Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

The ship's dress code for their dining room, not mine.

Frankly, I don't think there is anything better looking than a man in a tux. Unless, of course, it is a man out of ... oh, never mind.

Larry Tex: Being that RSVP is discounting cabins, perhaps those of us who have already booked will receive an upgrade? We can only hope. I will have to ask our TA about that.

Malmo...HAL stands for Holland America Line

Boytje...come on you know you want it you know you want it bad...come on....give it to daddy....your hubby will luv ya for it.

Alex.....as far as price gouging...just barter....a mask for......wink wink.

Christo furr......you will have to protect Alex.

Lets see.....air, check, hotel, check, plans for Rome, check, transfer to hotel up in the air.

Rome...Tuesday morning...tour Vatican (may use tour gay guide found on web). The ancient Rome Coloseum in afternoon.....Alex will write to you this weekend about Rome.

Tuesday night...gay restaurant.

Is everyone getting excited or are we all a bunch of over traveled been there done that people........lets see some excitemment....

And Boytje......book already...I need more eye candy on the ship.

Come on guys. Book it. Get over here. Sure there's the flights to budget too, but come on. You only live once.

I checked airfares last night and it costs more than an inside cabin! 9 hours more expensive than 10 days?

Can we have an all-gay cruise (other than the recent QM2 TA) that leaves from New York sometime? Oh to just be only a cab ride away.

Boytje...come on you know you want it you know you want it bad...come on....give it to daddy....your hubby will luv ya for it.

And Boytje......book already...I need more eye candy on the ship.

And once again it's all about YOU. :D

I asked RSVP two questions. The reply follows my questions:

We have a couple questions:

1. Is there another site that RSVP Mediterranean guests are communicating with other?

2. Will the Westerdam have tuxedos for rent? It does not give this info on their web page.

There is an unofficial, unsanctioned site which was set up by some frequent travelers with RSVP at www.rsvpcruisers.com. I just checked the site and there are a few postings from Mediterranean Cruise guests. RSVP does not have an official chat room or site for cruise guests.

You will be able to rent tuxedos from Holland America for $75-$115 prior to the cruise once you have received your HAL booking numbers. You will receive those booking numbers from us in about one week. If you have any other questions please let me know.

All the best,

Jeff Gundvaldson

Reservations Manager

RSVP Vacations, a PlanetOut Inc. Company

2535 25th Avenue South

Minneapolis, MN 55406

tel: +1.800.328.7787 local +1.612.729.1113

fax: +1.612.729.2809

e-mail: jeff.gundvaldson@planetoutinc.com

i wrote a long post the other day, and it ended up in cyberspace.....this board can be a bit hostile..

here's what we're up to......

we're traveling light......really light......

we live in fort lauderdale, so the cruises from here are complete with steamer trunks....the car to the ship.....done.......

but to get stuff from here to civitavecchia is a different story.

we're not checking any luggage.....each taking a rollalong and a shoulder bag. all in the cabin with us. we're going through paris, and they are notorious for losing luggage. i asked HAL and they said they'll wash and dry and fold a big bag of clothes for like 12 bucks. dry clean shirts and slacks for around 5 bucks. so we're using that service. very light on costumes, (ok, maybe for a underwear thing, or p.j. thing) but no cowboy boots, gladiator drag, etc......and certainly no tuxes. too much to schlep.

we've been on several cruises, and on tux nights, simply dressing nicely is enough. don't even need a sports jacket. an elegant shirt and slacks will do it. HAL is really cool about that. and i wind up taking off my jacket before the soup arrives anyway.........LOL

we're taking the train from the airport to the stazione termini. (cabs in italy are hideously expensive....i'd rather spend that money on excursions)...and also the train from termini to civitavecchia....12 euros or something....then a cab to the port. (short ride) i love trains in europe anyway....<g>....we're arriving on the 6th and staying at the hotel rex for 3 days til the cruise.

still checking out excursions in each port. there is so much to see.......

volcanoes, ruins, lost civilizations, cathedrals, art, architecture, and of course, all those italian MEN!!!.....(actually i'm married to one.......hmmm...something in the pasta.............LOL)

geez, i love europe......6 weeks til we board the plane.......

i'm very excited.......

david

we're traveling light......really light......

we live in fort lauderdale, so the cruises from here are complete with steamer trunks....the car to the ship.....done.......

but to get stuff from here to civitavecchia is a different story.

