First Cruise of the Season - Any Downsides?

cf2404

We are considering Diamond Princess Alaska cruise departing 12th May 2007. I believe this would be the first of the season and therefore wonder whether there may be any downsides to being the first e.g. teething problems with ports, excursions, general level of service as the crew get into the swing of a new routine?

I think going at this time has more advantages than disadvantages. I think the major advantage is that with most children in school you will find the ports and the ship a little less crowded than the summer months. So, I think going either very early or very late is a good way to go if your situation allows you to travel then.

Keith

Actually you are two weeks into the season, not first arrivals. Mid May is an excellent time to go. The problem will be if you are interior touring, since Denali Park is best from end of May. If doing interior touring, do Denali Park last on your routing.

For those going at the begining of May- it is too early in my opinion. Some places were still boarded up- Carcross, weather was horrific this year, I had 6 out of 7 days of downpours. :) I will not consider going that timeframe again. I've gone several times mid May- with again this next season and have always had an excellent time.

Kids are not an issue in Alaska- anytime. Bulk of passengers are still adults with a small percentage of kids, no where near in the numbers sailing the Caribbean.

While I agree that there are certainly less kids in Alaska than the Caribbean my point is that the down side of crusing in Alaska is how crowded the ports are. When we took our first cruise in Alaska in 1995 far fewer ships cruised this area than today. So, I think the advantage or going earlier or later is that with very few kids (even if it's 100 or 200 per large ship or whatever number) means fewer passenger's in each port.

Keith

I have gone as early as May 7th and several times mid-May.

We have had fantastic weather and we did not encounter any places closed. The scenery is fantastic - especially the ride to Carcross because many of the lakes are still frozen and there is still snow (though not on the streets). There is often wildlife (bears) along that ride in May.

I have gone as early as May 7th and several times mid-May.

We have had fantastic weather and we did not encounter any places closed. The scenery is fantastic - especially the ride to Carcross because many of the lakes are still frozen and there is still snow (though not on the streets). There is often wildlife (bears) along that ride in May.

I am referring to the first sailing, meaning May 1. you went the second week. :) The first week was too early this year. I was on it. :)

This poster should be fine with their sailing. :)

I am referring to the first sailing, meaning May 1. you went the second week. :) The first week was too early this year. I was on it. :)

Budget Queen - the year I went, it was the first week that ships went that year.

Need for clairfication of first. :) Cruises have backed up- used to be mid May the first sailings. The point, I'm making, is if you cruise Alaska the first week of May- I found it too early. My opinion only.

It probably varies from year to year. 2 years ago - they were having extremely warm temps at the end of April and first of May. It was very warm and dry. It was warmer in Alaska at that time verses where I live in the midwest.

Need for clairfication of first. :) Cruises have backed up- used to be mid May the first sailings.

That certainly is true. My first Alaska cruise was a "first of the year" sailing. The date of May 18 sticks in my mind for it. I remember because it was a Mt St Helens eruption anniversary day (certainly a day I'll never forget!). I almost wouldn't be surprised to see April sailings some day :rolleyes:

-Monte

My hubby and I are on the same cruise - May 12 Diamond. I just realized tonight that this is the first Alaska cruise of the season for the Diamond. I thought Diamond cruised to Alaska May 5th, but they don't rigtht? So...i am also concerned. Will we have new cruise staff that are not prepared? Will we be the ones to deal wth the "kinks"?

My hubby and I are on the same cruise - May 12 Diamond. I just realized tonight that this is the first Alaska cruise of the season for the Diamond. I thought Diamond cruised to Alaska May 5th, but they don't rigtht? So...i am also concerned. Will we have new cruise staff that are not prepared? Will we be the ones to deal wth the "kinks"?

For the ship's crew, which waters surround the ship is immaterial - whether it's Alaska or the Caribbean doesn't affect their jobs at all. But most of the crew will have sailed Alaska before.

Murray

We went May 10th in 1999. It was really cold, some snow left by the roadside and rained almost daily. The biggest factor for me was Denali wasn't even open yet. The park opened the day we set sail Southbound from Seward. I had wanted to do a few days before the cruise to see Denali, but the TA advised me I wouldn't be able to get into the park, so didn't stay any extra time. Flew to Anchorage, bus to Seward and right on the ship. That's one of the reasons I'm willing to go back next year, we are doing a cruisetour Northbound. Off the ship at Skagway and overland to the Yukon and interior Alaska on August 18th. I had read that mosquitos were bad in June and July, so I picked August. Then this year, August got so many storms and rain, roads washed out, folks here on this site talked of terrible times on the cruisetours. I hope we have a little better weather. I'm not going to melt in the rain, but if the roads and trains can't run, that definitely will impact the trip.

So bottom line, do some checking. If you are just going on the cruise, it shouldn't be too bad at that time of year. But if you are going to try and see any of the interior, you definitely want to see when things are scheduled to open. Of course everything is subject to change when you travel. Unfortunately nobody can predict the weather.:D

>>Then this year, August got so many storms and rain, roads washed out, folks here on this site talked of terrible times on the cruisetours. I hope we have a little better weather.<<

This August was one that will go down in the record books, though - those were 200-year floods, not what you can expect. No tour operator was equipped to deal with it simply because it's never happened before.

Murray

• 3 weeks later...

We've been 3 times: once in August and twice in May. We prefer May for several reaons: fares are not peak; fewer children on board (we're not anti-kids BTW); the merchants are glad to see you; maybe fewer ships in port; and a lot more snow down low.

Our first May cruise was mid-May, around the 13th and we had only one day of drizzle, in Ketchikan and it did not affect us in the least.

Last year, we left Seattle for Alaska on May 3 and did not see a single whale until the last sea day while we were heading south and whales were heading north. So, I agree with Budget Queen: the first week in May is not the best time., at least with respect to whale watching. We had great weather the entire week, however. It hit 70 degrees the day were were in Juneau!

About the only thing you won't see in May versus sailing in July or August, is all the salmon, but there is a salmon hatchery in Juneau that is available for tours.

Archived