Dumped by RCCL

nanner10

We have been looking to make the move from the Caribbean to the Med. Have cruised on Carnival...moving to Princess next April for the Panama...and had been looking at RCI for the Med in 2008.

The reason we have been looking at RCI is because their rates seem good...we have to travel from the west coast so air fare to Europe is a killer...compared to both carnival and Princess.

Now I read this thread and I am wondering whether we just go back to one of the other two and bite the bullet on cost, rather than risk all the planning just to pay for a cancellation on RCI!

If it were one of the small high end lines I could accept it...those folks are always running very close to the line and have to fill their small ships every cruise or go under. But a corporation the size of RCI? I just don't know.

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom&Deb:)

The charters and cancellations can happen on any line so I'm not sure switching companies would guarantee no problem. It happens very rarely but can certainly be a mess when it does. I would just go with what seems to be the best cruise for you in the first place.

Does it seem sort of unfair that if the cruise line cancels 30 days out they are off the hook if they give you a refund but if you cancel 30 days out you will forfeit a significant portion of the money that you paid.

Good point...The cancellation date was the end of October 2004 which was 30 days (give or take a few days). If within the 30 day timeframe, could be viewed as you see it.

They did honor what we had paid since the following weeks price had increased. Our cabin was the same category...we were able to get the concierge class balcony room we had previously booked.

that's what I was thinking, what if someone had already purchased airfare !

This is a great point! We were departing out of San Juan and the rates through our TA (cruiseline) were pretty good so we went with them. Coming from the midwest, November and early December can be a weather disaster so we felt more comfotable going with them due to the guarantee to get us to the ship.

Hmmm...other cruises we booked our own air. I have to admit, if I bought a non-refundable ticket (Southwest airlines for example), I would not be pleased.

We were also bumped from the June 24 Legend cruise. We were able to rebook on the July 18 sailing, after RC offered to reimburse us for the $800 air cancellation/change penalty we had to pay to change our flights. They also offered us "price protection" and $100pp onboard credit for our rebooked cruise.

While the rebooking seems to be working out for us, my family of four is very disappointed in the way the cruise line handled the entire situation. RC knew for several weeks that they were in the process of bumping over 1000 booked passengers on this cruise, never notified us, and we found out about it here on Cruise Critic.

We are long time Royal Caribbean cruisers and shareholders in the company, but feel, unlike many others who have posted here, that we were not adequately compensated for the cancellation. We had already made several arrangements for our precruise visit to Tuscany (flights, hotels, rentals, etc) and the cancellation really disrupted quite a bit for us.

Yes, it was good of RC to reimburse our air penalty fees and offer us another cruise at the same price, but this to me is merely a wash, a break even. Offering $100 pp onboard credit seems to me to be token compensation, especially considering the overall cost of a 12 night European cruise.

We wrote to RC expressing our displeasure and will let everyone know how they respond.

Though we were able to change our vacation/cruise plans, not everyone booked on the cancelled cruise will be able to. I really feel sorry for them and hope that there is a pleasant cruise in their future as well.

We experienced a similar situation last summer when RCI cancelled the Sept. 2007 Jewel of the Seas transatlantic cruise from Harwich to Boston and were disappointed that we found out about it from sources other than RCI well before RCI finally made an official announcement. However, it happened more than a year in advance,(before flights could be booked) and the Legend situation more than seven months in advance (and apparently the line is paying for any costs associated with cancelling or changing flight arrangements, so the actual problems have been minimized. Stuff happens and we ought to learn to roll with the punches instead of agonizing over something that has happened. Hopefully, RCI, when faced with a similar situation in the future will do a better job of dealing with it. Have to wonder, though, why CC chose to headline it as "last minute" deal.

Fight what????? What are you talking about (again)

Kepp in mind I was born and raised in the Ohio and still live here but she had posted that she wanted someone to "fight" no wonder This is the most screwed up state to live in as far as taxs and bs Maybe her DH likes to bring his work home to the family?

