Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

Hey Tom! Count me in for the dinner before the cruise.

I am so ready!!

Tom noted to me, the Rex Hotel is where he is staying in Rome and I did some reserch.

I agreed --the location is great and I am able to get a rate of 95 Euros ($127.00) per night including taxes and breakfast.

Also there will be an arranged transfer to the ship for $50.00 pp and back to Rome (post cruise) for $50.00 pp.

Total $100.00 both ways.

If interested in the hotel or transfers please contact me at;

argenti722@aol.com

I am also looking into some day tours if anybody is interested to go .

I will be arriving to Rome Aug 7th and staying after the cruise 19th to 23rd.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Mark

Fort Lauderdale

I am currently gathering info on tours and maps etc for Rome. I will pass on all info for your review. Yes dinner on Tuesday night......I am excited about that for sure. The response I got from the restaurant made it all more exciting.

I get into Rome Monday morning...flight departs Newark about 6pm on Sunday which means getting into Rome middle of the night east coast time. I dont expect much sleep on the plane....so what shape I will be in on Monday is questionable. But I do not want to waste time in the eternal city. Touring Monday night is a definite, but Monday afternoon is a big question.

As for Tuesday.....I am thinking a ST Peters tour in the early morning, then ancient Rome (Coloseum) afternoon. Alex...yes you are going to the Coloseum......hopefully we can find a way to have you fed to the locals (lions) are no longer available.I am trying to find either a gay guide or gay friendly tour outfit to make sure no time is wasted. Tuesday evening at the restaurant...and maybe a few gay night spots. Wed would be yet another day for interesting tours and maybe a evening tour of night life...but not too late for Thursday its off to the ship.

Anyone else have ideas for the best way to use a Rome stay?

As for the dungeon and demons tour.....I'm looking into that to see if its worth it.

By the way....one of the barbers I know here is from Gaeta south of Rome. I asked him about attire in Rome in the evening. He said people dress nice to go out at night...no so much jeans and sneakers.....no coat and ties but nice pants and a nice shirt.....I was interested in what to wer to go out to eat. Seems being elegante is the norm......but then MArk always looks elegante.

Ciao for now.

Surely there are some others besides me and NYC95 sailing out of Rome on the Westerdam.....

Really excited about seeing Venice.......maybe find someone to take a ride in a Gondola.......wink wink wink.

Heres hoping this will be a cruise to remember!

I'll be sailing on the Westerdam and maybe we could hook up for that gondlola ride in Venice?

venice is actually an overnight port stop. we dock in the afternoon, and don't leave until the following afternoon. so it's just possible to see some nightlife.....i.e. dinner perhaps, and some clubs.....or maybe an opera if it's in season.....or something.....anybody have any ideas?

i've never been to venice, so a gondola ride is definitely in order. as is

saint mark's cathedral, the doge palace and a few other highlights. i can't wait!!

david

Sorry to report guys .....Gay life in Venice is virtually nonexistant. There is one gay club but it is over on the mainland part of Venice (called Mestre) which is a train ride away from the island of central Venice.

I sailed on a cruise out of Venice last October and was surprised at how tricky it was to travel between the ships docking point and the rest of Venice. Granted there was some canal construction going on when I was there but still it can be quite confusing. Piazzale Roma is a transition point between town and port where often there are buses to transport to the ship. During some parts of the day there are direct canal transports from Port to San Marco Square. take a look at http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-marittima.htm BUT really be aware upon deparking the ship in determining the hours that transport links will run because canal taxis are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise please know that Venice is an awesome city to visit, take an extra pair of shoes!!!! If I do not make it on board (saving my pennies) I hope to meet up in Rom and again in Venice with those of you I

know and others.

Just my 2 centimes (and yes the Euro does come in 2 centime coins)

Christopher

Hey, Booked this cruise, but just found Cruise Critic. My name is Keith, and I'll be traveling with my good friend Larry. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but wanted to post hello to you guys. Really looking forward to this trip.

Keith

Hi Everyone, Have been tying to get on this board but also seems to have problems, Congraduations on your anniversity. We will also be celebrating our aniversity. Labor 50 years. Now staights top that. Have been on many RSVP cruises but not recently. Have also been to Italy 3 times. Spent a week in both Venice and Naples but do not know Rome.

Will spend a week in Rome before cruise. Maybe we can meet on the Ship and have a drink together.

D & G

50 years?!? That's awesome. It's nice to have you aboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the RSVP web site...it looks like the ship is fairly well booked, although I doubt that RSVP is updating the data.

I have been told by a few people that early August is summer vacation time in Italy.....and things a somewhat quiet....for those that know this city.....is it less hectic?

I found a web site for a gay tour guide (licensed) and will be contacting him to see whehter it pays to use a tour guide or venture around town map in hand.

Anyone else out there planning their precruise stay in Rome.

