Emergency help needed please

kidrn

6. Vessel and Voyage:

(b) Substitute Vessel: If the vessel does not sail on or about the advertised or scheduled date for any reason, including fault of the Carrier, the Guest agrees that the Carrier shall be entitled to substitute any other vessel or means of transportation, regardless of whether owned or operated by the Carrier, and to re-berth Guests thereon or, at the Carrier’s option, to refund the fare paid or a pro rata portion thereof, without further liability for damages or losses of any kind whatsoever.

If they can substitute a vessel, surely they can substitute a cabin.

I have never argued against them substituting a different itinerary and I have been who have argued in NCL's favor when people come on here and gripe about itinerary changes. Those happen.

On my Dawn cruise last year, our itinerary was changed. When we booked back in September, it was Cape Canaveral, Miami and Bahammas. Then in December, I read on these boards that the itinerary was changed to Bermuda and the Bahammas. We were never notified of that change and, although I don't think it was right that they didn't notify us, I never complained about that change because those things happen for many reasons. (funny story, I was at the reservation desk (next to the purser's desk) on the first night of the cruise and some couple was raising all kind of heck because we weren't going to Florida and they had booked a cruise on the Dawn to Florida! Hmmmm, sounds like someone else wasn't notified and doesn't belong to Cruise Critic...lol)

To answer your last question, per the cruise contract, they don't have to notify you.

They can switch ships, switch cabins, switch itineraries, drop ports, for any reason what-so-ever..

How wonderful, they can HIDE when they make switches. Ok, so maybe they do have the right to not tell you, but that isn't a way an HONEST business should work. But dishonesty seems to be NCL's mode of operation when they are trying to hide stuff. I would be ashamed to call myself President of such a company but a company is usually the embodiment of the President so I guess it fits.

So answer this question, even though they are ALLOWED to make switches and not notify you, does anyone out there think that is the RIGHT way to operate a business??

Yes, i'm bothered by no notification, but one onehundred of one percent is near perfect by any quality control system. Everyone expects perfection, but as long as people are involved it will never happen.

For example, I work for a magazine distributor. We have a quality control system second to none. We weigh our magazines, have a computer tossing boxes off the line that aren't of the correct weight, and we have people double checking and triple checking the orders being sent out.

The company has also promised one chain of retailers zero errors. Unfortunately, despite our quality control system which I can't see be improved, we still have this chain calling in shortages.

After doing a data base on the magazines being called in short, some 90 percent of these shortages were adult titles, the most expensive titles by the way. This chain has over 300 stores, with the shortages being called in by the same 20 stores, the same titles every month. It appears the receivers in this chain are less than honest.

While our company can be one hundred percent perfect, it cannot be so if other companies are less than honest, or perfect themselves.

Yes, i'm bothered by no notification, but one onehundred of one percent is near perfect by any quality control system. Everyone expects perfection, but as long as people are involved it will never happen.

After doing a data base on the magazines being called in short, some 90 percent of these shortages were adult titles, the most expensive titles by the way. This chain has over 300 stores, with the shortages being called in by the same 20 stores, the same titles every month. It appears the receivers in this chain are less than honest.

While our company can be one hundred percent perfect, it cannot be so if other companies are less than honest, or perfect themselves.

Great story Don and it does appear that something is amiss in those certain stores.

But in the case of NCL, there is no middleman (unless you are talking about TA's and I don't think 3 TAs would all make notification mistakes). It is a very simple process, when the computer or cabin inventory person for NCL makes a decision to move cabins, pick up the phone or fire off an email to the people involved.

I don't see how any dishonesty could occur at the consumer's end in this situation though.

Here is an interesting quote from another thread from someone who just got off the Pearl:

The only problem we had on this entire trip (because nothing is perfect) was when we arrived at the terminal we found out our rooms had been changed. We had booked 2 categ. G obstructed views next to each other. We were moved from them to 2 others, one on each side of the ship. I asked for 2 cabins together or at least on the same side of the ship. The issue was solved within several hours. We were 2 cabins away. We received 2 bottles of champagne and some other goodies in our room for the inconvenience.

This makes our fourth documented case in 9 months. This appears to be becoming a standard thing for NCL to move cabins and not tell anyone until they show up!

Since it has never happened to me or my family I suppose I couldn't possibly understand the anguish that one feels when it happens to them........but at least that poster seems to have taken it in stride and is not letting it eat away at them for all eternity.:)

G

Since it has never happened to me or my family I suppose I couldn't possibly understand the anguish that one feels when it happens to them........but at least that poster seems to have taken it in stride and is not letting it eat away at them for all eternity.:)

G

I wish Kidrn had come back after her cruise with exactly what NCL's compensation and correction had been, and more importantly, with details about how she liked (or disliked...who knows), her cruise especially since she had such a rocky start.

