Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

Not yet, but it wouldn't totally surprise me to hear of such an instance, although I believe that were it to occur there might be more involved than simply trying to smuggle liquor onboard. RCI and other cruiselines have been stung by public criticism of underage drinking and passengers drinking to excess on their ships and seem determined to show that they are dealing with the problem.

I know this subject has been beaten to death but with that new clause in the documents, I worry that i will be that 1 person they will make an example of!!! I just want to take on 2 750 platic bottles but not sure it it worth my stress :-) i guess I could just play dumb...

Thanks for the info though!!

We decided to try it this time. I've always been against it & will probably not bring any again. Ours made it without a problem in our check in. I made 2 drinks out of it. Too much trouble to go to the room to make drinks. If you don't get the mixed drinks in a souvenier glass, they are under 5.00.

Frankly, I think this is purely a scare tactic on the cruiselines part. I don't think they have a case that they would be willing to allow to go to court, and I am sure if someone was denied admission for possessing a legal substance that RCI would not want the firestorm of public controversey that would surely ensue. In other words the likely result is that you will smuggle it on successfully or they will hold it for you until the end of the cruise and you may have an embarrassing moment where they confront you with your deed. Unless you are 16 and have a liquor store with you, I think you are worrying about something that is less likely to occur than being hit with an asteroid.

jc

We just got back from an eight day cruise on the Radiance, like most of the rest of you we work hard all year and plan every detail to make everything just right. We enjoy a glass of wine while leaving port. We ordered six bottles from this company to be deliverd to our cabin and was told that it would arrive around five. Our friends also order wine and they received theirs as promised. We did not get our wine so I went to guest relations because I thought it had probably been delivered and taken to the wrong cabin. The lady in guest relations was very helpful and made every effort to try and locate our wine. It was finally determined that the package had not been delivered to the ship. We called the next day and talked with an employee of Just Because of You and she said that she knew that the package was delivered to the ship. When we reached San Juan I called again and this time I talked with Shelly the owner. Shelly aplologized and said that the package had not been delivered to the ship. I asked Shelly if she could have wine delivered fron their San Juan office as they advertised they had an office there. She said they did not have the kind of wine that I wanted. I asked if they could go to a local store and purchase KJ . Shelly said they could not do this and she refused to purchase wine from the ship and have it sent to our cabin because according to her that would cut into her profits. Shelly made no effort to try and make things right. I don't print this for any kind of revenge, just to help fellow cruisers in the future. I would think twice before ordering gifts from this company.

are you sure?
I just got off the phone with Shelley last week- after about a half hour.

We had a great conversation, and I ended up ordering 2 bottles of Jack to be delivered to my stateroom for my January cruise. (I think they are putting liquor deliveries on hiatus for a little while, but I talked with her previously so she fulfilled this order).

She told me she rarely has problems, especially with FLL, and if I do not receive my package, she`ll refund me 100%

anyone else want to chime in? I have heard nothing but great things about Just Because of You

[quote name='cruisepal33']We just got back from an eight day cruise on the Radiance, like most of the rest of you we work hard all year and plan every detail to make everything just right. We enjoy a glass of wine while leaving port. We ordered six bottles from this company to be deliverd to our cabin and was told that it would arrive around five. Our friends also order wine and they received theirs as promised. We did not get our wine so I went to guest relations because I thought it had probably been delivered and taken to the wrong cabin. The lady in guest relations was very helpful and made every effort to try and locate our wine. It was finally determined that the package had not been delivered to the ship. We called the next day and talked with an employee of Just Because of You and she said that she knew that the package was delivered to the ship. When we reached San Juan I called again and this time I talked with Shelly the owner. Shelly aplologized and said that the package had not been delivered to the ship. I asked Shelly if she could have wine delivered fron their San Juan office as they advertised they had an office there. She said they did not have the kind of wine that I wanted. I asked if they could go to a local store and purchase KJ . Shelly said they could not do this and she refused to purchase wine from the ship and have it sent to our cabin because according to her that would cut into her profits. Shelly made no effort to try and make things right. I don't print this for any kind of revenge, just to help fellow cruisers in the future. I would think twice before ordering gifts from this company.[/quote]

I'm glad you posted this as I've read many posts encouraging passengers to use this company. I was thinking about using it in June to send a basket to someone we know that is sailing then. I don't like the idea that one person said they knew for sure it was delivered and than the owner admits it was not. I'll use another service. Thank you and I hope you get your money refunded.

