PELICANS - AGE 3 strict guideline????

#1TravelMom

We've cruised many times before, but have not encountered an age guideline that was close to our childrens age. Our youngest will be 6 weeks from turning 3 years old when we cruise. She is already potty-trained and very bright (I know, all parents think their children are bright). Some of the 3-6 year old activities sound like things she would enjoy. Does anyone know if they will allow her to participate? I'd be glad to stay with her.

They are strict on the age limits. If your child was turning 3 by the end of the cruise, that's one thing. But if not, your child won't be allowed to participate in the program. Our child was a month too young on her first cruise but we knew the cruiseline had her birthdate so we didn't bother to ask. Have heard from others since then that they didn't have success.

As one poster stated, many parents will think their kids bright enough or mature enough to move up an age group. They could be right, but the counselors have enough to do without moving kids up and down the groups at the parents' whim. And the number of counselors for each group for each cruise were established once the passenger manifest was solidified.

When you first get to your cabin, there should be a packet for your child (assuming he's old enough). It will have info on the mandatory registration/orientation meeting plus a day-by-day listing of the activities.

The first night you go to the registration at which the rules will be discussed (parent must present a photo ID to pick up the kid; how signing in and out works, etc.). The next morning the program actually begins and you can bring your child at any time it's open.

If you want to take advantage of the kidsitting while in port (free) or after 10pm ($5/hr the last I heard), you need to sign up a day ahead. Usually the kidsitting activities will be movies, video games, board games, maybe crafts.

When there's a good number of kids onboard, there are activities developed by the California Science Center. My girl, 8 on her last cruise, loved these, including squid dissection.

They are strict on the age limits. If your child was turning 3 by the end of the cruise' date=' that's one thing. But if not, your child won't be allowed to participate in the program. Our child was a month too young on her first cruise but we knew the cruiseline had her birthdate so we didn't bother to ask. Have heard from others since then that they didn't have success.

As one poster stated, many parents will think their kids bright enough or mature enough to move up an age group. They could be right, but the counselors have enough to do without moving kids up and down the groups at the parents' whim. And the number of counselors for each group for each cruise were established once the passenger manifest was solidified.[/quote']

This is true the age limits onboard Princess ships are strictly enforced with no exceptions. Sorry. :(

We're going on the STar in March. I thought I read that the age group was 3 to 7. I'm hoping that's the case because my kids are 3 and 7 (and 11) and the two younger ones would prefer to be together.

We don't have baby sitting issues because the in laws are coming with us ;)

Hi -

My twins were 22 months on our last Princess cruise, and as long as I was there, they were allowed to participate in anything the other kids were doing. They did love the activities (art, songs, outdoor play, movies), and it was fun for me to be there (plus there were always other parents to talk to as well). Only one parent per child is supposed to be allowed at a time, however this wasn't enforced on my cruise - perhaps because it wasn't packed).

You'll all have a great time!

Best,

Mia

They are strict on the age limits. If your child was turning 3 by the end of the cruise' date=' that's one thing. [/quote']

Actually, you have to be 3 years old as of the beginning of the cruise. If you turn 3 during the cruise, you can't be in the kids program any time during the cruise--unless with parent.

Archived