Kidrn....are you out there!!:confused:

I am planning a trip with my parents who are elderly and we have reserved connecting balconies on the Dawn for April. After reading this thread, I am somewhat in panic mode. I fear that they or we could be shifted to a different area of the ship or deck. My father becomes confused quite easily and mom is not the swiftest at finding her way. I certainly don't want them away from us and would prefer to keep them in a connecting cabin as this may be the last major trip they are able to take together.

If it happened once, I wouldn't worry. But four times over such a short period and as some have pointed out, there are only a small number of people on a cruise who belong to cruise critic. Also the fact that the cruise line doesn't seem to care to notify people is also bothering me. Final payment is still a month away so I can investigate this further but now I am just not sure NCL is worth the worry.

how many thousands of people a week cruise and we hear about 4 in the last 6 months? i had the reservations for my FIL and our room..linked. plus told the TA to put a note "no upgrades, do not move rooms". FIL has major health issue and we didn't know if any of the family would go with us. turned out great, his room was right across the hall from us. the room stewarts were great in watching out for him. freestyle dining was wonderful, he didn't have to wait until a set hour to eat. he could get a fresh hot snack anytime at the blue lagoon (NCL star).

you have to remember, out of all those thousands that cruise every week, most would love to have a upgrade or room change:) . it's not just NCL that could upgrade or (due to some unknow fact) have to change your room.

After reading this thread, I am somewhat in panic mode. .

While I don't believe you'll have a problem, if you are as afraid as you seem to be it might be best for you to change cruises. After doing so, you might want to avoid internet boards until after the cruise ;)

jmo

-Monte

I am somewhat in panic mode. I fear that they or we could be shifted to a different area of the ship or deck.

If it happened once, I wouldn't worry. But four times over such a short period and as some have pointed out, there are only a small number of people on a cruise who belong to cruise critic. Also the fact that the cruise line doesn't seem to care to notify people is also bothering me. Final payment is still a month away so I can investigate this further but now I am just not sure NCL is worth the worry.

Regardless of what the others are saying, we only know of four incidents. There could have been many more (I think we estimated that 2% of cruisers on a ship are CC members, which would be about 40 people out of 2000 per cruise) There have been many NCL cruises over the past year. So obviously the odds are not great that you would have a room switch.

Some things that can be done to prevent a switch:

1.) Either have your TA or yourself (if not using a TA) notify NCL that you do not want ANY upgrades without your knowledge.

2.) Talk with NCL about your situation, let them know the medical situation (If I am reading you right), and perhaps they can somehow flag your account to not switch.

3.) If you can afford it, perhaps switching to an AB or higher suite where you could share a room with your parents. (most of those catagories have two seperate rooms and two baths)

The more serious issue is NCL's failure to notify people. In all four cases on this board, it was either dumb luck or not finding out until reaching the pier. To me this is inexcusable. It appears NCL hopes that by not telling people of switches, they can avoid the types of arguements and costs that Kidrn and I put them through. (I'm sure they had to upgrade people to clear them out of the cabins that they moved us into). How many people would simply not fight when confronted at the pier with a room switch....those are the people NCL loves.

I still believe that four almost identical switches over 9 months that have been reported here is simply an indication of a larger number that is being done weekly by NCL.

Montrocruise: Here is a synopsis of the four documented cases for your review.

The solutions and compensations differed between each case ranging from no compensation to a $200 OBC.

As many have stated on these boards, CC members make up on a VERY small portion of NCL's passenger base. How many others have had to face this problem that we don't know about.

Again, my biggest complaint is the lack of notification by NCL of those affected. Instead of trying to help the passengers who they are displacing, they would rather be sneaky and not tell people that their plans have just been messed up.

The four documented cases:

1. "Claudie" - Sailed on Pearl - late December, 2006: Arrived at the terminal to find out our rooms had been changed. Had booked 2 category G obstructed views next to each other. We were moved from them to 2 others, one on each side of the ship. I asked for 2 cabins together or at least on the same side of the ship.

Solution: NCL found two Cat G cabins 2 doors apart and gave two bottles of champagne in compensation.

2. Kidrn: Sailed on the Pearl over Christmas, 2006. Had booked connecting cabins for them and 3 children. Just happened to go to NCL website 3 days before cruise. Discovered that NCL had switched one of their cabins down the hall. NCL claimed it was done to balance lifeboats so it put the family in two different lifeboats. At first no one at NCL had any knowledge of the switch, then told her that nothing could be done, but offered her a $200 obc. She had been on hold a long time and was treated rudely by NCL.

After 2 days of calls to NCL by her and her TA (and the whole story playing out on CC), she was finally able to speak to an supervisor who listened and was able to help. Although they could not get her back into connecting staterooms, her and her family were placed in side by side staterooms and was able to keep the $200 OBC.

