Skagway - Too Crowded?

deadzone1003

I'm planning a cruise aboard the Sapphire Princess in July 2007. On the same day in Skagway, NCL Star, NCL Pearl, Serenade of the Seas, along with the Sapphire Princess will all dock at 7am with the first ship leaving in 5 pm. This sounds like a recipe for a bad experience. Have anyone been in Skagway when 4 ships of these size are in port at the same time? What was your experience? :(

It'll be very busy downtown, but I'm hoping that you want to see Alaska and not Diamonds International and the Taiwanese T-shirt shop, so will be "out of Dodge" on an excursion anyway. Three ships in Skagway is reasonable, 5 ships is a zoo - Cathy and I just avoid Skagway on 5-ship days. OTOH, when only 1 ship is in, most shops don't even open. And Skagway is no more crowded than Juneau or Ketchikan (and less crowded than St. Maarten or Nassau), so you might as well get used to it.

Murray

I've been there with 4 ships at the same time, it was fine. We did the White Pass train excursion/Gold Dredge and had a nice time.

When we came back to the port later the town was hopping, lots of people everywhere but it was no trouble at all.

Thanks for the link! At least now I know I'll be prepared to share Ketchikan and Juneau with 4 other ships! :rolleyes: It never gave me an answer on Skagway - but reservations are made there so I won't worry. ;)

If you really want to avoid the numbers, sail on the off days, Wed, Thurs.. I've been in Juneau with 7 ships, and as Murray says- make good PLANS to get out of town. A few blocks one way or the other can have a wonderful walking tour away from the shops. I just shake my head at the big number of people who just step off the ship without a clue and wander aimlessly. :) Do your homework, have all plans and reservations in place before you go, and enjoy Alaska. :)

If you really want to avoid the numbers, sail on the off days, Wed, Thurs.. I've been in Juneau with 7 ships, and as Murray says- make good PLANS to get out of town. A few blocks one way or the other can have a wonderful walking tour away from the shops. I just shake my head at the big number of people who just step off the ship without a clue and wander aimlessly. :) Do your homework, have all plans and reservations in place before you go, and enjoy Alaska. :)

LOL Budget Queen:D . I can just picture them now...mass amounts of people in a happy stupour stumbling this way and that as they "wander aimlessly"...lmao

:D :D

There were 5 ships when we were there I think. It was busy, but not too crazy.

The only time it really bothered us was while we were trying to find the gas station to fill up our rental car and people would just cross the street right in front of our car, not even looking. We saw a lot of people walk right in front of buses, or walk into the middle of the street to take a picture, talk about crazy.

LOL Budget Queen:D . I can just picture them now...mass amounts of people in a happy stupour stumbling this way and that as they "wander aimlessly"...

. . . and all with coupon books so that they can get their 'free' gold dust in a bottle at the local 5-and-dime!

While these types give tourists a bad name, at least, as BudgetQueen points out, one can easily avoid them by doing one's homework. Where the throngs congregate is not where you want to be anyway!

Consider going into town early to enjoy the sights before things get crazy. We had a rental car reserved so we got off the ship by 8 AM and wandered the town a bit (by accident - why is the Avis location so hard to find?!?!?). It was a nice chance to enjoy the charm of the town and get some pictures. When we got back from our drive to Emerald Lake, we could not believe how insane the town was. The wide boardwalks were full and people were walking in the streets as well. We did our shopping then but were glad we got to see the town in its brief morning peace.

Archived