need recipes for limoncello

andrea63

I have made it many times. The posted recipe is good. However, a local Italian Restaurant owner told me to use pure grain alcohol 198 proof. I usually have to buy it in Mexico. Sometimes I can get it here in California. It's called Everclear. He said you need the higher alcohol content to best extract all of the lemon flavour from the zest.

Regards

I made it with the grain alcohol back around Thanksgiving. (We can get Everclear at our local liquor store here). The stuff is so dang strong I can't begin to drink it straight up. I tried mixing it with Sprite and it was way too sweet. I think I'll try the iced tea thing tonight with dinner ;). It goes down a little easier from the freezer but, wow, you feel it all the way down. Two glasses of the stuff and my DH would be pulling me out from under the table and "pouring" me into bed.

I think next time I'll try the vodka instead (if I can ever get rid of what I've got now). And, BTW, it tastes nothing like what we had on the Diamond. That went down very smooth and I definitely went back for seconds. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Tarps:

I know I said the posted recipe is good, but this is the way I learned it. The Italian Restaurant owner gave it to me metric. The procedure remains the same.

One Kilo sugar (2.2 pounds);

One Liter water (about 34 ounces);

One Liter Pure Grain Alcohol;

Fifteen lemons.

If you used Everclear in the posted recipe, it was 1.5 Liters. That may have made it too strong.

Mine is just right (to my and my family's taste) served straight from the freezer. I serve it in a chilled glass. We have these glasses that we got in Florence that are like a tall shot glass. They hold about four ounces, which is pleanty. Very heavy and they look great chilled from the freezer.

Hope this helped.

Regards

Our friends brother made a few bottles of using the Everclear and all I can say it wow, it was so strong. It didn't taste the the limoncello that we've ever tried in Italy but was interesting. We had martinis with the limoncello and greay goose last night and it about put me under!

Sasset-thanks for the reply. You're probably right about using too much grain alcohol but that's what the recipe called for. BTW, I tried a swig of the alcohol while making the first step and all I can say is how were we able to drink that stuff in college and live to tell about it? I felt like I was swallowing battery acid. I think I might try it with the vodka next time and if that isn't right, then I'll try it with just a bottle and a half of Everclear.

Archived