Friends of Bill W. at sea?

molaurie

I'm about to take my first cruise. I'm a friend of Bill W.(18 months). I've heard there are usually meetings on cruise ships, and was wondering if anyone has any info. on this. Thanks!

Congratulations on your 18 months! EXCELLENT! :)

~Connie

I hadn't seen that term for about 10 years until I got the info for my upcoming vruise. Took a double take.

Of course, I hadn't seen the "Friends of Dorothy" for a long time either. ROFL

Is cruising so far behind the times or is it just that everyone is so darn FRIENDly. :D :D :D

(But to answer the OPs ?, I'll be on the Diamond Princess and they've got daily ones. And, BTW, congrats!)

Congrats on your 18 months:D !!! I have been on Holland America, Celibrity and Royal Caribbean and have seen meetings listed in all the daily flyers. I cruised a friend who has 13 years. You may find only one or two people in the room, but it takes only one other person to have a meeting. Take Care, Best of Luck, LU

I'm about to take my first cruise. I'm a friend of Bill W.(18 months). I've heard there are usually meetings on cruise ships, and was wondering if anyone has any info. on this. Thanks!

Hi Molaurie,

2 months shy of 5 years for me, congrats on your 18 months. I've found on the few cruises I've been on that the meetings are not attended very well or at all. Don't make that cause to not check it out. But, be prepared that you go to the meeting room and no one is there.

I'm sure you are aware that there is a whole lot of drinking going on, all over, all times, etc. But being that you have 18 months under your belt, I don't think it should be a problem. What I've done on our cruises is just treat the overindulgers as entertainment. The main lounges and disco are very interesting.

There is just so much to do on board the cruise that the drinking wasn't much of an issue. Good luck, enjoy your cruise and relax.

18 months, Congratulations!

There are so many activities to do on a cruise ship, I am not a Friend of Bill and I tend to drink less than on other vacations, it shouldn't be a problem for you since you did well for 18 months. It's true that some people overindulge during their cruises (sometimes it's funny to watch them, it makes you glad you are not that person), I just prefer to stay in good shape to participate in as many activities as I can.

Congratulations on your 18 mos. I just had 26 years in June -amazing how good it's really been.

I was on the Volendam in April and attended meetings every day at 4pm. Met some great people who I still hear from.

Keep coming back!

Enjoy your journey!

Barbara

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I especially like the idea about looking at all the people drinking and getting drunk as entertainment!!! In the old days, that would be me (making a fool of myself, dancing on a table, etc.). With 18 months under my belt, I think I'll do fine, and I'm sure I will enjoy myself much more than all the other vacations I used to take and this time I will actually REMEMBER it!!!

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I especially like the idea about looking at all the people drinking and getting drunk as entertainment!!! In the old days, that would be me (making a fool of myself, dancing on a table, etc.). With 18 months under my belt, I think I'll do fine, and I'm sure I will enjoy myself much more than all the other vacations I used to take and this time I will actually REMEMBER it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, way to go. Just past the 17 year mark last month. I am going on my fifth cruise in 7 days. I have sailed 3 diffrent lines and found a friends of Bill W. on them all. The last few have been on Carnival. You may be happily suprised at who may or may not show up. Take your Big Book with you... I find the small purse size is great to keep handy. Your higher power is with you. Remember that when you watch the sun rise and the sun set. Amazing. You will have the time of your life.

(sometimes it's funny to watch them, it makes you glad you are not that person)

That, and wondering how their shipboard account statement will fit under the door on the last night! Watching some folks, I've wondered at that on every cruise!

Personally, I like to remember my vacations.

Archived