H-A to offer $100 deposits? true or false?

silvercruiser

Tinknock50, thanks. I took a look, and will have to look further.

The initial quote that I received was for Medical/Dental (don't need, my policy is 90% out of network after a $300pp yearly deductable), car rental (don't need), flight (well, I'm using frequent flyer miles this next trip, so would have to read the fine print but doubt it would pay out anything, since I'm not paying for the tickets. If I miss the connections, the airline says they will get me on the next flight). If I cancel I can redeposit the miles for $100pp. I know the issue is medical evacution...I still need to find out about cancellaton. It is mentioned, so I will do a bit more research. It still seems like that's a risk the cruise line would take more than anyone else and they are the ones requesting payment at the time of booking. I think it's a great queston I should raise with HAL regarding why the insurance can't be chosen 60-90 days prior to travel since the insurance companies are doing it. It's the one issue that I have with the year or more in advance deposit. I don't have a problem with $100pp.

Thank you, jade13, for raising the topic of travel insurance. I booked a November cruise with the $100 deposit while on board recently and declined the HAL insurance since I have out-of-country medical insurance through work and I get a reduction on the rest through a family member who works for a major (Canadian) travel insurance company.

However, while reading this thread, I got to thinking about when I need to book insurance. It doesn't make sense that I would have to buy insurance now for a cruise that I am not entirely sure I will take since I can transfer my deposit to a different cruise prior to final payment in August. I went online and discovered the following: "Must purchase coverage at the time of initial travel deposit OR if you purchased a cruise vacation, before any cancellation penalties are in effect". That means I can wait to purchase my insurance until I make final payment. This information may only be of assistance to Canadian travellers; I don't know whether American travel insurance companies do the same.

By the way, you have expressed concern regarding emergency medical evacuation costs. My medical insurance through work does cover these costs in the event of an out-of-country emergency.

Bonnie

Thank you, jade13, for raising the topic of travel insurance. I booked a November cruise with the $100 deposit while on board recently and declined the HAL insurance since I have out-of-country medical insurance through work and I get a reduction on the rest through a family member who works for a major (Canadian) travel insurance company.

However, while reading this thread, I got to thinking about when I need to book insurance. It doesn't make sense that I would have to buy insurance now for a cruise that I am not entirely sure I will take since I can transfer my deposit to a different cruise prior to final payment in August. I went online and discovered the following: "Must purchase coverage at the time of initial travel deposit OR if you purchased a cruise vacation, before any cancellation penalties are in effect". That means I can wait to purchase my insurance until I make final payment. This information may only be of assistance to Canadian travellers; I don't know whether American travel insurance companies do the same.

By the way, you have expressed concern regarding emergency medical evacuation costs. My medical insurance through work does cover these costs in the event of an out-of-country emergency.

Bonnie

I emailed Insure myTrip.com

I will need to dig further but a 75% back is still not as good as HALs 90%, but it will depend on the cost. I also wonder if the $25 pre-deposit is considered a booking.

I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one concerned about a cancellation or even a change...

I will check re evacuation..

"Thank you for using InsureMyTrip.com.

We do offer "cancel for any reason" policies with two package policies.

M.H.Ross and TravelSafe. Please read below the qualifications for this coverage. **Must purchase one of these policies within 15-days of your first trip payment or deposit.**

Optional Cancel For Any Reason Benefit:

If you cancel your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this policy, we will reimburse you for 75% of the prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits you paid for your Trip provided:

1. your enrollment form and premium payment is received (or, if mailed, is

post-marked) within 15 days of the date your initial deposit/payment for your Trip is received; and

2. you insure all prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within 15 days of the payment for those arrangements the cost of any subsequent arrangements (or any other arrangements not made through your travel agent) added to your Trip; and

3. you cancel your Trip two (2) days or more before your Scheduled Trip Departure Date.

The package policies are designed for travelers going on a single trip.

They can

be used for Cruises, Tours, Flights, House Rentals and a world of other trip types."

I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one concerned about a cancellation or even a change...

I'm not.

I've been a faithful reader of threads on CC for a number of years now, and found that when this topic comes up most posters say they don't take the HAL coverage---they insure through any one of a number of companies.

The HAL plan doesn't cover what many (most?) of us are looking for: trip interruption, medical coverage, evacuation, repatriation of remains, assistance to travelling companion, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hal Platinum better cover trip interuption and emergency medical evacuation, otherwiae there is no sense for me to get it. My medical is a PPO and covers out of the country after $300pp yearly out of network deductable (which I use regardless of whether I travel.)

Jade called my attention to this thread and I have to admit I am perplexed beyond words. There is no way HAL accepts a $25/pp deposit until final payment unless the TA is covering the difference to HAL. HAL will not take a booking for less than the required deposit which varies dependent on the length of the cruise, but it is never $25/pp (unless possibly a special arrangement is made for a large group cruise).

It may be that Steamboating is a member of this American vehicle organization and part of their service is covering that deposit since they know it is fully refundable until final payment is due. That's the only explanation that makes any sense at all.

Even onboard HAL this past December 2006, they required the deposit IN FULL which in our case was $600/pp.

Even to just get our name on a LIST to be called when they opened bookings for the Holiday 2008 itinerary cost us $100/pp.

Note that my Jan 30 post was that I once received $50pp on-line credit (not $500.00!).

For those who booked recently on-board for $100pp,did everyone get the same additional incentives regarding the on-board credit, or is this ship by ship?

I still don't get the agent who allows $25.00pp booking (is this with an assigned cabin?) up to Hal's final payment date. And again, I e-mailed insuremytrip. Only two insurers have trip cancellation (included with the medical) and they both have to be paid within a couple weeks of the initial booking.

Heather, I may be totally wrong regarding the costs for Hal's insurance programs. They must be on a scale based on age (we are under age 50) because it would not make sence to insure a 30 year old at the same cost as a 90 year old...I will ask.

We have a lot of pets, so always scared one will get really sick and we would need to cancel (or change our dates which is the same as canceling after final payment - so the cancellation is important in our case).

Archived