Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

I'll be getting into,Rome, around noon on, Monday, Tom. Let's meet up and do up ,Rome, right.

My email address is in the catalogue that was printed up by Rick for the Caribbean cruise.

Anyone care to join us. Let's see if we can get a group going.

John and Robert in Atlanta,

Are you guys aboard Delta out of ATL to Rome on Sunday? Our friends are too. The four of us are also staying at the Cavaleri Hilton. Any interest in sharing the cost of a van for the six of us from the airport to the hotel and from the Hilton to the ship on Thursday? If so, please email me at jbslater@mindspring.com. Thanks.

Yes, we are on Delta out of ATL direct to Rome (Business Class thanks to my Delta points). We'll email you.

Hi Everyone,

I will be joining this fun group also. Traveling by myself and have requested the "cabin share" option.

Looks like the train may be the best idea way to go from the airport to the ship. Let me know if this is a bad idea.

See you soon,

Larry

I can't say whether or not taking the train from the airport is either a good or bad idea, just me mindful of pckpockets. They work the train stations in groups and unsuspecting tourists are their bread and butter.

I hope I'm not sounding paranoid because ,Rome ,ilooks like a fantastic place to visit and it should be enjoyed to the fullest exent.

As for me, I plan to take a car service into ,Rome. Manuvering my way through

the crowds of a buzy train terminal that I am unfamiliar with does not sound like how I would like to begin my vacation. A car from the airport seems less stressfiul.

I can't say whether or not taking the train from the airport is either a good or bad idea, just me mindful of pckpockets. They work the train stations in groups and unsuspecting tourists are their bread and butter.

I hope I'm not sounding paranoid because ,Rome ,ilooks like a fantastic place to visit and it should be enjoyed to the fullest exent.

I purchased my money belt already! Yes, be mindful of the pickpockets like you would in any larger city. From what I have heard, the good news is that they aren't violent (no guns!) unlike American cities. I would be much more afraid to travel to an American city than a European one. That is a really sad statement to have to make....

Steve & Jack

Yesterday I received an email from a travel company offereing $1000 off on the inside, outside and junior suite cabins for the Medand Alaska cruises.

Did anyone else get a similar offer?

This ticks me off because if RSVP is offering discounts for new passengers,

what are they going to do for the rest of us who paid full price?

What is the accepted policy on tipping?

Car Service from the airport...or cab in town?

Restaurants?

Bars?

I want to make sure I do not come accross as the rude/ ignorant tourist during my precruise stay or during any shore excursions on the cruise.

Hope everyone is starting to get excited as I am. hey Alex and mark...get excited already!

Another question concerning train service into Rome from the airport should I forgo a car service...

Is the train an express with a few stops or many? Is it difficult to bring aboard a large suitcase and a carry on? Where in the passenger car do you place your luggage? I must admit I would like to take an Italian train over a car....more to experience that way. You think I have way too much luggage for a two week trip.......gals gotta do what a gals gotta do LOL

Thanks

Tom

Hi Everyone!

It has been many years since my last visit to Europe, so I bought several Italy/Europe DVDs on Amazon.com to learn what I would see on our trip.

Most of the DVDs were under $8 with $3 shipping.

Larry in Houston, Texas

Hey Guys!!!

Hope everyones weekend was GREAT.

I am doing some research on Rome and the excursions for the Ports we will visit.

I am attaching links for the excursions on Holland America.

Also plan on taking the Grey Line tour bus around Rome. I did this in a lot of other European cities and it is fantastic.

You pay one price for the day and pick the bus route you want to go on. You can get on and off all day long and saves walking time to all the must see places.

I am enclosing the link.

I used this similiar bus in London and St Petersburg, Russia--it was great.

Here are the links:

Rome sightseeing tours - Rome tours and packages

Holland America ports we are visiting:

Itineraries Holland America Line

https://www.hollandamerica.com/HALWShorex/pdf/2007WestMed.pdf

Now for the arrival and transfer to the Hotel Rex from the Airport.

I have been told by many that it is a very simple and VERY inexpensive around US $15.00 trip by train.

Auto will be much, much more-

I happen to cose the Rex Hotel because of Tom's suggestion and it is in a central location.

It is also steps from the train terminal.

