Sun Dry Dock??

snowman

Though one can appreciate the concern for those scheduled to travel right after the drydock and wanting assurance they are still traveling, you are not going to get 100% satisfaction.

The cruiselines have alot riding on getting that ship back into service as soon as possible. It would cost them a ton of money (millions?) to miss a cruise along with the loss of customer goodwill. Even if you got a letter from the CEO saying they are on schedule, it would be worth ZERO if something happened and they could NOT finish. What happens, happens. And, the shipyard wants the ship out of there because they have others lined up to get worked on.

Rest assured that everyone wants it done and on schedule. We all hope you have a great cruise and are sorry you have to wait and worry. Try not to.

To me "on schedule" means - it will begin on time and end on time.

Here's crossing my fingers that it all works out and that things are shiny and beautiful for all of us on that sailing.

If you book for the first cruise after a dry dock, you're knowingly taking a risk. It's just like booking the maiden voyage of a new ship. The risk is pretty small - every ship goes into dry dock once every two or three years, and most are completed without any incident or delay - but you know it's there. And, inevitably, a delay during a dry dock is the sort of thing that will almost always happen right then and with no advance warning, so you'd only have a few days' or so notice of a problem. But you'll almost certainly be fine.

Is the crew usually replaced after a dry dock or do they just get vacation time?
Often, neither. Many of the crew carry on working during a dry dock, although special arrangements have to be made for food and (sometimes) accommodation, depending on how much of the ship is powered down.

Two questions about the Sun dry dock:

Is the crew usually replaced after a dry dock or do they just get vacation time? And does anyone know where in Mobile the dry dock is located?

The crew works by helping with the cleaning, carpet laying, and machinery refurbishings.

On Google Earth, I can see three floating dry docks that could be used. I don't know which one will be.

Anca should be returning around that time as well. She is currently on a much deserved break. Her replacement, Mareike is just as good.

Are you referring to Anca, the conceirge? I felt that way back in Sept she needed a break. Overworked. She didn't impress us much, as we asked her for a couple of things and they were never attended to. Harry, the butler, was far superior.

Are you referring to Anca, the conceirge? I felt that way back in Sept she needed a break. Overworked. She didn't impress us much, as we asked her for a couple of things and they were never attended to. Harry, the butler, was far superior.

It was exactly the opposite with us, but I am not going there. Anca is one of the many reasons we are returning to the Sun in March.

It was exactly the opposite with us, but I am not going there. Anca is one of the many reasons we are returning to the Sun in March.

I think she had way too much on her mind during our cruise if I recall - like personal stuff because even at check in she seemed abscent minded.

We gave up, and just asked Harry for what we needed.

my son called on his way home from work, as he drove thru mobile, to ask if i knew why the Sun was at the port of Mobile? guess it is there in drydock...usually they are berthed on the other side of the bridge for drydock, and we are used to seeing them there but this time it is on the port side....so, apparently it is in drydock now!!!!

hope you all have nice February trips on a spruced up ship!

Beverly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived