Diving With Ecotours In Belize?

getta

We used Ecotours in Belize for a private snorkle charter in October. Had a wonderful time, no problems. As I am writing this I remember reading a thread before that there are two companies with close names Ecotours and Ecological Tours. We used the company that is run by Marvin Deras. I remember that name, but would have to go back and comfirm Eco versus Ecological. Our guides name was Herbie. The day was terrific with no problems, except for some cranky kids, but at least it was a private charter so we didn't bother anyone else.

We dove with ecotours in belize last month. Spectacular dive.

Liked it so much, will do a week there next June hoping to dive

with whale sharks during full moon period.

Contact Marvin at email: cavetubing@yahoo.com

Website is www.ecotoursbelize.com

The website gives great description of the dive and plane ride

to Ambercris cay..

Have a great dive!

The eco tours website now says dive price is $159 pp..altho Marvin was good, If I were going again, would make reservations with Acqua dives (just google acqua dives belize) (for a two tank dive the day your ship reaches port)..Cost $60..take a taxi at the pier to the Belize City A/P (3 min away) cost$5-10, pay for r/t on cessna from (Maya Air) Belize City to San Pedro (where ambercris cay and acqua dives is located) for $54 r/t..for a total

cost of $124.

We did the Hugh Parker trip woth Carnival last year. The price was close to what was offered off the ship and they picked us up from the anchored ship and returned us to the ship. Well worth the extra $5 or so per person. Riding the ferry into the port and getting to the other dive shop in Belize City would have been a P.I.T.A.

We had a great trip with them.

• 1 month later...

I did the ecodives scuba trip with the flight out to the caye- Marvin was great to work with, but if I were you, insist to marvin that he goes with a different dive outfit- aquatours sucked! Verrrry dangerous outfit. Boat wasn't working, no safety gear onboard, the gear was a mess- tanks were expired, regs freeflowed and BCs leaked like seives. I complained to Marvin about how unsafe they were, but I don't know if he went with a different outfit yet. We brought all our own gear after hearing a few complaints thinking we would be ok, but after that experience, I wouldn't recommend aquatours to anyone- even if you have your own gear. The tanks were a mess and I had to practically get into a fistfight over getting another tank after my tank "tasted funny" and was missing an o-ring. the divemaster wouldn't put in an o-ring, and his solution was to just crank my reg on as hard as possible- I had to have my reg serviced after that episode- it was ridiculous! They are a death waiting to happen, so just talk to marvin and just insist that he uses another dive outfit- there are plenty over there, just talk to him and I am sure he will oblige...

Lisa

we did ship's excursion from Hugh parkey's and it was the best dive of the week...great DM...although the 45 minute boat ride to the atoll is alittle long especialy when rough....

Hi Lisa, thanks for the review of Ecotours. We were concerned enough after reading that we contacted Marvin. He first e-mailed us and then called us on the phone and let us know he has changed dive shops to Discovery Divers. Since he assured us of their safety, we are going with them. We will write a review of the dive when we get back. We're diving on 2/13. Thanks again, Ray

We were on Carnival Miracle last Aug., and used Ecotours. We met Marvin at the port. He drove us to the Belize Municipal airport to take the small plane to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye.

At that time the shop he used was Aqua. My wife and friends had a wonderful snorkeling trip with them to Ho Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

My diving pretty good. But the first BC they provided was awful. It was well worn, and the pockets on both sides had big holes, unable to hold anything (slate, sausage, whistle, knife). The guy said they didn't have any other BC in size medium. Fortunately before we went on the boat, I asked the DM if there are any other BCs. He said there were some returns from the morning dives, and found me a good size M BC.

At the first dive I found the mouthpiece had a crack at the place where your teeth close to hold it in your mouth. After that I showed the DM and he said he will change a regulator for me. We did the SI back at the beach. Well in the 2nd dive I found the first stage had a small leak, with small bubbles coming out. Fortunately it didn't lose a lot of air and we still got a good dive (I think it was 45min but I need to check my log to be sure).

After the dive I told Marvin about the equipment problems of this shop. He said this is the first he heard and said he will talk to the owner of the shop. After that I did read a few other reviews basically saying the same thing (good dives, but rental equipment not good).

It's good to hear he finally change Dive op. Hopefully the new op will provide good gears and good diving trips.

Archived