We experienced a similar situation last summer when RCI cancelled the Sept. 2007 Jewel of the Seas transatlantic cruise from Harwich to Boston and were disappointed that we found out about it from sources other than RCI well before RCI finally made an official announcement. However, it happened more than a year in advance,(before flights could be booked) and the Legend situation more than seven months in advance (and apparently the line is paying for any costs associated with cancelling or changing flight arrangements, so the actual problems have been minimized. Stuff happens and we ought to learn to roll with the punches instead of agonizing over something that has happened. Hopefully, RCI, when faced with a similar situation in the future will do a better job of dealing with it. Have to wonder, though, why CC chose to headline it as "last minute" deal.

Not everyone can "roll" with these punches so easily, whether they want to or not. Some people do not have flexible vacation policies, some don't have time to "replan" a vacation, and some can't easily absorb potential cost impacts. We have to plan our trips very far in advance and having the vacation rug pulled out from under us would definitely cause some stress.

Not everyone can "roll" with these punches so easily, whether they want to or not. Some people do not have flexible vacation policies, some don't have time to "replan" a vacation, and some can't easily absorb potential cost impacts. We have to plan our trips very far in advance and having the vacation rug pulled out from under us would definitely cause some stress.

I understand all of that and sympathize but the reality is that you have 7 or more months to make alternative plans, it isn't that short a notice. Many times events occur much closer to vacation time that can throw a wrench into the best laid plans, and there is far less time or opportunity to adjust. I just don't think that "having the rug pulled out from under" you this far in advance is the major catastrophe that some have made it. If your plans have to be made that far in advance and the potential cost impacts are that great, it might be worthwhile purchasing travel insurance.

Be happy they offered you the OBC. I was scheduled on the Jewel 12 ngt Boston to FL next year. (Granted, this is much further in the future) They cancelled that cruise and never even told me. I found out by going on the website and couldn't find my reservation. I was offered nothing....Of course, I didn't ask either.

We were booked on the 12 day Jewel repo (10/07) also. I also found out by reading about it here on CC. RC did offer $100 OBC if you switched to a cruise on the Explorer during the summer or Jewel from South Hampton (?) to FLL as the Jewel was not coming to Boston at all. I was not interested in a transatlantic or going on the Explorer during the summer. We moved on but it was the lack of communication between RC and their customers that bothered me.

and you post HUH? Can't read? What?

I post that many companies DO NOT allow their employees to change vacation time. Use it or lose it is their motto. They want it a year in advance too. Radio, TV, UPS, FED EX, Government and many others are on that list.

So for a cruiseline to ax a cruise & not tell the TA about it blows! Then the customer learns by reading here. Then to offer OBC & airfare change for you to take one of the cruises they are offering. If you cannot change your vacation time, then you lose & all you get is the refund.

As a stockholder I do not want RCI noted as a "get ready for a charter cancellation" when I book cruises 15 months out front to get a bargain.

That is worse than a travel insurance company who calls to say the claim you sent will be paid within the month & 8 months later they haven't gotten the paperwork from RCI as they paid them for. So your claim is denied. So you have to call RCI to get the paperwork for them? NOPE! Just call your ATT Gen'l for that rip off.

What? :confused: :confused: :confused:

and you post HUH? Can't read? What?

I post that many companies DO NOT allow their employees to change vacation time. Use it or lose it is their motto. They want it a year in advance too. Radio, TV, UPS, FED EX, Government and many others are on that list.

So for a cruiseline to ax a cruise & not tell the TA about it blows! Then the customer learns by reading here. Then to offer OBC & airfare change for you to take one of the cruises they are offering. If you cannot change your vacation time, then you lose & all you get is the refund.

As a stockholder I do not want RCI noted as a "get ready for a charter cancellation" when I book cruises 15 months out front to get a bargain.

That is worse than a travel insurance company who calls to say the claim you sent will be paid within the month & 8 months later they haven't gotten the paperwork from RCI as they paid them for. So your claim is denied. So you have to call RCI to get the paperwork for them? NOPE! Just call your ATT Gen'l for that rip off.

You must be one of the rudest people on here.

So,if you get your money back how cn you lose all? You can book another cruise on another line for that same week.

Your imagination runs wild. Think before you post so that you make sense.

Although I think it downright rude of RCL to cancel people's cruises it isn't the end of the world.

Archived