I get in Monday morning and if I live through the evening flight, may venture around town right away after checking into the hotel. Tuesday morning...its off to the Vatican.....robes, jewels, art work...and paintings on the ceiling...just what this recovering Catholic needs to see. Afternoon maybe ancient Rome.Tuesday evening will be at the gay restaurant and this month I will be asking those interested to provide their names....that way I can communicate with the restuarant.

Wednesday the dungeon tour others posted about.

Any experts on this town...please provide guidance, insight and do's and don'ts.

NYC95 Alex......are you still making the trip?

vparkguy...Mark, are you getting excited?

I'm still trying to lose more weight so I can eat all that Italian food. Cant wait to eat in Rome......where the locals eat......real Italian.

Very excited about this trip.....then there is Venice.........and finally to hit the famous Harry's Bar......and a Bellini...YUM YUM YUM.

innocent shy me? All talk no action me.......I will just look, linger, lust, languish in the corner.

Its May!!!!!!!! Cant wait. Make sure you get your walking legs ready...this trip will be a lot of walking.

I have no intention of wasting a minute......tours, shops, sights and sounds of everything and everybody.......so get ready....you are getting dragged along to experience all there is to see and do. No rest unless you hook up witha local...then you are on your own. Just report back with ALL the details.

a few notes,

we have friends that travel to italy a LOT....they said august is vacation month all over europe, so a lot of the little towns are sleepy and quiet. but the big cities are slamming!!! all those europeans on vacation and they all go to italy. i hear the villa borghese gallery (if you're an art buff) is not to be missed, but you must have reserved tickets. you can reserve them online.

we're arriving early on monday the 6th as well. spending 3 days in rome before the cruise. we're staying at the REX hotel on via torino. very central and not too expensive. we plan on doing a lot of walking. there's so much to see. and we have a few recommendations on restaurants from a friend who lives in rome, that happen to be very close to our hotel. so that makes it pretty easy. (not touisty places, but where the locals eat).

i'm actually thinking about taking up caffeine again (gave it up 15 yrs ago), just so i can enjoy the espresso and capuccino delicacies in italy.

i'll bet a buck you can't find a decaf!!!........LOL

rms, we met on the last cruise. we'll see you in rome!!! where are you staying for the 3 days before the cruise?

david

Guess what...I am suppose to be at the Rex as well. I requested to be included in the block space the TA has reserved....... agency is in Houston....wont mention their name per the rules of the board....but Kim and BJ are handling the reservation.

Please plan on dinner on Tuesday evening at the gay restaurant...

As for walking around.....I'm red ta go as they say.

Next Monday night on I believe its the History channel there is a TV show on the hidden areas below the streets of Rome...intend to watch this show to get an idea of whether a tour below is worth it.

Let me know if you are up for a seek and destroy walk as soon as you get there on Monday....regardless of how burned out I am......its drop the bags, take a quick shower...get some lunch at a local no tourist place and then off and running. How late I will last Monday night is the big question...did someone say caffeine?

Tom

dinner at the gay restaurant sounds fabulous...but......

and it's a pretty big but........

if we gather 50 or 100 people and descend on this little italian restaurant at once, we will surely overtax their resources, and more than likely not get the best job from their wait staff and kitchen staff. i've been in the restaurant business for 25 years, and it never fails......the best restaurant becomes mediocre when they are mobbed by huge parties. so for now, count me in, but if the number gets too big, i'll probably want to meet up with you after dinner......<G>

just my thoughts.....<g>

david

• 2 weeks later...

John and Robert in Atlanta,

Are you guys aboard Delta out of ATL to Rome on Sunday? Our friends are too. The four of us are also staying at the Cavaleri Hilton. Any interest in sharing the cost of a van for the six of us from the airport to the hotel and from the Hilton to the ship on Thursday? If so, please email me at jbslater@mindspring.com. Thanks.

FYI

Pre/Post Trip Packages in Rome

We are taking advantage of this hotel offer, it will save us some money, because we were looking at an expensive hotel in the same area, as well as an expensive private tour plus the cost us getting to the port. Now the only extra expense will be getting from the airport to the hotel. We asked our travel agents to set up a meet & greet at the airport for us. I am thinking that if we share the ride we can save here too. So if anybody will be on USAir flight 718 arriving in Rome on Aug 8 at 8:40AM want to share the ride to Hotel Cicerone, let me know, maybe we can get a large vehicle to transport a bunch of us.

Glenn

Continental Airlines

Sun, 05AUG07 depart NEWARK 5:25PM arrive ROME (FCO) 7:45AM

Hotel: Rex Hotel

Price was half of what the RSVP hotel wanted......The money saved will pay for a lot of tours and meals in Rome.

Trying to decide if I am willing to use the train into Rome from the airport...the Rex is walking distance from the train station. I also found a gay car service...price wasn't bad...so it will depend on how adventurous I am....and how difficut dragging bags onto a train is.....

Providing I get some shut eye on the plane...hope to hit the streets after checking into the hotel.....

who else will be getting into Rome Monday?

Anyone on my flight?

Tom

Archived