I have to mention one thing that I am curious about. In Sept. we heard of a couple that cruised around the middle of the month and they wrapped up a basket themselves with a couple bottles of wine/champagne, a small bottle of rum, olives, cheeses, and crackers, etc. They used the celophane gift wrap and tied a big bow on it and walked right thru the terminal with it and carried it on the ship themselves. No one questioned it but a staff member did remark it was a lovely basket and the person said they had received it from friends that dropped them off at the pier. Yes, it did go thru the scanner with thier carry on also in the terminal and no one questioned it at all. Why couldn't everyone just do this themselves if they already allow service companies to deliver? I would rather send my friends a gift certificate from their liquor store so they could pick out exactly what they wanted then take a chance on a company buying the wrong thing or not delivering it at all. Just wondering. :confused: I know receiving a gift is very nice but I've read alot of posts that people use a company to deliver liquor to themselves just because they don't want to smuggle it. Why can't someone just carry their own big "gift basket" with them in plain site like the couple I heard of doing that? The ship they sailed on was NCL out of NY and they have a very strict no alcohol policy but you can have baskets delivered to them too.

[quote name='FitzLA']I order from wellwishers and have never had a problem. knock on wood. Try them next time.[/quote]

Wow! They have a great professional website and they are international as well! I spoke with a friend of mine earlier this evening who is a TA and she said this is the only company she uses to send gifts to her clients and their service has always been excellent. Thanks!:)

[quote name='aqhacruiser']Wow! They have a great professional website and they are international as well! I spoke with a friend of mine earlier this evening who is a TA and she said this is the only company she uses to send gifts to her clients and their service has always been excellent. Thanks!:)[/QUOTE]

You are welcome. I asked my TA about them, and she says they are the only one she uses as well. She said they have an excellent reputation and have never screwed up on her.

I have absolutely no experience using ANY delivery service, but I have been thinking about using Shelly for our upcoming Enchantment cruise.

Here is my best guess:

She has been receiving HUGE publicity and advertising and good word-of-mouth recommendations on this website. She is probably overwhelmed with orders all of a sudden.

I'm not at all surprised that one order was messed up and not delivered. I am sure that she will refund the OP's payment.

I wouldn't have expected her to send you wine from the ship's supply. I would expect her to refund your money, making you whole again, and YOU could order anything that you wanted. Why should she order for you from RC's store????? :confused:

[quote name='Merion_Mom']I have absolutely no experience using ANY delivery service, but I have been thinking about using Shelly for our upcoming Enchantment cruise.

Here is my best guess:

She has been receiving HUGE publicity and advertising and good word-of-mouth recommendations on this website. She is probably overwhelmed with orders all of a sudden.

I'm not at all surprised that one order was messed up and not delivered. I am sure that she will refund the OP's payment.

I wouldn't have expected her to send you wine from the ship's supply. I would expect her to refund your money, making you whole again, and YOU could order anything that you wanted. Why should she order for you from RC's store????? :confused:[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree with you...and i myself have heard great things about Shelly and Just Because of You..many people are more than happy with the service from her. I have spoken with her a few times concerning an order i have placed with her. She told me they havent screwed up once in 16 years, so i guess this is one of the first times. I wouldnt hesitate based on one negative experience...and im sure she will refund your money. Everyone makes mistakes.

This is at least the 3rd time I have heard a complaint about this company. Search is not working for me right now but I believe that this is the company that one poster said was unhappy with the basket she received and they lost the anniversary card that she sent to them for her husband ( I believe she did get a refund). Another more recently called to confirm an order and was told there would be no delivery because of a death in the family. I think there was an issue of how they handled the situation (no heads up phone call, no referral to another company) than the fact that they were unable to deliver.

Sara

I just got off the phone with wellwishers and spoked to and emailed Sheena. She was very nice and helped me with my order (a case of good 'ol Coors Light). It cost $55 + $7 for delivery. When you figure that out, it comes to $2.58 a can (or I had the option of the plastic bottles, but no real bottles), so to me it's worth the price. Hopefully all will go well and I'll see my case on Sunday!!!

I cruised on the Navigator of the Sea on September 16th of this year. I thought it would be fund to get a birthday present for my husband so I called Shelley and spoke to her. She was going to have a case of Coors Light for him. My sisters then called and were going to have two additional baskets (one for me and one for my husband) sent to our ship. Shelley did say that it may not get there until after we sail on that Saturday night. I did wait because there was also a delay in our luggage. When I didn't receive it by Sunday, I sent my sister an e-mail asking her to check with Shelley to see if the baskets and the beer had made it to the ship. At first Shelley said that we had to check with the purser. When we did, the purser said that they did not accept baskets. Shelley said that ships' pursers always said that. She did make us feel like we had to do the work to find it. I was really looking forward to see the look on my husband's face when he saw the surprise for him.
Shelley said that this was the first time that this had ever happened. She talked to the driver and it was delivered to the ship. She was going to investigate it and if it was delivered to us later in the week, we could refuse it and take it back to security because at least she could get her profit back. I don't know whatever happened. All I know is that we never received any of the three packages we were supposed to receive.
I was going to chalk this up to experience and not say anything, but as I am reading more and more, I am seeing that maybe this was not an isolated incident.

[quote name='cruisepal33']We just got back from an eight day cruise on the Radiance, like most of the rest of you we work hard all year and plan every detail to make everything just right. We enjoy a glass of wine while leaving port. We ordered six bottles from this company to be deliverd to our cabin and was told that it would arrive around five. Our friends also order wine and they received theirs as promised. We did not get our wine so I went to guest relations because I thought it had probably been delivered and taken to the wrong cabin. The lady in guest relations was very helpful and made every effort to try and locate our wine. It was finally determined that the package had not been delivered to the ship. We called the next day and talked with an employee of Just Because of You and she said that she knew that the package was delivered to the ship. When we reached San Juan I called again and this time I talked with Shelly the owner. Shelly aplologized and said that the package had not been delivered to the ship. I asked Shelly if she could have wine delivered fron their San Juan office as they advertised they had an office there. She said they did not have the kind of wine that I wanted. I asked if they could go to a local store and purchase KJ . Shelly said they could not do this and she refused to purchase wine from the ship and have it sent to our cabin because according to her that would cut into her profits. Shelly made no effort to try and make things right. I don't print this for any kind of revenge, just to help fellow cruisers in the future. I would think twice before ordering gifts from this company.[/quote]

I'm aboard the Jewel at this time and Shelley and her team was great to deal with prior to my cruise and everything ordered arrived on time as promised. I would not hesitate to deal with Just Because of You again.

Would Gordon or anyone else who has used Just Because of You, and considers him or herself to be a wine-o, please email me so that I can ask you questions about the wines that she can get?

My address is at america online, and it's my Cruise Critic name (but take out the underscore between the two words :))

Many thanks.

[quote name='mom1132']This is at least the 3rd time I have heard a complaint about this company. Search is not working for me right now but I believe that this is the company that one poster said was unhappy with the basket she received and they lost the anniversary card that she sent to them for her husband ( I believe she did get a refund). Another more recently called to confirm an order and was told there would be no delivery because of a death in the family. I think there was an issue of how they handled the situation (no heads up phone call, no referral to another company) than the fact that they were unable to deliver.

Sara[/quote]

I remember these posts you are talking about. There seemed to be some issue for awhile that this company could not deliver any alcohol to certain ships or ports and I remember people posting about that. I think it was a matter of what ships were enforcing the no alcohol broght aboard policy.

[quote name='DC2OC']I'm planning on my first cruise on RCL,has sailed on Carnival and Celebrity,and have read the vacation planner.X allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine,does RCL?.............................Frank:D[/quote]
As of July 06, no. Prior to that date you could bring 2 bottles and they charged you a $12 corking fee.