Free motion sickness meds?

mnstahl

The type we chose is a very small pink pill - easy to swallow, no after taste at all. Very inexpensive at any drug store, Costco, or even places like Wal-Mart.

My trouble was that because the pill was labeled as "chewable" and "cherry flavored" I thought it would have a pleasant taste when chewed. Just warning others that it doesn't.

I believe for Bonine or any motion sickeness pill you need to take it BEFORE you become sick. It is a preventative not a cure. Usually you should start a day before your cruise, or at the very least a few hours before boarding.

Now if it works for you taking it when you start to feel symptons, then great. But for most people you need to take it before you feel symptoms. Works much better that way.

My trouble was that because the pill was labeled as "chewable" and "cherry flavored" I thought it would have a pleasant taste when chewed. Just warning others that it doesn't.

Bonine has an artificial sweetner which may explain the taste. I found this out the hard way. I had been using Bonine for quite awhile and it worked fine except for the first half hour after taking it. I was taking it a little earlier then required to make sure the previous dose didn't wear off. After taking it I would be sick to my stomach and feel awful. Stupid me thought the old dose was wearing off,the new dose had not kicked in yet and I was feeling the motion. I can't take artificial sweetners. The reaction I just explained is what happens after I take them(I can't refer to it as an allergy since I was told there is no such thing).I never read the ingredients on the box until another CC member posted them in our rollcall thread 3 days prior to my last cruise. I got a prescription of Meclizine from my doctor and I was fine on the last cruise.

Others have stated that they can purchase Meclizine over the counter. The drugstores around here would not sell it to me without a prescription and tried to get me to buy Dramamine which doesn't work for me. I think there are now 2 kinds of Dramamine on the market. One is chewable with an artificial sweetner the other is swallowed.I believe the main ingredient in Bonine and Dramamine are different...

Most motion sickness meds are antihistimines and as such-Don't take them with other antihistimines, like benedryl, zyrtec, etc. Even some sleeping pills are from the same family. You know "same church - different pew" idea. Check with your local drug dealer.:)

It probably depends on who is suing whom. Even though HAL and Princess are both owned by Carnival, they are operated independently.

When you think about it, it makes sense. If the purser hands you a pill, even if you asked for it, they are dispensing a medication. They have no clue to what medications you are alredy taking or if you have any allergies etc. This leaves them wide open for a law suit. I'm surprized that the risk management departments of the other lines haven't caught on to this.

Always take whatever you think you might need with you. Even the ships little store with OTC meds runs out of things at times. I would never depend on a ship to give me any type of meds, seasickness meds or any other type, especially for free.

Pack a small emergency kit in your luggage with all basic OTC meds. If you don't need them, you will give me the devil for having you pack them. But if you do need things like bandaides, aspirin, seasickness meds, cold meds or whatever, you will think I am one very bright person for suggesting it. LOL

That is wonderful advice and something that I have done for years. I have everything from cold medicines and Imodium to tylenol PM and Alka Seltzer morning relief with me and though there have been friends who have made fun of me I've gotten more than one knock on a hotel door asking for something from my stash.

It always seems like the illnesses hit late at night, espeically with the kids so the onboard store would be closed and you'd have to wait until morning, have it with you and you'll be happy.

Ginger and meclizine (Bonine) work in two different ways. Ginger helps with gastrointestinal problems, ie; ::urps::, whereas, Bonine helps with the dizziness you sometimes have 'in the head' ie; the semi-circular canal or middle ear. THAT'S the type of motion sickness I experience the most. I almost wish I just had a queasy tummy rather then that feeling of "whirlybird twirls." :eek:

Ginger supposedly was the only thing they found that really worked on the tv show "Mythbusters".

I don't get the dizzy kind- I only get the queasy kind and Bonine works for me and most people that I distributed it to on the Constellation in April. We had one really rough day returning to Bayonne, NJ. My son was pale and I was queasy. Poof- Bonine we were up and running with no side effects ten minutes later. I took another at bedtime as a preventitive. Was fine.

I swear by it. Have used it before and same thing. Bring it, chances are you won't even need it but better safe than sorry.

Use Meclizine HCL which is generic Bonine.... You can get it in small pill form or chewable tablets... IMO, It is better than Dramamine.

See below..

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

Why pay $7 for 16 pills when you can get 100pills of the same active ingredient?

Where do you get ginger tablets in Canada..or is it just GINSENG?? I can get candied ginger..I may take THAt..as we are quite high on the Aloha deck..

Hello fellow Canadian. I have bought here out east Gravol Ginger chewable tabs- you could probably find them at London Drugs or Drugworld. Check out any pharmacy. They work for me, chewing gum also helps.They do not cause any drowsiness for me. Good luck.

Why pay $7 for 16 pills when you can get 100pills of the same active ingredient?

The ones at Costco, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and many other drug stores are labeled with the exact same ingredients, and as you suggest, are much less costly - I believe 100 pills at costco were well under $20.

( Who needs 100? - I don't know, but just using this for comparison.)

Archived