Maui: vote your priorities

ilya12000

Hi everyone,

We are going first time to Hawaii (Norw. Wind, 10 days in December). Problem is quite common for lot of cruisers: short time in every port and a lot of places to see! It looks that youi need to choose only one, maximum two. We are looking not so much for activities (like biking, snorkelling, beaching), but for impressions.

Let's start from Maui. It looks to us the most impressive places are Haleakala Crater, Hana Road, Iao Valley. We have time from 8 am till 9 pm (in reality less, as we need to be on board at 8 pm). We'd be glad to take any combined tour including air (helicopter or plane) plus land, but didn't find it. We could also rent the car. So taken in account all this possibilities, what is the best way to see the maximum on Maui according to collective wisdom of this amazinf forum?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Ilya

we are taking the wind in January. In 2005 we took the Pride of Aloha.

This time we are flying into maui 4 days before the cruise and staying in Maui. It is so beautiful.

I asked basically the same question.

1.) RENT A CAR (converible is so much fun, no matter of what age you are. Remember it is all US roads and all signs are the same, making it pretty easy to get around... plus there aren't that many roads on the island so it's hard to get lost.

The good news, any of your choices will be a great choice.

One of my best memories of maui was picking up a sandwich in Lahaina, driving and pulling off at one of the many road side parks.

Enjoyed the ocean, having a picnic and enjoying the whole Aloha mood.

We loved the road to Hana.... very pretty. the problem is, it takes at least 1 hour just to get to the beginning of the road!

(Thats 2 hours + just to get there and get back) I'd suggest that you don't do it, enjoy the west side of the island.... crater, ocean center, visit the valley, visit Lahaina. If you really want to drive the road to Hana..... You don't need to drive the entire road. The first half of the road is just as beautiful as the second half. And believe me, Hana basically has a beach (which is pretty but not the best beach beach in Hawaii) & a little snack bar.

Hi everyone,

We are going first time to Hawaii (Norw. Wind, 10 days in December). Problem is quite common for lot of cruisers: short time in every port and a lot of places to see! It looks that youi need to choose only one, maximum two. We are looking not so much for activities (like biking, snorkelling, beaching), but for impressions.

Let's start from Maui. It looks to us the most impressive places are Haleakala Crater, Hana Road, Iao Valley. We have time from 8 am till 9 pm (in reality less, as we need to be on board at 8 pm). We'd be glad to take any combined tour including air (helicopter or plane) plus land, but didn't find it. We could also rent the car. So taken in account all this possibilities, what is the best way to see the maximum on Maui according to collective wisdom of this amazinf forum?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Ilya

Ilya - There are definitely a few tour companies that combine helicopter trips with land activities. For a couple of suggestions check out:

http://www.ecomaui.com/maui-hiking-haleakala.html

http://www.sunshinehelicopters.com/sunshinetours/maui_tours/mauicombo.html

Seeing any of the islands from the air is breathtaking. Combine a helicopter tour with a ground tour and you get the best of both views. The only thing you'd be missing is doing something in the water but you'd definitely get the views from up above!

I have a second home on Maui so am happy to answer any questions I can.

Aloha,

Barb

Thank you, Merg55. Do you think to take the ship trip to Hana road (we have priority to leave the ship, don't need to waste time for car rental pick up, don't need to drive etc.) is worth the money ($99/person) or anyway Crater, Valley is just as interesting as the road? My concern is that we are going to visit Volcano park in Big Island (I think), so isn't Halecala crater similar to it? I'd like to see more different views during the cruise.

Thanks again,

Ilya

Thank you, Merg55. Do you think to take the ship trip to Hana road (we have priority to leave the ship, don't need to waste time for car rental pick up, don't need to drive etc.) is worth the money ($99/person) or anyway Crater, Valley is just as interesting as the road? My concern is that we are going to visit Volcano park in Big Island (I think), so isn't Halecala crater similar to it? I'd like to see more different views during the cruise.