3. Snake 114: Sailed on the Spirit in late November, 2006: Booked connecting balcony cabins next to the kids club directly with NCL 8 months out, and when they arrived at the ship, were told that the cabin numbers on documents were incorrect. Told that they had been "upgraded" to other balcony cabins on a different deck several rooms apart. They refused to accept this change, and after a couple of hours got the old rooms back and a $100 OBC.

4. Keystone Cruiser: Sailed on Dawn in June, 2006: Booked three adjoining AF cabins, two of which were connecting. Also booked interior cabin directly across hall from AF's for other family. Correct cabins showed up on initial bill in October 05, but cabins had been changed when final bill came in late March. (we missed this change and had made final payment). New AF cabins were several doors down the hall, but had no connecting cabins and no interior across from it. TA and our family immediately began calling and emailing NCL about problem but were continually told that nothing could be done and told, rudely, by one NCL exec: "tell your clients to just deal with it." During this period we also had been looking into paying for an upgrade for two of our cabins into an AB. They showed open on NCL's website, but everytime our TA called about them, she was told that they were not available (and then they would disappear for a couple of days off of website). NCL even told TA that the website was "usually 2-3 days behind." (a lie that CC members on this board quickly proved false.)

After 2 months of phone calls, emails and letters by TA and ourselves, (and the support of CC members on this board), NCL calls TA, 7 days before sailing, and says that they have "found" 3 adjoining AF cabins with two of them being connecting. These cabins were three doors down from original cabins. (but still not directly across from interior cabin). Compensation: None (no OBC)

And I thought "kids in Vegas" was an exciting topic!

I got my morning laugh a little while ago on another board and my afternoon laugh just now. Thanks and yes, you are right about the Vegas and kids, I love to read the comments. Of course we get similar ones here about kids, dress code, sneaking booze on board and now this. NMnita

Keystone cruiser,

You have every right to voice your opinion (well everyone does) you had almost a total nightmare on your sailing. You also are pretty fair even if I do think you come down a little to hard. You try to be objective, you love NCL cruising just not the home office, etc. I do think this problem with cabin switching is a rarity. Yes, it can happen, but I can assure you and others, as many years as I have been in the business I don't know of one personal case of cabin switching. Never has this happened to any of my clients, to me or to any of the clients of my co-workers. NMnita

Many thanks to those of you who provided the helpful answers to my dilema. (I won't comment about the others)

My TA was the one who suggested that I look at Cruise Critic and gave the links to two threads, this one and a now closed one from June about all of Keystone Cruisers problems. She told me that I should check these situations out before I book with NCL because of my parents health. She told me to be careful if I posted because of the many attacks that take place on this board. She also said to look for posts by members Keystone Cruiser and Shoreguy as the most fair, balanced and accurate.

Even though it doesn't happen often, Keystone Cruiser's two comments keeps sticking in my mind: "I still believe that four almost identical switches over 9 months that have been reported here is simply an indication of a larger number that is being done weekly by NCL."

and:

"So obviously the odds are not great that you would have a room switch." (I don't know how to do that posting of quotes you guys do.)

These two quotes have provided me with my answer to look elsewhere, I have to agree that there are others this has happened to and more importantly, I don't want to even risk the possibility even though the odds are not great.

Another point is the seemingly care less attitude that NCL has shown in the cases listed by Keystone Cruiser. (those four on one post were extremely helpful at seeing the whole picture) They gave anywhere from token responses to no response. I also don't understand why they can't tell people ahead of time except as a deceptive practice.

So once again, thank you for your time and mostly honest postings. I did not feel attacked at all.

Many thanks to those of you who provided the helpful answers to my dilema. (I won't comment about the others)

Unfortunately, we have a few in our midst that have to take their shots.

My TA was the one who suggested that I look at Cruise Critic and gave the links to two threads, this one and a now closed one from June about all of Keystone Cruisers problems. She told me that I should check these situations out before I book with NCL because of my parents health. She told me to be careful if I posted because of the many attacks that take place on this board. She also said to look for posts by members Keystone Cruiser and Shoreguy as the most fair, balanced and accurate.

A word of caution: don't always believe TA's (nothing personal Nita - who is wonderful at helping people on this board) unless you have worked with them for a long time. Especially those that tend to talk down a particular ship or cruise line. There are a couple of prominent travel agencies that refuse to sell NCL because of commissions, etc. and those companies are more than likely to talk down that line.

It bothers me that a TA refered you to this thread as almost an attempt to disuade you from cruising NCL. I suggest that you go back and read some of the other threads about NCL, including the Freestyle concept and Freestyle dining. THEN make your decision based on the good and the bad. Since your TA told you to look for posts by me as fair and balanced, here is something to ponder: In my opinion, NCL has the best ships and crews, Freestyle is fantastic but NCL's one lacking area is in customer service and corporate management and I have yet to see any improvement in those areas.

Archived