Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

Yes, there is a train from the Airport to Termini, Rome's main train station. From there you can walk or cab to your hotel. And NYC is right...watch for pickpockets. Just keep your wallet in your front pocket...seems to work well for me.

I don't mind connecting in Europe, although some airports are easier for that than others. DeGaulle (Paris) is terrible for it, although there worse things in life than being "stuck" for a night in Paris.

We have no choice but to connect, as there are no direct flights from here. Iberia via Madrid is looking better and better, as they have good service and their prices are coming down. Plus, they fly an A-340 across the pond, so we can sit together without having someone in a middle seat for 8-10 hours (shudder).

Looking forward to meeting everyone who is going on this great vacation in Italy.

Would anybody be interested in finding a hotel that we can all stay at in Rome?

It would be a cool way for us to all meet & greet and possibly arrange transportaion to get us all to the ship.

We might even be able to get a group rate for the stay in Rome.

I am considering these hotels--please google their websites if interested:

HOTEL REX - Home Page

Hotel Rex - 4 Star Hotel - Termini Railway Station - Rome

Alpitour World Hotels & Resorts

Thanks!

Mark--Fort Lauderdale

I am working on the rest of the details for our trip and need to pick a hotel in Rome. How did you pick one? I've been in Rome before but the last time was 15 years ago, I was on a business trip and had a generous expense account. Not sure I want to spring for the place I stayed last time, Hotel Majestic on the Via Veneto. Anyway, I've been surfing but am not too confident about what the web info is giving me. Any advice and recommendations is greatly appreciated. Oh, we are flying to Rome on Aug 4th;my partner has never been to europe and I want him to see the "big" stuff in Rome.

Thanks

Albiewriter: what we did was look at Purpleroofs to see if there were any gay or gay-friendly places listed there. We also looked at reviews on Trip advisor to see what they had to say. Based on that, we booked our hotel. 66 Imperial Inn. At 100 euros a night, with air conditioning, it seemed like a good deal to us. I've never been to Rome, but my partner has, so I figured if he was ok with it, it must be fine.

I asked my TA about Hotel Accomodations and if RSVP was going to offer anything. She E-Mailed back: "RSVP should be coming out with a pre & post hotel package , but nothing yet. They guess within the month."

Although I am not expecting much, I'll wait to see what they are offering. The Hotel Rex looks ideal. Location is important since we'll have little time to take in Rome. I may take one of those last day excursions in Rome, but what happens with my luggage? Will Holland America deliver it to a hotel or send it to the airport?

She also wrote: "The location where the ship arrives is about 40 miles from downtown Rome. Transfers will be offered on or before cruise time."

I'm not sure what this means. Could RSVP will be paying for our ride to the pier?

Glenn

The 66 Imperial Inn also looks good, Michael. Trip Advisor is a great help in making these decisions. I am not familiar with purpleroofs, I'll take a look. But I'm stll going to wait and see what RSVP will offer.

Glenn

Hey guys,

Glad I found this forum!

My partner and I are really looking forward to this cruise (and have been for months.) This will be our first cruise.

We are arriving very early and going to Assisi and Florence before the cruise, but plan on being Rome the night before the ship departs. So, we are quite interested in meeting up for dinner the night before - so add 2 more to the list. We will also be traveling with a friend and his friend, so there may be 2 more.

I have been looking at Trip Advisor and it is helping. Never used Purpleroofs before but I will check it out. As for getting to the port I have researched car or limo type services. I assumed RSVP would have a pre-cruise package and then you could let them take care of the port transfer. If it is a good deal I will take it, if not we can arrange our own transportation. It isn't really that expensive all things considered. Or may be with a trip planned at 15 days in Europe I have become numb to the expense:) Sure not the same as the 1st time I went over there with a back pack and a Euorail pass. Anyway, I am going to check some of the hotels other guys have posted on here. Thanks.

My partner, Vinnie, and I will be on the Westerdam for the August Roman Oddysey cruise. To respond to Glenn K in NJ, RSVP will offer transfers to the ship that you will have to pay for. If you stay in their designated hotel, the transfer may be included in that price.

We live in a small town about 100 miles north of New York City. We were om the Atlantis Barcelona to Athens cruise last summer which was wonderful. This will be out 5th gay cruise. We will be arriving in Rome two days prior to the cruise.

If you have any questions, please ask. It's nice to see you all here and I think you are going to have a magnificent time.

Ciao!

Bill

Well, I am curious to see what they offer. Otherwise, as I said before, we may just train to Civitavecchia and take a cab from the station. We won't be travelling with steamer trunks, so we should be ok...

STILL hoping for a decent airfare to pop up...And that hubby's work won't make us have to cancel the cruise altogether...

Sigh. OK, I'lll try not to cry, but it looks like we're going to have to cancel this wonderful vacation. Looks like hubby's long-delayed project (waiting 2 years due to construction delays and gov't mismanagement) is going to be starting in Mid-July...which means no vacation until maybe December. And cancelling this trip. I am soooo bummed.

We are cancelling this trip as well. My brothers wedding is the weekend before and several family members are flying in and visting for a while. Most I don't get a chance to spend much time with.

So I had to make a tough call and cancel.

Although I can't get in touch with ANYONE from RSVP!!!!

Sorry guys! We will be on the Caribbean next February for sure!!!!!

I will still follow the thread and I can't wait to hear about your amazing vacation!

Yes, master,Tom, I hear and obey.

Does anyone know how our cell phones will work in,Rome? I've only had it for about a year and I've never traveled abroad with one.

