Drink of the Day Question

TinaJ04463

A friend and I are chatting and browsing here, and this question came up: when you get the drink of the day and pay 6.95 for that first one, 4.95 after that, you keep the glass. Well what if you don't want the glass to begin with? What price are you paying then? Stupid, I know, but I have a ton of the glasses from the last cruise and certainly don't want to waste suitcase space on more of them!

TinaJ

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
A friend and I are chatting and browsing here, and this question came up: when you get the drink of the day and pay 6.95 for that first one, 4.95 after that, you keep the glass. Well what if you don't want the glass to begin with? What price are you paying then? Stupid, I know, but I have a ton of the glasses from the last cruise and certainly don't want to waste suitcase space on more of them!

TinaJ

Stop purchasing the drink of the day in the souvenir glass and just get the smaller sized one that comes in a regular (10 oz?) glass. It will cost you all of $2.95 plus tax and tip for a total of about $3.69 or so. I usually get one drink of the day in the souvenir glass on the first afternoon only b/c it is so enticing when you first get on the ship and go to the Lido deck for lunch. After that I just get the drink of the day in a regular glass without all of the bells and whistles.

Confucius say " Order Drink of Day in already purchased glass... order without ice... pay same as with ice but get more booze instead... Drink already mixed and stored on ice... stay cold long enough for a few swigs on your way to buffet.....for... FREE ICE!"

If you are a man, order it " Man Sized".... you might, if you meet those 'man' criteria.... get a topper of 151 on your drink to boot!

PS: If your ship has a deli..... order your sandwich " Man Sized"..... They will pile on the fixings.... clearly this does NOT apply to the Tuna... because no real man would order tuna when corned beef and/or pastrami are on the menu..... dont be foolish.

Whatever. Anyway, you can order any drink in the regular glass (plastic) and the drink of the day is just a gimmick for the cruiseline to make more money since I don't think you really get any more in the souvenir glass than you do in the regular sized ones. I now have 5 souvenir glasses from two cruises but I probably will not buy anymore next year. They take up too much space in my luggage :D

I always order one on the first day...and then try to keep the glass the whole cruise. They usually just exchange it for you when you order, my steward has always rinsed it out each night...that way big fun drink for the re-fill price! And some good friends I met on the last cruise say the glasses make GREAT jacuzzi/pool glasses at home! :D

Whatever. Anyway, you can order any drink in the regular glass (plastic) and the drink of the day is just a gimmick for the cruiseline to make more money since I don't think you really get any more in the souvenir glass than you do in the regular sized ones. I now have 5 souvenir glasses from two cruises but I probably will not buy anymore next year. They take up too much space in my luggage :D

Okay, I always grab the Funship special in the souviener glass as soon as one if offered to me when we board. It's a tradition :D I keep the glass all week and get it refilled. Then I toss it in the garbage. I don't bring them home. It's just not something I need.

BUT out of curiosity on our last cruise when I ordered a frozen margarita in the show lounge in a REGULAR glass (it was glass with a stem-- not plastic tumbler like you get on lido)--I took the regular glass back to the cabin with me. I filled it with water and then poured the water into the souvienir glass--it only lacked about 1/2" to fill it up. Not much difference and the price was the same.

So--there you go!

from 2004, and didn't find any $6.95 drinks, mostly 4.95. Guess they've gone up since then! Total for the week was just over $1000, including 1 shore excursion for 2, a couple pics, several gift shop purchases, and loads of drinks. Oh, and a $13 phone call. I don't think we overdid it after all!

TinaJ

I usually pack an old DOTD glass in my overnight bag. Then as soon as I'm onboard, I take it up the lido deck and ask for a refill. They always look at me funny cos I'm one of the first people on board and they wonder how I could already be needing a refill! But that way I never pay for the full original drink price and I get a fresh DOTD glass to take back home.

I have noticed that suntan lotion sometimes takes off the logo on the side or many trips through the dishwasher does it too. I always look through the cabinet to see which one looks the worst, and that is the one (or two) that gets to go on the trip with me!

I usually pack an old DOTD glass in my overnight bag. Then as soon as I'm onboard, I take it up the lido deck and ask for a refill. They always look at me funny cos I'm one of the first people on board and they wonder how I could already be needing a refill! But that way I never pay for the full original drink price and I get a fresh DOTD glass to take back home.

I have noticed that suntan lotion sometimes takes off the logo on the side or many trips through the dishwasher does it too. I always look through the cabinet to see which one looks the worst, and that is the one (or two) that gets to go on the trip with me!

Too funny about the suntan lotion taking the logo off. I had that happen this last cruise. Laying in the sun with my Miami Vice in a yellow souvenir glass resting against my leg, logo side against me. When I got up, the logo was a little smudged and I had a blue smear on my thigh for the rest of the cruise.

Too funny about the suntan lotion taking the logo off. I had that happen this last cruise. Laying in the sun with my Miami Vice in a yellow souvenir glass resting against my leg, logo side against me. When I got up, the logo was a little smudged and I had a blue smear on my thigh for the rest of the cruise.

LOL!! More suntan lotion didn't take it off your leg?

I bet it looked like a reverse tattoo after the blue wore off.

The DOTD for 6.95 is a double drink and when you pay the 2.95 you get a single, not quite the same.

It took me until the 3rd day to discover this little fact, and it all made sense as to why I was so affected by the DOTD drinks!

I know they come in different colors, I know since I have a few. On the first day, isn't it a glass clear cup? Or did you bring one of your colored cups from home to use on the first day??

LOL!! More suntan lotion didn't take it off your leg?

I bet it looked like a reverse tattoo after the blue wore off.

Nope, nothing took it off. It kind of wore off/washed off after a week or so. I use sunscreen pretty heavily so I didn't get much of a tan to begin with.

Archived