Have cruise lines gotten more generous?

melissa@cruisecritic

I think cruise lines have gotten more generous...  

60 members have voted

1. 1. I think cruise lines have gotten more generous...

• Definitely
    • No way!
    • I'm not sure...

A few storms have come and gone, and a few cruise itineraries have been tweaked along the way. When it comes to offering compensation for hurricane-affected cruises, do you think cruise lines are more generous this year than in the past?

Don't forget: Please post your opinion and experiences. Thanks!

We have seen the cost go up but the changes we see as a result are extras that we are expected to pay extra for. An example: the wonderful Java Cafe is gone and in its place is a pay for Starbucks type of cafe.

The compensation that is offered seems to vary greatly from ship to ship and has no consistency. Perhaps it is this lack of consistency that gives the appearance of lack of concern on the part of the cruise lines.

I can't say about the actual cruise as I am preparing for my first this December. However, from the treatment and the communication problems I have received in just contacting the line it does not seem that the employees are extremely concerned about customer service. I've seen the prices rise, and the service drop just in my short time dealing with HAL. I can not imagine the changes those who have hundreds of days sailing with the line have seen and experienced. This said, from the reviews I have read and heard from others, I do not believe that HAL is alone in the new trend of higher prices and less service/generosity.

The compensation that is offered seems to vary greatly from ship to ship and has no consistency. Perhaps it is this lack of consistency that gives the appearance of lack of concern on the part of the cruise lines.
I also agree with this statement! I also would like to add that most compensation is a credit for future cruises, and has an 1 year expiration on it, so if you don't book another cruise with them and soon, you loose that compensation!

My cruise contract (in my ticket packet), as well as the brochure clearly states:

"Situations may arise which, in our opinion, make it necessary for us to cancel, advance, or postpone a scheduled departure, change itineraries or make substitutions involving hotels, restaurants, ports of call, other travel components, vessels,or other modes of transportation. In that event, we do not assume responsibility or liability for any resulting losses, expenses or inconvenience."

December of 2004 I cruised to the Caribbean on the Oosterdam. We stopped in St. Martin and the weather was AWFUL. There was a tropical storm brewing in the area, but we stopped anyway. When we got off of the ship for our shore excursion, it was less than enjoyable. I would have preferred that the Cpt. cancelled the port, HAL refund my shore ex, and spend the day at sea in the SUNSHINE! In this case, the ship stuck to the itinerary.

In my opinion, as an individual that READS MY LITERATURE, I would just be happy if I got ANY compensation for a change of itinerary. Those who don't/can't READ, may have different expectations.

Don't know that there's any one answer - cruisers have unreasonably (in my opinion) become more demanding.

A tender port is canceled due to weather conditions - it happens!!!! - excursion costs are refunded; port charges are credited and perhaps also, a few free drinks are poured. Seems that's not enough for some cruisers!

I believe we read only what we want to see, e.g. the name of a Port I want to visit. That Mother Nature thwarts the cruise lines' intention to go there is ignored. Now the cry goes up, "........it says in the brochure/my TA said......" we didn't go there/do that - - I want my money back".

Complainers come out in full force demanding unreasonable compensation for events over which the cruise line/ship has no control.

What's the answer????????????

We were on the Crown on the September itinerary that cancelled the Bermuda stop. We were of course refunded for the shore excursion and the port taxes for that stop, but otherwise no offer of compensation. Frankly, when you cruise during hurricane season you had better be prepared for itinerary changes. We made the best of it and they added many on-board activities for that day.

In regards to more nickel-and-dime tactics, AMEN! We too, almost always book suite, mini-suite (verandah suite) categories and there is precious little we get over and above for all the extra $ we pay. In fact, I've suggested many times to Princess that for the "future cruise bookings they offer if you put down a deposit on the ship" there should be an additional shipboard credit for mini-suite bookings and above. We did receive a complimentary glass of champage at embarkation (big deal!), so I guess that's their way of acknowledging our $.

We were on the Crown on the September itinerary that cancelled the Bermuda stop. We were of course refunded for the shore excursion and the port taxes for that stop, but otherwise no offer of compensation. Frankly, when you cruise during hurricane season you had better be prepared for itinerary changes. We made the best of it and they added many on-board activities for that day.

In regards to more nickel-and-dime tactics, AMEN! We too, almost always book suite, mini-suite (verandah suite) categories and there is precious little we get over and above for all the extra $ we pay. In fact, I've suggested many times to Princess that for the "future cruise bookings they offer if you put down a deposit on the ship" there should be an additional shipboard credit for mini-suite bookings and above. We did receive a complimentary glass of champage at embarkation (big deal!), so I guess that's their way of acknowledging our $.

I certainly would not complain about Princess onboard Future cruise program IMO one of the best in the industry.

Generous? Ha! One point to remember is that prices are very low during hurricane season, and we should consider that bargain.

Only ones I know (all-inclusive resort) who compensate 100% for hurricane-related interruption of vacations is Sandals.

When we cruise during that season, we takes our chances!

Bev

Generous? Ha! One point to remember is that prices are very low during hurricane season, and we should consider that bargain.

Only ones I know (all-inclusive resort) who compensate 100% for hurricane-related interruption of vacations is Sandals.

When we cruise during that season, we takes our chances!

Bev

That makes perfect sense to me - the resort, after all, is a 'sitting duck' - a cruise ship can avoid the area and/or cancel excursions - for the safety of people like us who choose to travel in the season. Never known a line that didn't give refunds and throw in a free drink or two. Keep in mind too that many crew members were short changed on a few precious hours ashore and then worked hard on arranging alternate entertainment for passengers.

Melissa,

Just curious ...

The poll at the top of the page does not state the same question that you pose in your message. Was that your intention? In the poll, you ask whether cruiselines are more generous than before but in your message you pose the question as are they more generous in relation to hurricane related cancellations, etc.

These two questions if both posted as a poll question would illicit very different responses so I was just curious what the intention of the poll was?

I am in the "customer service" industry and I know that it is always best to try and make the customer happy, even if it is not something we can control... because without customers, we do not have a job.

I feel that every cruise line is around to make money, but they do want to make pax as happy as they can in a less than positive situation such as a missed port or because of a hurricane... often times those are things that a cruiseline cannot control and i understand that. I do not expect anything from any line I cruise if a port is missed, simply because it says in my cruise agreement that things can be cancelled.

It is always nice when a glass of champagne is given to everyone durring dinner if a port is missed, but i do not expect anything.

I have been fortunate enough *knock on wood* to not have to be in a situation that would warrent on board credits or a full/partial refund of fare and maybe my feelings would be different if i had been, but at this point, i feel to me, they have been generous enough.

Archived