Thanks again,

Ilya

Haleakala and Volcano National Park are two entirely different experiences. Haleakala is a dormant volcano with a moon-like crater at the top. VNP has active lava flowing (that you may or may not get to see depending on where it's at) and is much larger, with several calderas to view. If I were going to pick between the two, I'd skip Haleakala and do something else on Maui, then be sure to visit VNP on the Big Island.

Barb

My personal choice:

Rent a car and do Haleakala (taking time to STOP at the various look-outs)

and then something else (the car will give you that flexibility). It is NOT necessary to do Haleakala at dawn but I would recommend doing it first.

Ilya,

Just got back from the Wind 10 day (Oct 18th - 28th). When we were on Maui on the 26th, the Road to Hana was closed because several bridges had been knocked out by the earthquake. You may want to verify this before you plan your day.

We rented a car and were very happy we did. It is extremely easy to drive around the island and the drive along the coast to the Iao Valley is breathtaking. I would highly recommend the freedom that a car rental gives you.

We went with a private tour guide (Randy - Maui Hiking Safaris) and he took us on a hike up through the Iao Valley. It was just the two of us with another couple. We had a great day and stopped part way to eat and swim in a beautiful natural pool. The hike is quite difficult and not for the feint of heart but is recommended.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you dont have enough time in the island, I suggest not to do the road to Hana too. maybe you can go up to the wind surfer's place where lots of surfers converge... after that, not much to do. Well, it is all up to you, in our case, I didnt enjoy much. Just got tired driving the winding road. Go to the other side, yeah, that's much better to see.

In any how, enjoy your trip! good luck!

Square

Thank you everyone for valuable advices. We decided to do heli tour on Kauai, so my next question: is it possible to do in one day Jao Valley and Haleakala? The problem is that I rented car from Dollar and they close at 4 pm (we have departure at 9 pm). Unfortunately nor Hertz, neither Enterprise have the cars available to our date (they give the opportunity just to leave the car and the key after they closing).

Will be very grateful for advices,

Ilya

It took us I think around an hour to get up to the summit (it maybe less)

The road is winding and it is steep. Not many railings either.

The road to Hana is right on the coast so you have the beautiful ocean to see put all the trees.

We went up for the sunrise so I really don't know how it is during the day. (it is cooler up there)

I would think you could do both.

Have you thought of the Ocean center ? I heard that is nice. Showing is fun in Lahania.

ILya, if your plans include renting a car and driving the road to Hana, be advised. Most,if not all, state on the map they give you with the rental agreement,NO rental cars on this road. That includes at least some of the road to Hana. What we took that to mean,was if you didn't listen and took one of their cars on that road,AND had any kind of accident,you would not be covered under insurance. Any damage would be your responsibility entirely. We took that to heart and chose not to drive on the no-no road,at least with a car that wasn't ours. I know many choose to drive it,and nothing happens. Just thought I would warn you about the possibility,and then the decision is all yours.

We drove up to Haleakala to see the sun rise,and it was absolutely spectacular. Worth every minute of the long drive. FYI, dress warm if you're there early in the morning. It can get mighty cold at the top,even if it's 80 down at the base. Whatever you choose,you'll have a wonderful time. How can you lose,it's Hawaii. Maui is my ideal Heaven on Earth.

You most certainly CAN drive the road to Hana. The rental car companies do not want you to take the cars around the very southern part of the island which is way past Hana. However, the bridge past Hana, between Hana and the Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) is closed due to the earthquake so that's as far as you will be able to drive anyway.

And yes, Ilya, you can certainly drive both Haleakala and Iao Valley in the same day. Do Haleakala first if you're going to do both.

Thank you again for your advices. We lean to do Haleakala and Iao Valley and skip road to Hana (at least for this first time). May be we'll come again and will have more time in Maui, so it will be the next excursion.

Again about rental car: do you know if they give the opportunuty to leave the car after closing in any parking lot around. If not: can we do something interesting without a car in the remaining time (4-~8 pm)?

Best,

Ilya

Archived