we're not checking any luggage.....each taking a rollalong and a shoulder bag. all in the cabin with us. we're going through paris, and they are notorious for losing luggage. i asked HAL and they said they'll wash and dry and fold a big bag of clothes for like 12 bucks. dry clean shirts and slacks for around 5 bucks. so we're using that service. very light on costumes, (ok, maybe for a underwear thing, or p.j. thing) but no cowboy boots, gladiator drag, etc......and certainly no tuxes. too much to schlep.

we've been on several cruises, and on tux nights, simply dressing nicely is enough. don't even need a sports jacket. an elegant shirt and slacks will do it. HAL is really cool about that. and i wind up taking off my jacket before the soup arrives anyway.........LOL

we're taking the train from the airport to the stazione termini. (cabs in italy are hideously expensive....i'd rather spend that money on excursions)...and also the train from termini to civitavecchia....12 euros or something....then a cab to the port. (short ride) i love trains in europe anyway....<g>....we're arriving on the 6th and staying at the hotel rex for 3 days til the cruise.

i'm very excited.......

david

I have to agree completely. Although you travelling across the Atlantic "internationally" have a much more generous luggage allowance than we, one can't possibly take everything on the trip. And then one must transport all that luggage.

We get only about 20 kiloes. (~20 ounces:eek: ), and we must think about any purchases that we will take home. The airlines are ruthless about luggage, as they can rape you for higher fees on the spot, when you have NO options!:mad:

We will take a jacket & tie and then "accessorize:rolleyes: " our evenings. This has worked in recent cruises.

Remember that catholic churches will NOT let you in in shorts and possible not in sleeveless shirts. My experience is that shorts that cover the knees (the parts that seem to offend their god) have been acceptable. Alternatively, a weightless, sythetic piece of fabric that you can wrap around your waist (to hide those nasty knees) passes muster (of the church police, if not the fashion police!:p ).

Think about carrying on luggage which may contain dangerous items such as nail files, lubricants, etc. I recommend checking in, as long as you have at least one overnight. (Everytime our luggages has gone missing, it has turned up the next day, usually significantly lighter!:mad: )

I also agree that taking taxis is likely to result in being ripped off big time. The airports are getting better about providing information on transport into the centres, and you can research it on line as well.

We will also train it from Roma to Civitavecchia.

Lastly, I can't find the link to the excursions. Can anyone put it here?

Check out the better site: www.rsvp.net/gay-lesbian-vacations-cruise-6.htm

Luggage...need at least one bag for my hair care products...look at my photo on my profile...you think that head just comes that way.....hours baby hours in front of the mirror....tweasers, hair gel, curling wand....ooops, thats the other wand thank you. LOL

One big suit case ,one medium. Will take a suit and forgo the Tux....the trousers can be used a second evening.

Getting to the hotel Rex...may take a car service...59 Euros......gay owned business with English speaking driver. As my flight gets in about 7:30 am, thats like 2 or 3 in the morning east coast time.....the thought of having a sexy eyetalian waiting for me with my name on his card....sounds like a delicious way to start my "Roman Holiday". Remember the movie of the same name, with Audrey Hepburn.......gee, I am way gay today.....butch it up butch it up...where did I put those tongue depressers for the wrists......snap snap snap.

sexy Davy...what time will you and eyetalian husband fly in? Pehaps we can hit the town Monday afternoon to walk around and take in the fountains, and men, some pizza and men, some window shopping and men. Good thing eye candy especially eyetalian eye candy isn't fattening ofrI would have a serious weight gain on this trip.

Getting to the port...travel agency I booked through has a transfer from the Hotel Rex to the ship....$50 USD. I'm taking it....bus load of gay men heading to the ship...what fun! Maybe a little vino to get into the mood...they drink vino after 9 am inRome dont they...or I can just gargle with it. Can you tell I am excited about the trip. After this many cruises I still get like a little kid on Christmas Eve.

Now if I could get Christofurrrrr and Alex (Mr. "C") just a weeeeee bit excited. But you know how those celebrities are......LOL

Not to worry Tom. I am really excited about this trip as well. Just having to plod through the last week of school first and then the summer will officially begin for me on the 30th. Then I will be giddy with the excitement.

I have purchased a guidebook for Rome called Top Ten Rome that is a great set of lists of Top 10's like, sights, restaurants, foods to try, etc, etc. So that is helping get the excitement juices flowing.

I have a full month of travel ahead of me in July that is drawing a little more of my focus right now as well. Too much of a good thing ahead of me I guess.

As for the packing, since I am taking the train I will be able to drag a bit more with me with out the worries of being hit with overweight luggage fees at the airport. I have a couple piars of boots that I eed to get a little more mileage out of. ;)

I will take less for my July cruise as I have 10 days of travel prior to and another week after that sailing and don't want to drag it around all of Scandinavia. I wil do my best to keep up with what is going on here on the boards during that time.

