Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

Does anyone have any idea of what type of parties there will be on the ship?

I've never been on a MED. cruise before and I was curious because we'll be touring a different port each day thus we'll all be a little tired.

Do you think they'll still have an underwear party, masquerade ball, retro tea dance,etc?

I will be really surprised if they do not have a toga party...considering Rome. Or they could put a spin on it and do a gladiator party...allowing those into leather and straps etc. let loose.

Considering the port intensity, I dont see many really late nights, or else there will be a lot of dragging bodies on the tours.

Different question...do you think we will get paper tickets from HAL or will it be electronic like the Princess cruise?

Tom,

I would imagine that we will have the online check-in once again. HAL offers it on their website.

If your concern is that it is a non-USA departure, the Atlantis Baltic Cruise that I am sailing in July has been online check in and shore excursion reservations.

Nice to have more and more of the travel industry saving on the unnecessary use of paper.

Has anyone else found information in English regarding the gayvillage event that takes place in Rome each summer. It is a nightly event full of theater, concerts, and dance parties that lasts from late June through early September.

The website is in Italian....perhaps Dave (cruisydave) can take a look at it and give us some assistance:confused: .

www.gayvillage.it

hey christopher,

delighted that you're taking the journey as well.

i took a look at that link. not much to tell. apparantly their gay pride is the 15th and 16th of june. the big day being the saturday (16th).

there is a club mentioned where every friday is "omogenic" night which is simply gay crowd night. there are a few dj competitions (i didn't know dj's competed......<g>). one is specifically for women. it looks like this club costs 5 eu to get in, and most of the stuff happens late. one night starts at 9:30 and the other seems to be 11:30. (PM)

as for us, i'm not sure we need a gay mob scene in rome, to precede 10 days on a completely gay cruise. but we'll see.

i'm trying to figure out how i'll find the strength to see 8 ports in 10 days!!

i'm so excited. and i've been practicing "la lingua italiana, ogni giorno".

ciao bello.........

Remember you are responsible for making sure I get dragged along to eat at the local dining establishments. You can translate the phrases.....how much, where, when, will you respect me.....oh, I mean at the restaurant...what do you recommend. Disregard the other phrases...those are for use on the Spanish Steps.....LOL

I hope we can all spend some time soaking in the local sites, eye candy and exploring. Still have not made a big to do list...but, Sistine Chapel would be nice and forgo all the other St Peters stuff. this recovering Catholicwould get overdosed. Let see, get Alex to the Colosseum...and feed him to the lyons. Get Chris, covered in eyetalians with tight clothes, black curly hair and just a hint of garlic behind the ears.

Me, eye candy, eating, a little window shopping, take in a local grocery store to see the products, have vino at an out door cafe to watch the eye candy....maybe some fountains, and anything older than me to make me feel young again...watch it, I heard that crack. Snap back atcha...

I am sooo ready to get on de plane, de plane. Roma, this one is head'in your way.

Ciao

Spelling..

If I only had a brain...........

Be careful...I'll drop a house on you.......pull your ruby slippers off, put them on Chris and make a wish....I wanna go home, I wanna go home.....with an Italian.

Were off to see the city, the wonderful city of Roma.......forget the wizard....unless he is a sexy Italian......

Lets see, I need a brain, Chris needs courage....what does that leave Alex....LOL

You bring out the evil in me.......wicked witch of the .......West...erdam....gee, thats kind catchy.

Ciao

Just got a notification at work concerning anticpated disruption during transport workers strike in June, July. "Airline and train workers have announced series of strikes starting on 16 June.

Lets hope all is well come the first week of August. Alitalia could be a mess, and trains from the airport or to the port could be a challange.

Hopefully all will be settled before we arrive in Italy.

Chris..will answer your email tonight......I agree, they wont know what to do with us.......but we can use Alex as a decoy...or a sacrifice.....snap snap, snap. Then again I could point to Cruzy Dave and say...thats my papi...go see him, then run like crazy. so bad ,so bad, so bad.

Tom

...are perpetually on strike. That is just one of the joys of visiting Italy. And even during the times that they are not on strike, the traveller's needs should never be considered of utmost importance because the Italian transport workers will not.

Nearly missed a connecting flight in Itlay once because there were 1000 people waiting for the transfer security recheck and they had only one checkpoint open and saw no ned to rush anyone to open another. I managed to make the connection (barely) but I guess the luggage handlers decided to take a long coffee break because I did not get my luggage at my final destination for another 24 hours.

I have plenty of Italian transport nightmare stories. Which is a reason I am considering private transport to the pier.

Hi everyone-

Sorry I've been away for so long -- life has been very hectic. I'm not only behind on cc board, I'm also behind because I never did the hotel/air thing for this trip. Had to get moving and it took me a couple of hours to reread all the posts, make notes on hotels, etc.

