Tried to give a free cruise gift - turned me down.

7SeasLover

Who'd have thunk? I tried to give our son a free cruise on the Star (Mex-Riv), but he turned me down. What's a mom to do?

Part II

Anybody know which ship had the e-coli breakout. Hubby said news reported "hundreds" sick on cruise ship, but he didn't tell me which line.

Who'd have thunk? I tried to give our son a free cruise on the Star (Mex-Riv), but he turned me down. What's a mom to do?

Part II

Anybody know which ship had the e-coli breakout. Hubby said news reported "hundreds" sick on cruise ship, but he didn't tell me which line.

Would you like to adopt a daughter?...I wouldn't turn it down;)

There were hundreds sick on a ship, I think last week, can't remember which line but not NCL:)

The best two places to get cruise ship illness reports are:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

and

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

From the latter web site

Holland America's Zaandam had the latest illness outbreak (Nov 26 to Dec 11), determination of cause is still pending.

Here's the CDC report:

• Cruise Line: Holland America Line
  • Cruise Ship: Zaandam
  • Voyage Dates: 11/26-12/11
  • Number of ill passengers out of total number of passenger: 64 of 1431 (4.47%)
  • Number of ill crew out of total number of crew: 4 of 617 (0.67%)
  • Predominant symptoms: diarrhea and vomiting
  • Actions: Holland America Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions to respond to the outbreak:
    • increased cleaning and disinfection procedures,
    • are sending daily updates throughout the following voyage and will continue to do so until the case counts return to normal.

There was also a major break out of norovirus at George Washington University last week. Unfortunately, only the cruise lines get all the press. Maybe it's the jealous journalists who can't go on a cruise and want the rest of us not to either. :)

I wouldn't turn down a free cruise either. I guess his reason made sense in retrospect. He's getting his Doctorate after a bazillion years of study, so we thought a cruise for 2 would be very relaxing and enjoyable since he's been on a few with us as a teen and enjoyed them.

The reason he turned it down is 1) he's not a fan of Mexcio and 2) more importantly, he's taking Board exams 30 days after he walks, so he'll be hitting the books he said.

So... no cruise for our new Doctor son and back to the drawing board to think of an appropriate gift.

Ha ha ha... I'm trying to get a free cruise too, but nobody offers me one!

Back to the e-coli... I wonder at what point during break-outs does the ship's doctor report there's something up? After 3 reports... 5... when? Also, does anyone know if they make general announcements on the ship that something's going around? When such things happen and if it is widespread, does the cruiseline offer any OBC or future cruise credit?

I just can't help but wonder if some of these things are brought on board by pax - :eek: perhaps intentionally :eek: ???

Back to the e-coli... I wonder at what point during break-outs does the ship's doctor report there's something up? After 3 reports... 5... when?

Actually, I don't think many of the "Norovirus" outbreaks on ships are actually e-coli. If they were, instead of just hearing the number infected, we would probably be hearing about how many died. My understanding--and I am probably wrong again--while e-coli might be a norovirus, not all norovirus is e-coli

Not sure on the number of cases before it gets reported but it seems to me it's somewhere around 3% of the people on board.

AND--I've heard on many occasions that it usually (or at least often) does originate from a passenger

-Monte

I wouldn't turn down a free cruise either. I guess his reason made sense in retrospect. He's getting his Doctorate after a bazillion years of study, so we thought a cruise for 2 would be very relaxing and enjoyable since he's been on a few with us as a teen and enjoyed them.

The reason he turned it down is 1) he's not a fan of Mexcio and 2) more importantly, he's taking Board exams 30 days after he walks, so he'll be hitting the books he said.

So... no cruise for our new Doctor son and back to the drawing board to think of an appropriate gift.

I know it's your son who is getting his doctorate...but I feel that the parents deserve some credit too. What a wonderful accomplishment. Congratulations all around!

My husband, prior to his first cruise on the Dawn last October, would have said no too. However...he got the bug in him and we now look forward to many more wonderful voyages.

Regarding the ecoli outbreak on those other ships - that's one helluva nasty bug. We had some problems here recently in the Northeast. One of my favorite fast good national chains had many sick customers - ecoli which I believe they tracked to the green onion vendor. It will pass, but if you've got other health issues, matters can become complicated.

I will be going to several Mexican stops come next September/October. None of us (myself, DH, and two BFF's) will be eating off the ship. Three out of the four of us have other health issues and we cannot chance getting ill. We will bring bottled water from the ship and that will be that.

Ciao for now,

W A W W

Thank you. It's be a long road, but harder for our son... and I thought he'd grow up to be a hoodlum! My husband said WE should go to celebrate that maybe he'll finally have a job. We are very proud of our preemie.

I think that the e-coli and other bug outbreaks are handled well by the crew. I just wish there was a way to prevent it short of an Andromeda Strain method! :eek:

Archived