I went on to see the schedule for the train from the airport to Rome and here is what they wrote:

The fleet: Specifications and pictures

The timetable has departures every 30 minutes with a journey time of 31 minutes

from Roma Termini at :22 and :52 past the hour

first departure is at 05:52; last journey is at 22:52

orologio1.gif

from Fiumicino Airport at :05 and :35 past the hour

with first departure at 06:35 and last journey at 23:35

orologio2.gif

The ticket price is 9.50 euro. You can also buy a booklet of 7 for the special price of 60 euro. Children under 12 travel free if accompanied by an adult. Children who travel alone pay the normal price.

Starting 10 December the Leonardo Express connection is even more convenient!

At Roma Termini all trains will arrive and depart from platform 24, in the main area of the station - so close to the taxis, subway and other services.

This is a car service from the Airport to the Hotel,(looks like around $60.00 one way===45 Euros):

spacer.gif

Rome Airport transfer fare detailsspacer.gifOur Rome transfers use luxury limousine cars, van, minibus and bus coach travel up to 56 seats. The given fare is per vehicle and not per person. The transfers shown are from both Rome Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci and Ciampino Airports to the central Rome Hotels or to Civitavecchia harbour. All services provided are private trasfers. The car is not shared with other passengers not included in your reservation.

For other destinations or for group transfers of over 14 passengers please email us for a quote.

Due to Italian laws regulations, please count all passengers no matter how young they are. No payment needed for the booking: you directly pay to the driver after the transportation. Payment accepted in Euro cash or by major Credit Cards.

Rome Airports transfer to city hotels

Rome Airports transfer to Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal

Fixed price round trip to Cruise Terminal: 120 Euros per trip per car

one way only: 125 Euros

For other destinations not listed above please email us or just send us a message using the form below. We will contact you back shortly.

I am going to do the train--it sounds so simple and exciting.

Now going to the ship from the hotel, I am planning to arrange a car service or a van to take 6-8 guys. I am doing this on the Internet with a Rome car service.

Round Trip-120 Euros per trip per car

Would anybody else be interested?

Please let me know

argenti722@aol.com

Hugs to all,

Mark

Fixed price round trip to all city hotels: 40 Euros per trip up to 4 pax

one way only: 45 Euros

:cool: hey tom,

how are you? we're planning on taking the train from the airport to the central station (a block or 2 from the hotel rex---called the stazione termini). you get it at the airport---a short underground tunnel and the train comes every 15 minutes or so. we're traveling very light, and most likely will have laundry done on the ship. i won't have the luggage schlepping ruin our trip...<g>). anyway, the train is 10 euros each as opposed to 50 euros or more + tip. cabs are notoriously hideously expensive, and the train is so much more convenient, given that we'll only have a small rolling bag and a shoulder bag each. from the terminal in civitavecchia, it is a very short cab to the pier... once at the hotel, a lot of stuff is very nearby. i have a list i'll share in another post.

we have around 11 weeks to go gang............yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got a lead on some nice, non-turisty food spots, non troppo caro, that's "not too expensive" for you non speakers......<G>

anyway, we're very excited and i'm practicing my italiono a lot!!

david:cool:

i neglected to mention that we'll most likely train it from rome to civitavecchia also. again, 10 euros and trains leave every 2 hours. and again, it's a short cab to the pier. (that's not carved in stone...if we can gather a group and hire a coach for a little money each, then we could go for that also.) but i do so love the european trains.

d

If there are a bunch going to hit the airport about the same time..I could go for a van....if not I will experiment and take the train.

Me...one 26 inch pulman on wheels and a carry on. Hey...not smart but can pick up heavy things. Also the hotel is close to the train station. Wonder of this station is like the one in Hamburg Germany......very interesting if you know what I mean.......snap snap snap.

As for dining......thats number one on my to do list in Rome.......Im with you wherever you want to go........dont need pretentious,,,,fun, interesting, local eateries are for me. Fancy can be on the ship. But must try pizza in Rome....to see what non American pizza is like.

Now to figure how to get in on Monday the 6th and be awake enough to start walking and people watching and window shopping and having a drink and everything else without dropping. I want to see as much as possible!!!!

I am soooooo ready to get on the plane......

Alex, you better start practicing walking long distances....we know how New Yorkers are... ride everywhere......unless you can get a dreamy "eyetalian" to wisk you off your feet.

A Texan on board.......from Houston........Texas grade A beef......HMMMMMM, Mark, I'll fight ya for him.

Cruisy Dave...your job is to make sure I dont get into trouble...some people on this cruise are such a bad influence, and I am so naive...fragile, delicate and innocent......yes, lull the Texan into a false sense of security.....then one glass of Chianti and........LOL

By the way...what is the proper attire for going out in the evening in Roma...I have been told they dress up...no jeans.....casual to dressy. I wanna clean up good...ya know.

Tom

Westerdam completes upgrades

01/06/2007

Holland America Line’s Westerdam launched its Europe cruise season with new staterooms, more shopping, a larger Pinnacle Grill and Bar, and a view for passengers sipping their morning latté.

Passenger capacity was increased to 1,916 with the addition of 34 verandah and inside cabins on the aft Upper Verandah, Rotterdam and Navigation decks.

A new Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times, was installed in a portion of the Crow’s Nest on Observation Deck. The Pinnacle Grill was expanded to accommodate 136 diners, and a separate Pinnacle Bar was installed. A high-end shop, Merabella, was added after a successful trial on the Amsterdam.

The Westerdam work shows an on-going commitment to quality and innovation, said HAL president and ceo Stein Kruse. The new concepts and venues on the Westerdam will be extended to the Eurodam, entering service in June 2008, and to the Vista-class Oosterdam in 2008 and Zuiderdam in 2009.

HAL said the Westerdam work was completed a day earlier than expected at Fincantieri’s Palermo shipyard

Sounds as if the ship will be nice and fresh......time for my refit I think.

• 2 weeks later...

FANTASTIC!!!! I was hoping you'd be able yo join us Christopher.

What hotel will you be staying at?

I'll be near the,Trevi Fountaion, and ,Tom ,is near the,Coloseum. Since our cell phones won't work, I wonder how we'll be able to hook up.

Suggestions anyone?

I will be staying near the Unversity, just east of the Termini train station. I am staying with an Italian guy at his apartment. Booked it through www.ebab.com Used same service for Fort Lauderdale. Really nice to stay with a local gay guy to get the true scoop on what's what and just make a new friend.

I guess we can just choose a central location to meet up at some point. I believe we are all arriving on Monday. I have a direct train from here in Lausanne. I will board Sunday night and arrive in central Rome at about 9:15 the next morning. My train journey will be longer than your flights but at least I wont have the time zones change to worry me.

Having never been to Rome I can't offer a suggeston for where that meeting place could be but I am sure we can choose something. I don't even have a guidebook for Rome so some research is necessary. Was looking at excursion options...oh the decisions.

Under 2 months to go. It will be awesome.

Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing...your train arrival at 9:15. My flight arrives 7:45. Allowing for baggage pick up and customs, thenthe train (@ 30 minutes) I just may be in the station when yourtrain arrives.

With our three addresses for logging, we should have no problem meeting.

I think walking around town should be great fun. Alex will be our candy to dangle in front of the locals.

Chris...maybe your roomie can tell us where to venture out in the evening.

Alex...are ya gettin ready? I am so ready to see it all, taste it all, soak up everything. By time I get to the ship I should be a wreck with a smile on.

Chris....yes you will dine on Tuesday night. Next month I will start collecting a list of those who are interested to pass onto the restaurant so they can plan. I think a bunch of RSVP cruisers all meeting for dinner will be a fantastic ice breaker and a fun evening for all. Not to mention dining on Italian cuisine in ROMA !!!!!!

This is where my gay side kicks in..what to wear that evening to look elegante, since I understand in Rome people do not dress down in the evening like in the US. Something tasteful, smart, elegant yet comfy. If I was a real lady (watch it...) the perfect little black dress would be the ticket.

I wonder what and where gay society goes in the evening....especially on a non weekend evening.

Hey Furrrrr....you must write about your Baltic trip......I figure the bruises, scratches and dents and dings will be gone or faded by August wink wink.

Gee.....8 weeks from today I will be airborne enroute to Rome......I guess it will fly by now. whoooopie!

Tom

Hi Everyone!

Contact your cell phone company to see if you can use your cell phone in Rome. I have T-Mobile and there was a free activation that they did in 7 seconds. I will have roaming (or is that ROMEing) charges, butt it will still work. Or...sometimes they have rental phones you can use.

All the cruise ships have anti-bacteria dispensers on board. Before past cruises, I have purchased a box of 100 Hand Sanitizing Wipes to take with me. They are individually packaged (kinda like condoms) and sell for $10 at Sams and Costco. Slip a few in your pocket at the beginning of each day and you are safe for shore excursions or ship activities (either sanitizing wipes or condoms).

Other info for you:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/rome3.htm

http://frommers.com/destinations/rome/

Larry

Archived