Whale watching excursions Cabo

gatorchinsky

We are on the January 27, 2007 Diamond sailing and they do not offer the whale watching excursion:( . Does anyone know why? We are in Cabo from 7am to 2pm on February 1st. Is that enough time if we book through an outside tour company to watch the whales? The tours appear to be 2 hours long. Any recommendations on guides? Thanks for your help.

Wow....I thought there weren't any excursions on our March sailing due to last week of the season, but you are in high season. Strange how it shows excursions offered before you book the cruise but it certainly isn't offered after you book it.

I was wondering the same thing since if we don't book an excursion through the ship we will be the last ones to get a tender.

I am very confused why they are not offering this tour on our cruise. It is definitely the high season. It appears that they are offering other tours that last longer so I don't believe it is a time issue. I guess we will just have to skip it this time. I don't want to take a chance and miss the last tender back.

wow...I'm so excited to see that Princess finally added this excursion. I had booked with a private company, and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to tender in time....now I don't have to worry:D ! Now....to go on the Zodiac, or the larger boat??

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Zodiac and big boat and then the earlier time or later time. I am leaning towards the bigger boat since it does offer soft drinks and probably a restroom and at first leaning towards later time but then realizing there would be no time to pick up a souvenir if we have to meet on the ship so now leaning towards the earlier time.

What is everyone deciding in pros and cons I don't see.

Thank you so much for the info that Princess just added whale watching to Jan. cruises. We thought it was so strange that you could not do the zodiak whale watching excursion in the middle of the whale wathching season. I found some private company's but with you only being in Cabo such a short time I was afraid to book on my own. (We usually book private tours and have had good luck.) We didn't want the ship to leave us at the docks if we were late.

Thanks again this web site is so informative!

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Zodiac and big boat and then the earlier time or later time. I am leaning towards the bigger boat since it does offer soft drinks and probably a restroom and at first leaning towards later time but then realizing there would be no time to pick up a souvenir if we have to meet on the ship so now leaning towards the earlier time.

What is everyone deciding in pros and cons I don't see.

My son is twenty-nine and he's going on the zodiac . . . I'm fifty-nine and going on the "big boat." It's just a matter of my son wanting to see a whale up close and personal and me wanting a nice cold soda and relaxing time on the water while looking for whales at a distance. Now were I a tad younger and more agile . . . I'd be right there with him in that little zodiac . . . :p

Do you know if this tour leaves right from the port where the tenders drop off at?

All the main whale watching boats like Cabo Rey, La Princesa, Buccaneer Queen, and Ocean Riders leave from the marina where the cruise tenders are. The zodiacs are only about a five to ten minute walk, while the other boats you virtually are dropped off at their doorstep by the tender.

It's all very easy, and you do save quite a bit of money by booking privately, and sometimes get other perks too.

Hey gatorchinsky:

I called Princess and asked them why no whale-watching excursions for our sailing (1/27) and while I was on hold the Princess rep talked with the excursion coordinator and found out that it was a goof-up on their part. They assured me that the whale-watching would be available the next day....and it was! We're signed up for the second Zodiac trip in Cabo.

Come on over and join our roll call for the cruise.

We're planning at least one CC gathering. :)

We did the early zodiac excursion on our Diamond Princess cruise, and it was great. We saw lots of whales and dolphins, even some breeching whales, and the ride itself was great. You'll see more whales on the zodiac because it can move faster through the water to where the whales are spotted -- our driver was in communication with another boat and they compared notes on where the whales were. Here's one of them:

whale.JPG.8f7ca2a0df128852afbdb61864a3cd93.JPG

Here is another possibility for whale watching (and other tours) in Cabo. http://www.allaboutcabo.com/rissalena2.htm This is the website with the info.

One of the guys on our CC roll call thread for our Mercury 1/29 cruise out of San Diego set us up with a tour. The boat holds up to 22. The operator is considered reliable and the price was $18 less pp than Celebrity's.

For Acapulco, another roll call cruiser set many of us up with a tour with the famous Rosie. We had such a waiting list that she is having her husband drive a second van to follow her.

Happy cruising everyone!

You will get wet. That's part of the fun!

If you wear a waterproof windbreaker, you can put your camera in your pocket or inside the jacket during the speeding, then take it out when the boat stops as it approaches the whales.

For a few dollars, you can buy a dry bag to put the camera in. Look at your local dive shop.

If you have a waterproof housing for you camera, bring it.

If you have your fancy digital camera around your neck while the boat is in motion, you will wish you hadn't. Make sure you have a dry container, pocket, waterproof windbreaker, or a dry bag.

If you have a small handheld video camera, you'll want to bring it - there is an opportunity for some awesome video as you get right up close - you can set it to maximum quality, and then grab stills out of your footage to give you an even better chance at some amazing photos. Again, though, make sure to keep it dry.

Awesome experience - the whales are already in the bay!

Archived