Rome Airport Hotels

Can someone please recommend a HOTEL near or AT the ROME AIRPORT . we are coming in ONE DAY EARLY and would like to stay at the airport, then go from there to the ship the next day. Probably go into the City Center of Rome for the day before checking out of the hotel..

Any help would be appreciated.

Natalie

I agree re: the Hilton Airport hotel.

FWIW, a Hilton Garden just opened. It is about 2 1/2 miles away with shuttle service. I haven't stayed there (ir really JUST opened up). It might be worth checking out to see if they have a good deal since it is brand new.

You information has been helpful since we will be going to Rome in May 2007. I did notice there is a Marriot and a Holiday Inn close to the Airport (FCO). I have done two Meditterean Cruises before out of Barcelona and that City is easy to get to the port. Rome is wonderful however getting to the port is alittle more complicated. We plan on flying in at least two day early. Good luck Tim and Cathy

Since we aren't able to get a flight home from Rome on our disembarkation day, we plan on staying at the airport and going into Rome for about 9 hours. I know that the Hilton has a free shuttle into Rome, but does anyone know about returning to the Hilton later in the day? Do they have a shuttle back, or is there a train?

Mary Lou

We stayed at the Airport Hilton, and rather than wait for the shuttle, we simply walked over to the terminal and bought round trip "Leonardo Express" train tickets which get you into the Rome in 35 minutes, I think. It was more a matter of not burning up precious time waiting on the shuttle. The train will run later than the shuttle, and you don't have to worry you may not get a seat. Some have complained the last shuttle back can get over full.

I emailed the hotel about the shuttle a few weeks ago because we are staying there a couple of days before our cruise and this is what they answered.

"I would like to inform you that our shuttle

departs from the hotel to downtown every 2 hours, starting at 8 a.m.

until 10 p.m., and it stops in Via Teatro Marcello, 42 (really close

to Venice Square).

The dropp off is in the same street and the shuttle departs from

there every 2 hours, starting at 9 a.m. until 11 p.m..

There is also a shuttle service from the hotel to Fiumicino at 8 p.m.

and the coming back is at 8.15 p.m. and the last one is at 11.45 p.m."

I'm sure they would give you a ride back if your staying there.

We stayed at the Airport Hilton last month, both pre and post cruise. The shuttle does run every 2 hours - even into the city, odd out of the city. It drops off and picks up not too far from the Vittorio Emmanuel monument. We first walked from there to the Coliseum, and then decided to walk to the Spanish Steps area for an evening walking tour (it was farther than we thought it would be). After the tour we weren't that far from the pickup point - but still had to wait another hour for the shuttle. There really isn't much around there, except for a little snack bar, and nowhere to sit and wait. Anyway, we were pretty beat as this all took place the day we arrived in Rome.

On disembarkation day, we decided to take the Leonardo Express train and hook up with the metro, and actually made it to the Vatican by 12:15 for a 12:30 tour - and this was after checking in at the Hilton. If I remember correctly, the train was 11 Euro, and a metro ticket was 1 euro (It was still about a 1/4 mile walk from the train to get through the train station and both were very easy to use).

I guess it depends on what you want to see - the train and the shuttle drop in different parts of the city.

Also - you don't need to waste your time waiting for a shuttle from the airport to the hotel - we rented a cart (1 Euro) for our luggage - there is a walkway with good signage. It will save you a lot of time.

Oh, and by the way - the hairdryers are terrible in the hotel - they are attached to the wall and look like a vacuum cleaner.:p

thank you for the replies... i guess that the HILTON is the only choice to make near the airport... the other choice seems to be the COURTYARD or this new one the HILTON GARDEN INN, which is 14 miles from the airport... I have read various experiences on the HILTON and it's some of it is not good, others said it was adequate for what they needed. Those of you who stayed there... how was it? It seems to be quite pricey...

Nat

They have a captive audience, lots of cruise ship returnees and business people. It is pricy for a mid level Hilton, but it is in line with most on site airport properties. For us, the tipping point was a 7:10 flight out the following morning. I didn't want to hassle with traffic, and in that regard, my needs were met.

You may want to check out:

www.tripadvisor.com for specific reviews of all the hotels in Rome, or anywhere..

I just went back and looked at your original post. The Airport Hilton does not feel like you are in Rome. It may cost more, but getting a Hotel in Rome proper, and going to the ship from there the following day might be a better bet. If your are traveling several thousand miles to get somewhere, it is a shame to stop 30 miles short of your destination... Just food for thought.

I guess the reason I am asking about the hotel near the airport is that our cruise begins on May 25 and we are flying in on May 24 arriving on the 25th in the morning,like 11:00 and the cruise leaves at 5:00. We are contemplating taking a flight a day before... as a precaution..

SO that leaves me with the idea of going a day early and staying overnight near the airport... but perhaps the better choice would be to go to a hotel in the city, then go to the cruise ship from the city... the HILTON seems to be very expensive for what our needs are...

Nat

If you join the Hilton Honors Club online and then search for rates you can find an advance payment rate for $142 E. No cancellations.

We have done this twice. The food at the Hilton is very expensive. The second night we walked over to the airport and ate in the food court.

Patsy

i would definately go at least one day earlier. you can't go all the way across the world and stay at an airport hotel. we would only do that if we had a 6 am flight outbound.

go into rome and pick a hotel in town. go to romehotels.com to see a map of the city and very detailed information on various properties.

Can someone please recommend a HOTEL near or AT the ROME AIRPORT . we are coming in ONE DAY EARLY and would like to stay at the airport, then go from there to the ship the next day. Probably go into the City Center of Rome for the day before checking out of the hotel..

Any help would be appreciated.

Natalie

We stayed at the airport Holiday Inn a couple of years ago post cruise.

It was convenient, reasonable (for Rome) and had a free shuttle to and from the City. Great for an early flight the next day.

Here is a link. ---

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hpt/romdm?cat=prop

Archived