Best Month For Alaska?

DaisyGirl55

We are booked on the Mercury next year, sailing to Alaska the 1st week of July. We really wanted a cruise longer than 7 days, but the only longer cruises we could find were more around September.

My question is this: Is there a better time of year to go to Alaska? I often go and see the bridge cams on the various X ships currently in Alaska, and it always looks foggy and rainy. Could be that I am used to only cruising in the Caribbean (always sunny and blue) so maybe Alaska is usually foggy. If it is, then it is okay, and we will enjoy the different cruising experience. If there are some months that those with more experience prefer, I would love to hear from you!

We are very excited about visiting Alaska, and know that cruising is a great way to go, but we want to try and go when the weather is the clearest so we can enjoy it the most. Any suggestions?

Stick with the first week of July. I have been to Alaska 4 times- twice in May, once in early June and once in early July. They are all good times to go. We had excellent weather, except one day on the July trip.

If you want to save a little money go before the kids get out of school.

My grandparents went to Alaska in August and said it rained the entire trip. So, I'd stick to early summer.

You will love Alaska.

Believe it has been said many times on these boards that weather in Alaska can be hit or miss. We happened to have a hit on our 9/10 roundtrip out of Seattle this year. Perfect weather. Only rain we hit was on our way to the airport to fly home. Weather in the mid 50's to low 60's. Had some expected fog when first traveling into Glacier Bay but fog lifted by about 8 a.m.

One great advantage about cruising Alaska in Sept. is the bargains in the stores. Came home with our luggage filled to the brim with some great Christmas gifts for the family.

Dianne

Truthfully, Mary Lou, if you're looking for constantly blue skies and "shorts" weather, Alaska isn't for you. Really. You're going to need layers to be comfortable no matter which month you choose. All THAT said: We took our first cue on the "perfect time" from an experienced Alaska cruise and land tour director who was also a native Alaskan. We met him on an earlier trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon aboard the (then) American Orient Express, a restored luxury train. Our Alaska expert advised that we take the SECOND or THIRD cruise of the season aboard whatever ship we chose, and he gave several good reasons. First, the crew would be fresh and enthusiastic and the few "shakedown bugs" associated with the first cruise of every season would be worked out. By August/September, the crew have been away from home, he explained, for many, many weeks (months, actually); they are far more likely to be less enthusiastic and more customer-service weary at that point (even though the cruise lines would like us to believe otherwise). Second, and relative to weather, it's important to remember how far NORTH Alaska is; the LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR (with the most sunshine) IS JUNE 21, the summer equinox. The days grow shorter after that date, and June (not July, as some would guess) actually has the warmest average temperatures. Third--and this is especially important if you're big on wildlife or flora/fauna observation and are taking a cruise tour which includes the Alaskan interior--the middle to end of June marks the end of spring and the time when baby animals are making their debut from dens and glorious spring wildflowers show up everywhere. All of that having made great sense to us, we took Celebrity Summit around June 11 or so two years ago; we did the 12-day cruise tour, with the land side FIRST (also recommended by our expert). We selected a cabin on the PORT SIDE (left) of the ship for our SOUTHBOUND travel through the glaciers and inside passage (wanting to be on the land side of the ship most of the time we were on the ship). We also selected a CC (concierge class) verandah cabin on that cruise, and liked it very my. Can't say enough good about the land tour staff, and the cruise ship staff aboard Summit were also wonderful. Most of all, though, Alaska was...well...astonishingly beautiful...awesome...a temptation a minute for the eyes. For clothing, I layered up and down comfortably with these: silk long johns, Levi's, a couple of turtle necks, an overshirt or "big shirt", one heavy gray pullover "hoody", cotton rag socks, Lands End all-weather mocs, and one reversible 3/4 length rain coat/jacket. My only real complaint about the cruise was having to drag all the formal dress gear along; after all, we went to Alaska to see Alaska! (Mind you, I enjoy dressing up...but) A couple of nights, we were just too worn out to UN-layer after touring all day and then get all dressed up for the dining room...so we either ate in our stateroom or went to the casual dining restaurant. Your selection of July 1 should be right in the "vicinity" of "perfect timing", so enjoy!

Pam

lots of good info here but to add my two cents.

Early is better than later. Less fog and more daylite..

you could book us onboard. Two trips.. ONE (count that again ONE) rainy day. Trips were early May and Early June)

Weather on the coast is really just the luck of the draw.... cross your fingers.

To leave out of Seward, where do you fly in to?

you fly into Achorage: best time for warm weather is July and early Aug; I wouldn't go in May or the last sailing in Sept. As someone has said, like anywhere, but more so in Alaska, you never want to expect nice weather as in sunny and warm. You may be surprised, but don't expect it. NMnita

If you want to do it scientically- just go to a website about alaska and look at the avg. rainfall and avg. temperatures for each month.

I can only speak from experience but we had lovely weather in early June 1996 the first time I went. I also had lovely "shorts" weather in early May in 1998. Again nice weather in July of 2000 (except one day of rain) and clear skies on my last trip in late May of 2005.

So I would still be inclinded to stick with early summer and the days are the longest at the end of May.

We have cruised Alaska twice. The first time was the first week of June and just this year we went the last week and a half of May. The weather we good on both trips, with only light rain on one day of each trip. The only problem was there was less animal activity and didn't see salmon either trip. But the trip was nice and relaxing as kids were still in school. I would go to Alaska any time, as I just love the place. Have a great cruise.