I am willing to compile the Cruise Critic directory for this trip like those of us on the February Caribbean trip had. If any of you want to be included, send an email with the following to rsvpmedcruise@yahoo.com

1. Your first name (and the first name of your travel companion if any)
  2. Cruise Critic account name
  3. email address you want others to have to contact you after the cruise
  4. Deck and Can number
  5. Optional: A picture so we can identify you on board.
  6. Optional: Pre-cruise details including arrival date and hotel where you are staying in Rome

I will set a deadline of August 1 for submissions so that I can try to send it out by the 3rd as it appears many are heading out around the 5th. We can also include info on gatherings that we may decide to plan. For example the Tueday night pre-cruise dinner, sail away cocktails, or any other ideas you guys (are there any gals lurking out there for this trip?) come up with.

Ok so maybe my excitement is growing faster than I realized.

While traveling, you should hit Amsterdam and buy trinkets or fabulous apparel to wear on the Westerdam......you know, the kind of clothing that sets the mood wink wink wink.

Boots to break in....is the Atlantis cruise going all leather up there in the baltic? You could make a statement, and pack a diving wet suit......you could be a trend setter.

be ready Monday August 6th...afternoon we start walking Rome...maybe Cruzy dave will be our translator and keep us out of jail. But then from what I remember the Policia in Roma are fab-u-lous. Da vapors da vapors......quick, a piece of chocolate to calm my nerves.

And yes we will find you a nice big canoli, we know how you love anatomically correct food.....LOL.

about the bus to the port.....

our t.a. offered that same deal (same t.a.?) from the rex....but at 50 usd each for 2 of us that's 100 usd. on the train the total is 27 dollars for the 2 of us......big difference.....and the trains are SO cruisy......<g>

we arrive in rome at noon on mon, the 6th. from there to the hotel, who knows? probably gonna be tired, although huzbear will sleep on the plane for sure.......i'll try......but either way, gonna plow through mon til i can't go anymore, then crash. i'm thinking by tues morning we're fresh again. then we'll have all day tues and wed for roma!! having a devil of a time contemplating all that olive oil..........<g>

then early-ish to the port thurs....in time to board and begin.....

d

about the bus to the port.....

our t.a. offered that same deal (same t.a.?) from the rex....but at 50 usd each for 2 of us that's 100 usd. on the train the total is 27 dollars for the 2 of us......big difference.....and the trains are SO cruisy......<g>

we arrive in rome at noon on mon, the 6th. from there to the hotel, who knows? probably gonna be tired, although huzbear will sleep on the plane for sure.......i'll try......but either way, gonna plow through mon til i can't go anymore, then crash. i'm thinking by tues morning we're fresh again. then we'll have all day tues and wed for roma!! having a devil of a time contemplating all that olive oil..........<g>

then early-ish to the port thurs....in time to board and begin.....

d

Enjoy guys, My Partner and i just came off the westerdam, a truly great ship.

Hej!

Can you answer some questions on the rooms?

Which cabin were you in?

Were the electrical outlets american or European or a mixture?

Were the tv:s flat screen?

Dvd player or vcr?

Was the ship just refurbished?

Read about the wireless possibilities around the ship, but was there internet access in the cabin? And was it a limited offering?

You can also e-mail me:

look in the profile.

Thanks!

still checking out excursions in each port. there is so much to see.......

volcanoes, ruins, lost civilizations, cathedrals, art, architecture, and of course, all those

i'm very excited.......

david

Hej, Dave,

Do you have a link to the excursions:confused: ? We're trying to examine them, and the ports don't exactly match up to the usual Westerdam cruise.

We have been to almost all of these stops except Dubrovnik, and in the city of Naples itself.

La Valletta :cool: is so spectacular that they use a picture of cruise ship leaving port as their thumbnail picture for this cruise. :D

Enjoy guys, My Partner and i just came off the westerdam, a truly great ship.

Hej!

Can you answer some questions on the rooms?

Which cabin were you in?

Were the electrical outlets american or European or a mixture?

Were the tv:s flat screen?

Dvd player or vcr?

Was the ship just refurbished?

Read about the wireless possibilities around the ship, but was there internet access in the cabin? And was it a limited offering?

You can also e-mail me:

look in the profile.

