Amazingly bad Spa Services on the Legend

gwydiana

Has anybody had any *good* experiences with the spa services/hair salon on the Legend?

I had such a poor experience there that I will most likely never use a Carnival Ship's Spa service again and I have 3 cruises already booked and in my immediate future!

The following was an email I'd sent to the person in charge of the Spa and no response was forthcoming:

To: nickyc@timetospa.com

Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 8:19 AM

Subject: Legend Thanksgiving cruise

CARNIVAL LEGEND, 11/16/06, 8270, 8MF511, 010963259A

The above number reference my passenger status on the Legend for the Thanksgiving cruise. The second day out on the cruise, I decided to treat myself to a $175 "hot rock" massage and a $45 hair set/style.

This was the most disappointing experience in a spa I've ever been through!

I paid this woman $175 to simply place hot rocks on my body. The "massage" part of this was nonexistant.

When I went to get my hair washed, blow dryed and curled, I was in for another disappointment. Both of the female stylists were complaining about having to set the older woman's hair (she was in the seat right next to me!) and my stylist absolutely refused to curl my hair. So I had to settle for very straight hair that first formal evening.

As a result, I opted out on any pictures that first formal night, as I didn't feel very confident in my appearance.

My disasppointment is overwhelming.

Since I have THREE (3) other Carnival cruises scheduled for the next few months, I'm quite sure I will be avoiding the spa at all costs.

Sincerely Disappointed,

Has anybody had any *good* experiences with the spa services/hair salon on the Legend?

I had such a poor experience there that I will most likely never use a Carnival Ship's Spa service again and I have 3 cruises already booked and in my immediate future!

The following was an email I'd sent to the person in charge of the Spa and no response was forthcoming:

The above number reference my passenger status on the Legend for the Thanksgiving cruise. The second day out on the cruise, I decided to treat myself to a $175 "hot rock" massage and a $45 hair set/style.

I paid this woman $175 to simply place hot rocks on my body. The "massage" part of this was nonexistant.

When I went to get my hair washed, blow dryed and curled, I was in for another disappointment. Both of the female stylists were complaining about having to set the older woman's hair (she was in the seat right next to me!) and my stylist absolutely refused to curl my hair. So I had to settle for very straight hair that first formal evening.

As a result, I opted out on any pictures that first formal night, as I didn't feel very confident in my appearance.

Since I have THREE (3) other Carnival cruises scheduled for the next few months, I'm quite sure I will be avoiding the spa at all costs.

Sincerely Disappointed,

I'm not flaming you, so don't get defensive, but I noticed your email address in your letter. Could it be your association with the spa business tainted your impression with the services?

I'm not flaming you, so don't get defensive, but I noticed your email address in your letter. Could it be your association with the spa business tainted your impression with the services?

Judy, please look at that email address a second time.

That's the "TO" email address LOL

I'm in property management

I've never been on the legend but I also would suggest you send a letter to the head of Carnival - not customer service, but the top top. Also, I dont know if Nicky at the website is some one you spoke with, but, I would go right to the top. It appears that timetospa.com is owned by Steiner Beauty Products, Inc.m, I have to do a little more looking into it, but if you want you can email me at lmcgrath@pardogainsburg.com and Id love to help you get right to the top and get some resolve from Carnival and/or the company that owns the spa...

I never never suggest people start with customer service etc... they have limited options as to what they can do... Ive been assisting in customer service type of complaints for about 10 years and I direct 100% of my problems to Presidents/CEOs/Owners etc of companies... I never deal with anyone lower than that...

Sincerely Disappointed,

This is just great. IM going on the legend over New Years and last group of people who have done a review were all hands down. CAN WE HEAR SOME GOOD NEWS. Even if its a lie. Thank you

This is just great. IM going on the legend over New Years and last group of people who have done a review were all hands down. CAN WE HEAR SOME GOOD NEWS. Even if its a lie. Thank you

The Legend was a great ship! I had a pretty good time overall, it's just that there were a few letdowns, and the spa was top and foremost amongst them. Hang out at the piano bar, Brady will show you a great time there!

The cigar bar was also a blast.

Just stay away from the Spa/Hair Salon LOL!

Judy, no worries, easy mistake to make!

My cruise last week on the Legend was terrific. No complaints about decor, food, service. I got a massage on the Victory last year and was not impressed so I wont uses them anymore as I get a massage every week at home for a lost less money and better service.