As many have said, Alaska weather is a crapshoot. We went from 8/3-8/15, counting the land tour in '03 and the weather was almost perfect. Light rain as we pulled in to the train station in Denali, but it was dinnertime and we were not going anywhere that night. Light drizzle in Sitka as we were boarding the return tender, but again we were not going anywhere off the ship after that. Otherwise the weather was sunny and usually mid-70s to low 80s during the day. We hardly ever wore our jackets/sweatshirts.

We flew into Anchorage on 8/3 and spent the night, boarding the glass-domed train on 8/4 to start the land tour. We went to Talkeetna, Denali (2 nights) and Fairbanks. Then flew back to Anchorage and took a motorcoach to Seward for the ship. It takes about 3 hrs from Anchorage to Seward.

I would not go in Sept. because it can get cold and snow early. The Denali "village" closes around 9/9 or sometimes earlier and you probably can't get a long excursion into the interior. I think May could be cold, too. Friends of ours went 6/19-6/30 also in '03 and had great weather. July should be OK. Although, in mid-July '03 there was a news report about the While Pass RR in Skagway that had to stop running due to a freak snowfall and passengers had to be bused back to town. Not usual, but possible. Face it, anything's possible. Just pack layers and hope for the best. :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

BW says "Whenever the H... you can get there" I agree. Cruised in Sept. this year. Four days of misty, cool but not unpleasant, and three days of glorious sunshine and warm temperatures. Two great advantages: Great shopping in Juneau(pre-winter sellout) and NO KIDS. The comment above about crew members in not (I believe valid) since crew is constantly rotating. i.e. Both our waiter and our steward were in their last week, but others were anticipating the winter in Hawaii. So....... The clothing suggestions are applicable for any time since weather is so unpredictable along the coast.

Go and have a great time.

All THAT said: We took our first cue on the "perfect time" from an experienced Alaska cruise and land tour director who was also a native Alaskan. We met him on an earlier trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon aboard the (then) American Orient Express, a restored luxury train. Our Alaska expert advised that we take the SECOND or THIRD cruise of the season aboard whatever ship we chose, and he gave several good reasons. First, the crew would be fresh and enthusiastic and the few "shakedown bugs" associated with the first cruise of every season would be worked out. By August/September, the crew have been away from home, he explained, for many, many weeks (months, actually); they are far more likely to be less enthusiastic and more customer-service weary at that point (even though the cruise lines would like us to believe otherwise).

Pam

We have never found the crew "less enthusiastic and customer-service weary" on any of our Celebrity cruises and we have done three transatlantic cruises at the end of the Europe season.

Celebrity is constantly rotating a percentage of their crew, the entire crew does not change all at once. Each week, crew leave the ship and new crew join it.

In answer to when to cruise Alaska, we cruised in early June and had great weather except for the day cruising Hubbard Glacier. It doesn't matter when you travel as the scenery will change depending on the date. We did the pilot's choice helicopter tour in Juneau and he noticed some beautiful deep blue ice and remarked that it wasn't there a week ago. When we did our glacier landing there were waterfalls all around us as the snow was melting and he told us that if we came back in a couple of weeks, those would be gone. He remarked how he enjoyed watching the changing landscape as it goes from snow covered to lush and green. As far as rain, remember that the coastline of Alaska from Ketchikan to Kodiak (the area covered by cruise ships) is a rainforest.

We have already determined that the next time we do an Alaska cruise, we would go at a different time of the year just so that we would get a different perspective and experience.

I just have to add my 2 cents worth. We went to Alaska in Aug/Sept 2002. The weather was awesome. We had drizzle one day in Ketchikan, that lasted about 1 1/2 hours. Didn't affect our attitude or our enjoyment on our tours. We did the land tour after our cruise and saw the most gorgeous colors in the fireweed that I have ever seen. Everything was getting ready for the long winter. We were told we had the best tour in Denali of the whole season, as far as seeing wildlife. My husband took an airplane ride around Mt. McKinley and his photos (he took a lot of them) showed snow, sunshine, shadows and the top of the mighty mountain. Also on the clear nights we were able to see the Northern Lights. I don't think you get that in the summer. As stated before, layer your clothes, dress for the weather and you will have a wonderful time whenever you go to Alaska.

We have never found the crew "less enthusiastic and customer-service weary" on any of our Celebrity cruises and we have done three transatlantic cruises at the end of the Europe season.

Celebrity is constantly rotating a percentage of their crew, the entire crew does not change all at once. Each week, crew leave the ship and new crew join it.

In answer to when to cruise Alaska, we cruised in early June and had great weather except for the day cruising Hubbard Glacier. It doesn't matter when you travel as the scenery will change depending on the date. We did the pilot's choice helicopter tour in Juneau and he noticed some beautiful deep blue ice and remarked that it wasn't there a week ago. When we did our glacier landing there were waterfalls all around us as the snow was melting and he told us that if we came back in a couple of weeks, those would be gone. He remarked how he enjoyed watching the changing landscape as it goes from snow covered to lush and green. As far as rain, remember that the coastline of Alaska from Ketchikan to Kodiak (the area covered by cruise ships) is a rainforest.

We have already determined that the next time we do an Alaska cruise, we would go at a different time of the year just so that we would get a different perspective and experience.

Neither have we, HAJEKFAM; Celebrity crews have always been wonderful to us. Remember that I was quoting from a well-experienced tour director who had served this line. That's how we decided on Celebrity in the first place.

My sister has lived in Juneau for many years, and we have visited her in April, May, June, July and August. July has the highest average temperature, so we went there in mid-July this year, and it was colder, foggier, and more rain than in April 2 years ago! I vote for late July when salmon are running - more opportunities to see bears. Just remember that all of southeast Alaska is a rainforest, and that fog and damp go with the geography.

Archived