Self Tanning Lotion questions

I received two different self-tanning lotions for Christmas - Jergens Natural Glow and breathe delight 24/7 moisture gradual tanning body lotion from Bath and Body Works. I've never used self-tanning lotions before so have a few questions. I prefer the fragrance of my coconut lotion and would like to use that on my cruise. Can I put on a self-tanner, let it dry completely, then put on other lotions on top of it, i.e. the coconut lotion or sun tan lotions? Also do they wash off with each shower? The breathe delight says subtle color will develop after a few days. I'm just confused how to use it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I'm just looking for a little color - nothing drastic. Being from MN, these legs and arms haven't seen sun in 3 months. :)

I've never used Breathe Delight by Bath & Body, but I can speak for Jergens Natural Glow...

The Jergens Natural Glow will give you a subtle hint of color. I have some in my cabinet and plan on using it every other day until my cruise, which is in about 2 1/2 weeks. Apply it after you shower while your skin is still moist from the warm water. Let it completely dry on your body. My experience is that after it dries you can apply other lotions over it, but I never needed to because it is a moisturizer as well. Even after the natural glow has dried and absorbed into your skin, you don't have to worry about getting it on your clothes, etc. This self tanner isn't going to leave you looking orange, patchy, or streaky. I like it!

I also will use the Jergens Natural Glow for the Face. I recommend it as well.

I love Jergen's Natural Glow but found that even as light as the smell is (and it is REALLY light) I felt I could still smell it. So I would put it on at night, let it dry completely before I went to bed and let it do it's magic overnight. Never had it rub off on sheets like other self tanners and woke up all "glowy"~

On my cruise I would put it on after my before dinner shower and would top it with my own lotion for scent. It worked just fine. By the time I made it to dinner my tan from the day would be developing and the lotion would have given me a lovely coloring. Or more would have given my pinkness a golden look!

I tried the Jergen's last night because I saw so many "glowing" ;) reports about it, but I found the smell and stickiness unbearable. I don't think I put on too much, just what seemed like a normal amount of lotion, I followed all the hints I've read here and in the Jergen's website, and I let it dry completely before going to bed. After an hour of tossing and turning I had to get up and shower. Each person has a different tolerance level for smell, of course, so I hope you won't have the same experience!

I, too, don't like the smell, and I don't feel moisturized after, BUT--it does work! I use the medium shade, and it really gives you the look of being sun-kissed. Use it at night, then the next day, use your regular regimen (and sunscreen--it won't prevent sunburn!!!)

Jergens dyes your skin, so once it starts working, it won't wash off.

I appreciate all your comments. I received the light Jergens. I'm pretty fair skinned with blonde hair. Do you think the light will give me enough color, or should I maybe use a medium shade? Also, somewhere I read that it can stain your fingernails if you don't wash your hands well enough. I have acrylic nails, should I be worried that they may stain? thanks again everyone.

Am I the only person who has found tht the Jergens Natural Glow rubs off when you towel off after a bath or shower? I usually rub rather briskly, and discovered it was coming off quite easily. Now I pat dry, and it stays put, but other than that, I haven't had any problem with it. I did, however, notice that the scent was very apparent to me, even at night. I know what the one poster was speaking of when she said she had to get up at night and shower to get rid of it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have used Jergens and it does work and the color is nice and not "fakey". As the previous poster said tho, I also find it rubs off after a shower onto my towel. Could be we use light color towels?? The smell is somewhat annoying too. Seems they could make a more pleasant aroma. I would use it in a pinch but personally, I will use sunscreen and get a good old fashoined tan.

I LOVE Coppertone Endless Summer. I don't think it has a strong smell at all. It goes on smooth like lotion. I always buy medium to dark and I am not dark skinnned. Just make sure you rub out any areas where the skin has wrinkles(elbows, knees, feet,and hands)Sometimes I rub a small amount of normal lotion on my knees and elbows after I put on the self tanner. It keeps these areas from holding to much tanner in the creases. Also, be careful with your eyebrows and around your mouth. I have also done the Mystic Tan at Palm Beach Tan. It works great and gets all areas but you have to follow their directions closely...the first time I had some streaky areas. But I learned what not to do and it never happened again. If you go this route, I would try it a few weeks before you go so that you get it right and then I would go maybe twice a week and then the night before you sail. Then you can use the over the counter tanner on the cruise as touch up. I also use sunless tanner when I am tan and it evens out my skin tone and darkens my face since I usually use a lot of sunscreen on my face. :cool:

I"ve done diffeent brands too. I think they all "stink" while they are processing, (for lack of a better term). I seem to be less bothered by it by putting it on before bed. Wash your hands well! Also, I usually rub regular lotion over it to help it blend better.

Does anyone know if the "spray tans" have a smell to them? I'm thinking about doing them a couple of times for leaving.

I appreciate all your comments. I received the light Jergens. I'm pretty fair skinned with blonde hair. Do you think the light will give me enough color, or should I maybe use a medium shade? Also, somewhere I read that it can stain your fingernails if you don't wash your hands well enough. I have acrylic nails, should I be worried that they may stain? thanks again everyone.

I also use the Jergens Light because of my skin tone and it worked very well. It gave me enough color and a very nice healthy glow.

