 and they do not have a drivers license it can be shown for those destinations that require a certified copy of birth certificate and gov't issued photo id. When a passport is required there is no other option. Just to clarify that a high school id card is not issued by the government. It is issued by the school district.

Archived