So here's where Fred and I stand:

Fly to Rome from NYC on 8/5 via Delta Airlines

Staying at the Radisson SAS near Termini Station from 8/6-8/9. There was a nice deal on another website for this hotel -- looks really interesting and the guidebook we have (Eyewitness) gave it a great rating. We've had ggod experiences with this hotel chain in Europe before.

We'd be happy to hook up with others for sightseeing, dinner, travel to the ship etc. Would like to see as much of Rome as time allows, and I know Fred wants to do the Borghese Gallery.

NYC95 and Glenn/Mike -- Hi! Would like to fill you in @ some point on the Atlantis cruise from March. Had a fabu time -- you guys would like it as well. Bottom line (no pun intended) is that it all comes down to itinerary.

Looking forward to being more active on this board. Need to look at cabin decorations again. I took out the tuxes today - better get them drycleaned!

Joe

Do you think they will have a formal night on this cruise? I do not remember formal nights on the RSVP trips in Europe in the past. With some people traveling light and with baggage limits these days......

Tux or maybe a suit....must admit I enjoyed wearing a suit on the Feb trip, and chose to leave the Tux at home..and the dinner jacket as well.

Must give this some thought.....

SAS hotel near the station...should be right near the Rex where I will be.

Chris...the TA I booked has a block of rooms at the hotel...I think is arranging ground transporation to the ship. I will confirm and if its a bus,,maybe you could join in. If they are not arranging transportation...then I am for hiring a car or van. Will discuss further.

Now I need some advice.... my flight leaves Newark at about 5:30 to 6pm...arrives about 7:45 in the morning. leaving at the hour....and maybe a meal takes me to bed time maybe 10pm.....which means not much time to sleep...and I have trouble sleeping on a plane. How best to get some sleep so Monday is not a crash and burn in Rome......If the hotel room at the hotel is not available till early afternoon...that means no crash time at the hotel to refresh for the evening. So how best to not be wiped out...any suggestions?

Ambien has failed to knock me out on planes in the past....whats a gal to do???????

Tom

...that is the question.

Well having been back and forth over the ocean numrous times in the last 4 years since moving here, you would think I would have solid suggestions.

I find the adjustment tends to be more difficult when going west (that is unkess I have been partying on a gay cruise all week before...so I imagine you wil find the adjustment back to psot crusei life doubly tricky) Anyway, for sure the best thing to do upon arrival on this side of the big pond is to force yourself to stay up until evening bed time. Consider sleeping a minimum if at all on Saturday night...pack your bags, repack your bags, read through the guide books again....your excitement will get you through Sunday and then after dinner and a drink on the plane, pop in the ear plus, don the eye covers and CRASH. You will get some well needed re-energizing sleep. Then you will have bright and cheery me to keep you going on Monday. Forego the pre landing breakfast by asking the flight attendant to let you sleep if you are out and only to wake you for the final approach. The more time spentout doorsin the sun after your flight will help your body to reset it's rhythm.

There are so many theories/suggestions on this topic. Stay hydrated (water), move around a bit, adjust your watch to the new time zone as you board the plane, ben adjusting your sleep patterns to the new time zone by shifting one hour per day starting as many days before departure as time zones you will change (this one never works for travelling to Europe as you should be asleep when you are actually at the airport, duh...)

Anyway, for those of us who enjoy the travel, we mange to get through it somehow. And i'll keep you going, fear not.

If you dont keep me going...I will pull out every one of those hair folicles....but then there wouldn't be anything left for the boys to play with.....

Well Monday after arrival we shall have to find Alex and head out on the streets........

I figure I will wear shorts on the plane just incase I cant check in upon arrival, have to leave the bags and head out to see the sights. Monday....lunch....must be some local pizza!!!! I have to try the non American version......I know I know you want to taste EVERYTHING Italian. Well we shall see who and what you go after....and how successful you are. Be careful, Alex will give you some competition.....I will be along as the tie breaker. LOL

Is it August yet?

Good point on shifting hours...I have my internal clock reset so far to wake at 5 am east coast time....hope to nudge it a bit more by time I fly out.

And who is this person in Roma you are staying with....you have been holding out......oh the shame.

Aunt Bertha

If you read the RSVP website as to what to wear on this cruise, you will find: "During informal nights, jacket (tie optional) [is] considered standard.

On ...formal evenings... tuxedos... or gowns are suggested. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

I'm guessing that the dress code is because we will all be aboard HAL. And that is fine with us. There are plenty of threads here discussing just what constitutes formal and what does not.

As for me, I'm just glad to know that I can bring along a couple of my very best gowns!!!

Basic little black dress......clutch purse, and killer high heels baby. Wear that and the drinks are on me.......snap snap snap.

Three days in Rome followed by this cruise.......I'll be over the weight limit on the plane......maybe if I take no socks, no underwear.....that leaves beach wear, morning wear ,afternoon post tour wear, evening wear......to much clothing........

I guess its time to go to home depot and buy wheels for the steamer trunks....

