diabetic question

sal13579

Persons with Diabetes

Notify the screener that you have diabetes and are carrying your supplies with you.

Once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed, the following items can be carried through the security checkpoint: insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products, vials or box of individual vials, jet injectors, pens, infusers, and preloaded syringes, and an unlimited number of unused syringes, when accompanied by insulin, lancets, blood glucose meters, blood glucose meter test strips, insulin pumps, and insulin pump supplies.

Insulin in any form or dispenser must be properly marked with a professionally printed label identifying the medication or manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label.

There is no limitation on the number of empty syringes that you will be allowed to carry through the security checkpoint; however, you must have insulin with you in order to carry empty syringes through the checkpoint.

Notify screeners if you are wearing an insulin pump and, if necessary, advise the screener that it cannot be removed since it is surgically implanted.

Insulin pumps and supplies must be accompanied by insulin with professionally printed labels identifying the medication or manufacturer's name or pharmacy label.

Advise screeners if you are experiencing low blood sugar and are in need of medical assistance.

I went with my sister who is a diabetic two years ago on the Sea. She takes shots also and we had no problems with her luggage. The only problem I had was her blood sugar got low one time and I ran to the closest place to get orange juice for her which was one of the bars. I told the bartender I need a glass of OJ for a diabetic quick and do you know he held me up b/c he had to swipe my card to make sure it got charged to my account. I could have gone all the way to the cafe and got it free, but I didn't have time!!! So I paid for the OJ and plus the tip for the rude bartender! I was so ticked off that he didn't give a damn that I was in a hurry and it was for a diabetic!

My Mom is also a diabetic and she had no problem whatsoever. Not sure it was necessary, but we called NCL prior to her departure to let them know. Within 2 hours of embarcation, room steward brought a sharps container - without even being asked.

She also told them at check in that she had her supplies with her. Also, I would recommend your Mom have it with her carryon and not put it into checked luggage.

Hope she has as wonderful a time as my Mom did! Mom said NCL treated her like royalty.

The only problem I had was her blood sugar got low one time and I ran to the closest place to get orange juice for her which was one of the bars. I told the bartender I need a glass of OJ for a diabetic quick and do you know he held me up b/c he had to swipe my card to make sure it got charged to my account. I could have gone all the way to the cafe and got it free, but I didn't have time!!!

Being a diabetic myself....I would never chance having my sugar drop with nothing readily available for me to eat or drink. Every since a young co-worker of mine dropped dead from a diabetic coma I am super paronoid about this. A diabetic should always store OJ and or protein drinks etc in the cabin's refrigerator at all times and carry the necessary quick fix glucose lozenges or something like that in their purse or pockets. I carry peanut butter crackers in my purse.

My sister in law went on her cruise several months ago and was frantic looking for something quick to eat before sail away since they boarded late and did not have lunch. She knows better than to leave home without something in her purse but I think she thought she could find something on board quickly but sometimes you are not near something you can get quick. She ultimately found something to eat and then made sure she had a good supply of things handy in her cabin and in her purse.

However, I agree that the bartendar should have just given you the OJ quickly. I mean what if you did not have your card with you...then what? :rolleyes:

Archived