Thanks!

no, i don't have any links, and yes, the itinerary does not exactly match up. what i've been doing is cruising the internet looking for excursions in the towns we'll hit. lots of choices. google "a day in naples" or "a day in corfu". stuff comes up. gives you ideas.

d

Here is the link to the ebrohure for Holland America Western Med Shore excursions. https://www.hollandamerica.com/HALWShorex/pdf/2007WestMed.pdf

The only port that we will visit that does not appear to be in the brochure is Salerno.

This will give you an idea of the things that may be on offer for our trip.

Enjoy!

no, i don't have any links, and yes, the itinerary does not exactly match up. what i've been doing is cruising the internet looking for excursions in the towns we'll hit. lots of choices. google "a day in naples" or "a day in corfu". stuff comes up. gives you ideas.

d

Thanx. I thought you had a list of the excursions. Strange that these are so secret, only on the RSVP cruise.:confused:

I know these places well, (except Dubrovnik). We travel prepared for the stops. We don't often take excursions, but they can be informative.

We found this cruise Friday of last week on a gay site, offered for a "deal":D by a local gay travel agent. By Thursday night - just before the big holiday, when everything shut down - we booked it. Now to attend to the details.

P' & S

Bona cera......

Must be having a bad hair day or something.....

Rome airport into the city. I had convinced myself to take the train since the Hotel Rex is a few blocks from Termini station. Seemed perfect. Then I read on Cruise Critic about having to change trains and deal with pick pockets and gypsy children and calling for Policia after flying all night without sleep.

But I went back and looked at the web site Mark had posted on a previous page ...and found non stop rail service on the Leonardo Express. Interior photo of the carriage showed adequate space for luggage.

So can someone tell me if there is actually non stop service? If so, I'd be crazy to use a car service when I can board the train at the airport. I'm a big boy.....and can handle any situation except a bad hair day. And to think I shaved my head this morning.....must be a bad scalp day LOL

By the way, the money I would save would buy a welcome to Rome drink for Alex, Christopher, Cruzy Dave and his eyetalian husband. Seems like a better way to spend my lira, drachmas, deutschmarks, pesos...I mean euros.

Ciao for now.

Thanx. I thought you had a list of the excursions. Strange that these are so secret, only on the RSVP cruise.:confused:

I know these places well, (except Dubrovnik). We travel prepared for the stops. We don't often take excursions, but they can be informative.

We found this cruise Friday of last week on a gay site, offered for a "deal":D by a local gay travel agent. By Thursday night - just before the big holiday, when everything shut down - we booked it. Now to attend to the details.

P' & S

Malmo (P and S) I hope that you had a great Midsummer celebration. Glad you got booked before all of Sweden shut down for the celebrating.

I will be in Copenhagen from 10 to 14 July and hope to make it across the bridge to Malmo. Any suggestion for a nice cafe to grab bite to eat or any must see locations in your city. I appreciate any suggestions.

Malmo (P and S) I hope that you had a great Midsummer celebration. Glad you got booked before all of Sweden shut down for the celebrating.

I will be in Copenhagen from 10 to 14 July and hope to make it across the bridge to Malmo. Any suggestion for a nice cafe to grab bite to eat or any must see locations in your city. I appreciate any suggestions.

Actually, I was thinking about asking if your "Baltic Cruise" stopped in Copenhagen. If you haven't been before, I can advise you of what to see. And if any of the excursions are worth it. (Hint: FORGET the mermaid!:eek: )

I can certainly advise on Malmö (the biggest city you NEVER heard of!:o ) and Copenhagen, but this is not the appropriate site. Feel free to e-mail me, and I will reply with contact info. & etc. (Look in the contact info.)

The weather was sunny and HOT (up to 31°!) before the solstice, then cold and rain. But the sun came back, and it's very bright! Sunglasses and eyeshades recommended:cool: ! Still, with 17½ hours of light, one can't complain!:D

Philipp'

rms,

sorry about that....haven't quite got the "quote" thing down pat, yet.....

i hear both versions as well, but i think the train might be direct. but even if it is not, it is well marked and a kind of "follow the crowd" thing to the transfer, so i hear.

for the record, and i'm not being a bitch, i swear......it's "buona sera"..<G>

we don't want to be ugly americans......we leave that to the Bush crime family..........<g>

that's why we're travelling so light. because we're going to use the trains not cabs. i'd rather spend my lire (euros now) on food and drink and entertainment.

malmo:.....

the outlets were american. i had my alarm clock and was able to plug it in. there was regular tv. not plasma or anything fancy like that. but there ain't much on anyway.....<g>.....there was no dvd player or vcr. we brought our little travel dvd (for porn....<g>)......came in handy........

and i don't know if the ship has been refurbished. might tell on the website.....btw, where is malmo?

d

Archived