I was reading on the Holland America website about doing the online pre-registration. They mention doing it at least 30 days in advance.

If anyone knows anything about the document status, please post. We have to have that booking number to check the excursions also.

Our travel agent is in Hawaii and usually gets us the numbers via email as soon as possible that we may get this taken care of.

If anyone knows anything about the document status, please post. We have to have that booking number to check the excursions also.

Our travel agent asked RSVP, who told him that we should get our booking number and be able to book excursions by the end of June. Hope they are right.

I know that my Verizon tri-band phone will not work in Italy. Neither does my partners, but we are taking my company's international cell phone so we have one that works everywhere this trip is taking us.

:confused: If you have a tri-band phone, it SHOULD work in Europe. usa works on 1900 band. Europe on 900 and 1800. (If my numbers are right!) Tri-band means the 2 European networks and the u.s. network. But ask verizone.

Someone else asked about this. If you have a t-mobile phone, you can work it out with them, as they are the only u.s. carrier that uses the European GSM network. But you have to ask them to unlock your service to do so. Rule: if your phone has a removable chip inside, you have a chance. You can always buy a cheap phone in Italy to work with your chip.

Tips and tricks from a European couple:

:mad: tipping: round up, never over 5%. Service of at least 10% is always built in (and not separated out like you see in usa). Make sure your taxi-driver will use a meter, or ask the fare in advance.

In Italy the national language is NOT English. Outside very turisty places, few speak English ... or care to. Menus are likely to be only in Italian. Options? Buy a good phrase book (you can always point to something in the book) and a menu-reader. When I go through my books I will recommend something (I speak Italian).

Pick pockets: when you get off the train they will swarm you like flies. Mostly gypsy children. Dirty and pathetic. Rather than sympathy, you must aggressively shout at them to leave you alone. If you see police, call them: "polizia" /poolitsee'aa/. And, of course, NEVER carry your wallet in a back pocket. Inside pockets are best (reason to wear a jacket).:cool:

:eek: The train from the airport, last I took it does NOT go to the train station (Termini), but you must transfer to a subway at a juncture station. Reason? Corruption. Someone got paid off. This is the only major European city I've been in where you cannot go from the airport to the train station on one line.:mad: But it is fairly clear. Just follow the herds! Those of you with steamer trunks will need to bring your slaves along, or buy some at the airport.

More tips as I work my way through.

Thank you for the information on the train into the city.

No sleep, dragging bags....does not make me a happy camper to face gypsy children.

I may have to rethink a reserved car. Considering what the entire trip is costing. the extra for a car might pay to start the trip off on a good note.

Now if it could be arranged for a real "nice" driver.......how do you say ooo la la in Italian....

If you read the RSVP website as to what to wear on this cruise, you will find: "During informal nights, jacket (tie optional) [is] considered standard.

On ...formal evenings... tuxedos... or gowns are suggested. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

I'm guessing that the dress code is because we will all be aboard HAL. And that is fine with us. There are plenty of threads here discussing just what constitutes formal and what does not.

As for me, I'm just glad to know that I can bring along a couple of my very best gowns!!!

Who is HAL? :confused:

Last November we went on a Trans-Atlantic cruise that had a few formal nights. Not being a formal type (when I put on "shoes", he calls them "dressy sneakers"), :o I went out and bought a jacket and dress pants (after extensive negotiations). I wore the jacket, dress pants and an oh-so-special tie to the formal nights. :cool: It was o.k.

Some of the dinners at our table chose to eat in the buffet those nights rather than do any dressing up. :rolleyes:

There is more flexibility than appears. Though I think they draw the line at slippers and shorts. :eek:

Did you receive this email today? Do we get a reduced price now???

Take advantage of RSVP Vacations' exclusive offer on our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise this August

Save up to $2,000 on select staterooms for a limited time only!

Act now and get...

...$2,000 off select suites1 and

...$1,500 off select balcony cabins2

Select ocean view cabins for only...

...$1,499 per person on select ocean view cabins3.

Select inside cabins for only...

...$999 per person on select inside cabins3.

Offer expires June 30!

I'm interested in the tour that goes to the ruins of,Pompeii.

I just saw a travel show that spotlighted,Venice. The advice of the host was to stay away from the tourist sites, ie: San Marco Square, and travel the backroads,so to speak. Good advice but I'd still like to see,San Marco Square. I really would like to bring home a actual Venecian mask, you know ,tha kind they wear during Mardi Gras.

The host of the show also warned the audience about the price gouging that takes place around the tourist attractions, so beware.

You have to see San Marco Square! Just beware if you have a drink outside one of the establishemnets - they charge for the music. Quite a bit of gouging going on.

I was in Venice in 1984 for a couple of days, loved it. But oh, how we got lost. Every night getting back to the hotel was an adventure. You'd walk and walk and realize that you are back to where you were 20 minutes earlier.

Now the latest discounts from RSVP has started Richard and I thinking..... Hmmm. Reunion time?

Archived