Why didn't you complain to the Spa Manager right then and there?? There's probably not much they can do about it now. Also, when I had a rude Spa Mgr (I couldn't believe it!) I got names and when I go t home, if I was still mad, I wrote a detailed letter of what had transpired. I was still mad, and got a sincere letter of apology from Carnival. They let the Dept. Heads know of what had happened (copy of my letter) and belive me, I'm SURE the Spa Mgr was surprised--being that she probably thought I was an idiot and she'll never see me again. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

I can feel for you - I also wrote a letter of complaint about treatment at the spa on the Conquest in 2005 directly to Carnival Customer Service. I was told that while they appreciated my comments I needed to contact the spa rep directly. Sorry to say I did write them but never heard a word. My fault for not following up.

I was really looking forward to a massage because I didn't get a chance to experience the Conquest spa in 2003. My complaint had to do with them "overbooking" and thinking that someone (me) would actually enjoy a massage in the middle of the hair and nail salon on the sofa cushions, with the bright lights and the smell of nail polish remover, listening to woman gossip.

HELLO - does that sound relaxing?

Once I realized that they weren't just "staging" me there before placing me in a room I asked if they intended on performing the massage there. When they told me it would be fine I told them in their dreams. I complained and requested a different time so that they could accommodate me properly but I was told they didn't have any appointments available. I told them they shouldn't overbook if they didn't have the rooms available and told them I would not be staying and I would not be paying for the appointment.

In the future I will make sure I tell them exactly what I expect when booking.

I'm just curious what the description is for the stone massage.

I would have been really mad if I had mad an appointment for a wash, dry & set & did not get it, especially on formal night. Did they charge you the full price they quoted when you made the appointment?

I'm just curious what the description is for the stone massage.

I would have been really mad if I had mad an appointment for a wash, dry & set & did not get it, especially on formal night. Did they charge you the full price they quoted when you made the appointment?

The description was it was supposed to be 70 minutes of heavenly massage augmented by hot stones -- it was anything but that!

I did complain to the Spa Manager and was waved away as she had 5 customers she was booking at the time. They are turning people away for these overpriced spa "services"!! I'm shocked at the number of willing customers are bellying up to be fleeced by this "spa".

They did wash my hair and way overconditioned it so it was silky soft and almost *oily*. I only had a few minutes before dinner to try and curl my hair and it would not take a curl because of all the softening products they put in my hair. They indeed charged me the full $45 for the wash and set. The $45 really wasnt the issue, it was the lack of service received and their very loud incessant complaining while performing the service. It was embarrassing.

I'm really begrudging the $175 for that hot stone non-massage tho LOL

I was on the Legend in May and did the sea weed wrap and 1 hour massage combo...it was phenomenal!! So relaxing, especially after all of the physical activies I did while in port! It was worth every penny. But would be so irate if I experienced what the OP did. I hope things get worked out for you. Did you try Carnival's guest relations dept?

We were on the cruise with Gwydiana, and have to say our salon experience was the same. We booked 3 appointments for cut, wash and blow out for the first formal night. 2 of the appointments were only made for a wash & blow out. Okay, no big deal, we'll go with it.

They were extrememly disorganized, not knowing who was doing what. You wouldn't think 3 appointments would be so confusing.

They also told us the same thing about curling our hair - since they had just washed it, they could only style it straight. Okay, again the 3 of us were deterined to enjoy it so we went witrh the flow.

Would I book the salon again? Maybe, but with low expectations.

The Spa is okay - I had one treatment there, and told the therapist right away I would not be buying any product, as I work in a luxury hotel and get product through our spa (should I want anything). That seemed to take the pressure off, and I had a nice time. But it sounds like I would not have been pleased with the hot rocks massage! I was trying to talk DH into one, now I am glad he refused!

But - we loved our trip on the Legend, would book again in a heartbeat. I was surprised to read that people had bad experiences with staff. We had a great cabin steward and the servers in Truffles were great. Everyone we encountered was busy, but still extrmely pleasant.

We were on the cruise with Gwydiana, and have to say our salon experience was the same. We booked 3 appointments for cut, wash and blow out for the first formal night. 2 of the appointments were only made for a wash & blow out. Okay, no big deal, we'll go with it.

They were extrememly disorganized, not knowing who was doing what. You wouldn't think 3 appointments would be so confusing.

They also told us the same thing about curling our hair - since they had just washed it, they could only style it straight. Okay, again the 3 of us were deterined to enjoy it so we went witrh the flow.

Would I book the salon again? Maybe, but with low expectations.

The Spa is okay - I had one treatment there, and told the therapist right away I would not be buying any product, as I work in a luxury hotel and get product through our spa (should I want anything). That seemed to take the pressure off, and I had a nice time. But it sounds like I would not have been pleased with the hot rocks massage! I was trying to talk DH into one, now I am glad he refused!

