Why 2 different prices for same trip for CT & NY????

McCutie

I got prices for the CCL Legend and 2 of the passengers are from NY and 2 are from CT. The 2 from CT got the cabin for $200 cheaper than the 2 from NY. When I asked the TA why she said it was a CT special.....Come on now! Does that seem fair for the 2 from NY?

although usually living in the state which the port is in gives you a bigger discount. I know there are lots of incentives for Florida residents. So while it doesn't seem fair to you I am sure your friend in CT are quite happy. Next time maybe it will be a NY resident special :o .

When you book a good agent should ask you what state are you from. Yes, thre are residency specials on certain cruises. Im sure it would have been fair if it was reveresed?

Thanks for the input......

Still strange but I guess there is nothing I could do about it......I priced with Carnival and 2 other t/a's and got the same price difference.

As far as being fair...(we are the ones that live in CT)...I still do not think it is (considering the same cabin, same t/a etc.) for my family in NY...but that is just me.....

....We went on the Dawn back in August of 2003 and there were 10 of us (5 cabins) and 4 cabins were all the same and I booked everyone through me and my agent and we were the only ones from CT and it was all the same price then. And we live closer to the pier in NYC than some of the other people who live in NY.

....I suppose they are trying to grab the CT people to go to NYC rather than the port of Boston...

Thanks again!

....We went on the Dawn back in August of 2003 and there were 10 of us (5 cabins) and 4 cabins were all the same and I booked everyone through me and my agent and we were the only ones from CT and it was all the same price then. And we live closer to the pier in NYC than some of the other people who live in NY.

Thanks again!

Residency specials are pretty hit and miss. As another poster pointed out, on some other sailing there may be no residency promotions at all, NY residents might get a break, CT residents might get a break, or the promotion might apply to residents off both states equally. There's no way of figuring out beforehand if there will be this kind of promo on a given sailing, whom it will apply to, and what the discount might be.

Out here on the west coast it always seemed like there were frequently promos for residents of Idaho -- it must have been a state with a lower of percentage of past cruisers. I always figured that they were hoping that if they could get some passengers on at a cheap rate they'd go home and tell all their friends about how great of a time they had and business would expand on the basis of good word of mouth. There's no advertising like a few satisfied customers, if you can figure out how to get them on the ship in the first place.

We get residency specials for Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi all the time from Carnival. It's actually a very common thing that Carnival does, but it is sporadic. A lot of them are after the 60-70 day final payment date, and it depends on how full the ship is. Many of these resident specials are offered to states that are within driving distance of the port of embarkation, but not always. I think they try to target the less-frequent cruisers, too.

Archived