Tom,The Rex, is near the,Coloseum, and I'd like to see it are you planning a tour? Or did you already do that the last time you were in,Rome?

Hi guys, A few posts back, someone had questions about the cost of transportation from Rome to the ship and vice versa. I was on a Grand Princess cruise that ended in Rome last spring, and the price from the port to Rome was $60 per person and the $55 from the port to the airport. Princess and Holland America are both owned by Carnival Corp, so the price should be close to what we may pay. It is a long distance from the port to the airport. It took about 75 minutes on the autostrata/interstate. We have 3-5 in our Westerdam group and may look for a van to the port.

Have been trying to post but it never seem to work. Hope that this goes thru. We are on the cruise. Please not that there is a train that runs from the main rr station to the port then a short taxie to the ship. I am sure that it will be much cheaper than anything RSVP offers. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

No, it's a no-go. They say the project is going to start this summer. It probably won't since it's been delayed over 2 years (your tax dollars at work). As it is, Hubby is supposed to be on "stand-by" with the idea that it could happen any minute. Instead, we have a back-up plan (thank you free air miles)...Portugal and Spain with a rental car starting 5/19. Lisbon, Evora, and the Algarve in Portugal, Caceres, Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, and Sevill in Spain. He just got the approval to take the time off. We've put up with this crap for the last two years, when delay after delay occurred and we were never sure if they would revoke his time off.

Given that we won't be going, I regret even more not meeting all of you who did the Caribbean cruise when you were here. It was just a crazy time for us, with me working WAY too many hours. Ah, the life of a freelancer.

Now, for your travels from Rome to Port: There are LOTS of companies that offer transfers where you can rent an entire van. Remember though that European trunks and such are smaller than here, so it could be an issue. I've seen a site advertising a van for 8 costing 190 Euros. Heck, 23.75 per person isn't that bad for direct service.

Regarding the train: the Intercity train takes on 46 minutes, leaving from Rome Termini every 2 hours with only one other stop in Rome. The fare looks to be around 9 Euros, plus seat reservation. The slow train takes about 1:15, costs a bit less, but has no seat reservation.

I'll be following along as well, and will be thinking about you as we sun in the Algarve.

I received an email today from Lufthansa telling about their discounted business class airfare to Europe thru the summer, including the RSVP cruise. So, if you haven't already booked your airfare and want to fly business at a discount, you may want to look at Lufthansa.com or Kayak.com. The sale is good thru mid-April. I always love to pass along bargains.

The two of us will be celebrating our 30th anniversary. We had booked a similiar itinerary aboard Renaissance for our 25th, but then 9-11 happened and the line went under.

We have since done two Atlantis cruises aboard NCL, so RSVP will be new to us. But what a great itinerary!

We fly into Rome Monday morning.

(We are the two friends travelling with Nickinkazoo in the above post.)

Jeff and Brad

Hi Everyone, Have been tying to get on this board but also seems to have problems, Congraduations on your anniversity. We will also be celebrating our aniversity. Labor 50 years. Now staights top that. Have been on many RSVP cruises but not recently. Have also been to Italy 3 times. Spent a week in both Venice and Naples but do not know Rome.

Will spend a week in Rome before cruise. Maybe we can meet on the Ship and have a drink together.

D & G

John and Robert here. We have made several RSVP cruises and love them. We have a VD cabin on Verandah deck I think and will be flying out Sunday (arrive Monday) the 5th. We will have a few days after the cruise in Rome also, fly back on Tuesday 21st. We are staying at the Cavaleri Hilton as it was free with points.

John and Robert here. We have made several RSVP cruises and love them. We have a VD cabin on Verandah deck I think and will be flying out Sunday (arrive Monday) the 5th. We will have a few days after the cruise in Rome also, fly back on Tuesday 21st. We are staying at the Cavaleri Hilton as it was free with points.

hi,

david and john here. i've read this board from the very beginning, and am up to speed.

we were on the last 2 rsvp caribbean cruises and loved it. i know a few of you. rms, hello. same to chris from switzerland.

i agree with all of you. the trip is what you make it. atlantis is fine, if that's what you want. they do a great job. crowd is a little young (and energetic) for us, so we prefer rsvp. but it's the "dorothy" syndrome. (if you ever go looking for your heart's desire, it's in your own back yard---ok....parapharasing a bit)........but john and i carry our joy and happiness with us.........<g>

here's what we're up to:

flights are booked through frequent flyer miles. miami/paris/rome via air france. (god help my luggage)........glad i was able to get free air, even if it is coach.........<g>

we arrive the 6th of aug, and return home the 21st. 3 early days in rome and 2 after in paris. count us in for dinner, although i suspect that in the next 4 months, the crowd will be too big for that poor restaurant. LOL

we're still kicking around hotels, b&b's etc in both places. haven't picked one out yet, but trying to keep it a little on the less expensive side. i'll look into all your suggestions.

my ta offers a bus to the pier, but it's like 50 bucks each, each way. i've heard the train is just dandy. 9 euros each or something. (i love to ride the trains in europe anyway. so much countryside).......but if we get a group and can charter a mini bus for a reasonable amount, i'm not opposed to that.

we took an inside cabin, based on the fact that on previous cruises, we spend virtually no time in the room, other that shower, change, sleep and hump. rather spend the extra money on excursions and shopping....<g>

we're really looking forward to this trip. (booked it last march 2005). now just 4 months to go. i'm practicing my italian and will be proficient (i hope) by august. i used to speak it very well. still kindof do....<g>)

i look forward to seeing some of you again, and meeting the rest of you. gonna be the trip of a lifetime........

david :cool:

Archived