But - we loved our trip on the Legend, would book again in a heartbeat. I was surprised to read that people had bad experiences with staff. We had a great cabin steward and the servers in Truffles were great. Everyone we encountered was busy, but still extrmely pleasant.

I was on this sailing as well (Hi guys!:))

I saw Gwydiana's hair after her appointment and I was shocked to hear that she requested a curly do as her hair was most emphatically straight! SHe looked gorgeous but none the less it was not what was booked!

Unfortunatly, I did not book any spa time on this particular sailing so I can't comment personally on the spa BUT

I certainly did enjoy my cruise and the ship!

I have responded to a couple of other threads today regarding this and since I had computer issues I have not gotten a review posted but I will certainly try and write it in the next day or 2 and post!

In general, I thought the ship was beautful and wonderfully maintained. Always clean and sparkly.

I enjoyed almost all the food I ate. Only one night was my meat overcooked (pork chops) and I really knew better than to order the Turkey but was pressured into it as it was Thanksgiving...lol. Everthing else that I ate was great and I highly suggest the Deli on the Lido deck for lunch!

The layout on the lido deck is great and there were always chairs - both lounge chairs and in the dining area. Tables were bussed quickly and the crew was very friendly here.

Cabin Steward was great!

Waitstaff in the dining room was not up what I usually experience on Carnival but certainly nothing that diminished my dining experience.

Gwydiana - Hope you get some resolution! Keep me posted in email!

I think it was Lisa from our group said she had a good massage there. I had fully intended to do the spa but I couldn't bring myself to pay their prices when I can a fantastic hot stone massage for 90 minutes for half the price (in CDN dollares no less). Just as well I lost all my spa money at the Blackjack table, had some fun while it lasted at least LOL.

We have an upcoming cruise and I wrote Carnival that I would be thinking twice re: booking a Spa trtmnt. I highly doubt I will anyway.....I think they're overpriced, and, usually ont he last night, they have -50% of services. (At least they did on the Med. Liberty!)

I can feel for you - I also wrote a letter of complaint about treatment at the spa on the Conquest in 2005 directly to Carnival Customer Service. I was told that while they appreciated my comments I needed to contact the spa rep directly. Sorry to say I did write them but never heard a word. My fault for not following up.

You would think if Carnival gets enough complaints about a subcontractor/vendor on their ship that they would do something about it.

These forums are a good way to spread the word to avoid these services. If they do not make their quotas I imagine that they will not pay their rents (or whatever other arrangements that they have).

You would think if Carnival gets enough complaints about a subcontractor/vendor on their ship that they would do something about it.

These forums are a good way to spread the word to avoid these services. If they do not make their quotas I imagine that they will not pay their rents (or whatever other arrangements that they have).

Exactly! Thank you all so much for the support! I greatly appreciate it!

I've had mixed results with the spa services. I once had my acrylic nails "filled". That cost 34.00(36 or somewhere around that much) which I was OK with since they did it by hand and the girl was nice but then she charged me 14.00 to repolish my nails!!!:eek: That was ridiculous! I complained but they wouldn't budge. I think that was on the Inspiration in 2002. (Sensation)

I did a facial and they just put me in a chair in the salon, not very relaxing.

My DD has had her hair done in an up-do twice with good results.

My friends and I on the Glory over Thanksgiving did a Women's night out for 40 or 50 but they gave us a product gift when we left. It was a "do it yourself" spa experience but fun. The next morning I was able to schedule a back massage, foot and ankle and head massage for $40. That was a good experience.

I've had my body fat composition done a couple times but I don't really trust the expertise of the fitness staff. My daughter had it done on the Liberty and he told her she needed to lose 25lbs. She is "built" and I think 100lbs would be too small for her build. (Liberty)

I did sign DD for a multiple treatments in the salon but for some reason they didn't do her pedicure. I never did figure out what happened but they gave her a rain-check and I got a very nice pedicure out of it.

Lately, the spa hasn't pressed their products. There doesn't seem to be very much QA in the Spa/Salon/Fitness area of the ship.

I found the salon to be pushy with thier products, but I am really good at saying "Nope, not interested and not buying". They did their best to convince us that we really needed these "professional products that are not available in the States". No thanks :)

Just a quick thought ---

When writing a letter complaining about a service or anything of the sort, you should always offer the company a way to compensate you.

For example, here, I would have specified that $200 on board credit to compensate you for services you didnt enjoy, or feel you got value out of, on a future cruise.

Its a valid complaint, but if you just write to complain and say "I dont think I will use "x" again" they dont have any incentive to make it right!

Hope Carnival comes through for you on this though, and I am sorry you had a bad experience! I am looking forward to my spa treatments on my next cruise (though not on carnival)

Archived