Am I the only person who has found tht the Jergens Natural Glow rubs off when you towel off after a bath or shower? I usually rub rather briskly, and discovered it was coming off quite easily. Now I pat dry, and it stays put, but other than that, I haven't had any problem with it. I did, however, notice that the scent was very apparent to me, even at night. I know what the one poster was speaking of when she said she had to get up at night and shower to get rid of it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

YES it rubs off - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! Also, it rubbed color onto the hem of my white shorts and worst of all, it stained my leather car seats. It was summer time here in Texas and hot and of course I was in shorts all the time. You can see where the color transferred from each of my legs onto the leather. I wasn't using too much or applying it wrong - it just rubs off. Decided pretty quickly it wasn't worth it to paint a brown color onto my skin only to have it get on EVERYTHING!

I found the best gradual tannner ! It's called Paradise Gold and found only at Walgreens. They have 2 shades lite/med and med/dark.

I've worked my way up to the darker shade and I'm always getting compliments on my tan. The best thing about it is the smell. It's the best smelling tanner I've found. It does have a fragrance but not a stinky one like most of the others. I use Coppertone Faces on my face. No smell at all that I can tell. Oh, and the Paradise Gold has an SPF of 8 so I use it before going to the beach or pool. Hope this helps. Eileen

I found the best gradual tannner ! It's called Paradise Gold and found only at Walgreens. They have 2 shades lite/med and med/dark.

I've worked my way up to the darker shade and I'm always getting compliments on my tan. The best thing about it is the smell. It's the best smelling tanner I've found. It does have a fragrance but not a stinky one like most of the others. I use Coppertone Faces on my face. No smell at all that I can tell. Oh, and the Paradise Gold has an SPF of 8 so I use it before going to the beach or pool. Hope this helps. Eileen

Have you tried Jergen's Natural Glow? If so how does the smell compare?

I also find the feel and smell of Natural Glow annoying. I use it at night, then shower in the morning to kill the smell. I am also very fair, and use the light. I think that all of the tanners have that "stink". If I could find one without it, I'd be very happy! I also feel kind of warm after I apply it, like my skin gets warm? Does this happen to anyone else? Also, the sheets on my side of the bed have a "natural glow" as well! You can tell where I sleep by the slight orange tint!

Yes, I have tried Natural Glow and wasn't too happy with either the smell or the tanning result. Too light for me. As far as the color rubbing off, I think they all do that at some level. I never wear light clothing right after applying it and I wait at least an hour befiore getting dressed. Have never noticed it rubbing off on my sheets, however it does rub off on my towels after a shower. So if you're not happy with Natural Glow try Paradise Gold, I just bought another bottle for my cruise in 2 weeks.

Happy safe tanning!

I have been debating weather or not to go to a tanning booth, any input? :confused:

I thought I was the only one that was very bothered by the smell of the Jergens Natural Glow lotion. I would put it on in the morning & all day I would get a strong whiff of it, it would turn my stomach. I also lasted through the night, that I too had to get up & shower. I have stopped using it & I have been looking(SMELLING) for a different brand. But he Jergens did work well, if I could only tolerate the smell I'd be all set. I will try Paridise Gold, thanks. :)

i have used jergens natural glow in the past and liked the results but a few days ago i bought the vaseline self tanning lotion and let me tell ya if you have sentive skin watch out. 2 days later i had a rash and itchy bumps everyplace i put it. thank god i just put it on my arms and legs.

well back to jergens i go. the smell is good for about the 1st hour or so and then wants it start to "activate" then the smell is so so to me. but i guess it is better than lookin ghostly white

The "breathe delight 24/7 radiant moisture gradual tanning body lotion" from Bath and Body Works actually smells quite good. Mine is Uplifting Tamarind Nectar but it also comes in two other fragrances. I agree, the Jergens Natural Glow has such an unpleasant odor, I almost think it's better to look white. Hardly pays to put my expensive perfume on when the smell of the lotion over takes it.

I have been debating weather or not to go to a tanning booth, any input? :confused:

Last summer I went to a tanning booth (only 10 visits) and spend some time in the sun. I have fair skin, but have always tanned easily. A few weeks ago my dermatologist removed 3 precancerous skin spots from my side and leg. I know these spots were a direct result of the tanning I got last summer, since they were new skin spots and had just appeared in the last couple of months.

I'll put up with the smell of my Jergens Natural Glow, which gives a tan that is about as natural looking as the real thing! Better safe than sorry. Eventhough I have fair skin, I use the "medium" tanning lotion.

The tanning bed is not the way to go. I had never used one until 3 years ago and I went before a winter cruise. I went 3 times a week for 2 months and it damaged my skin more than the hours and hours I spent in the sun when I was younger. And, the smell. If the Jergens offends you, the smell of the skin cooking in the tanning bed will nauseate you. I like the Jergens ok, but I found one by Lancome that is great (I know, it costs more) I cant' remember the name but I think its the only lotion they make that gradually adds color. Its in a light yellow bottle

Have you tried Jergen's Natural Glow? If so how does the smell compare?

I also find the feel and smell of Natural Glow annoying. I use it at night, then shower in the morning to kill the smell. I am also very fair, and use the light. I think that all of the tanners have that "stink". If I could find one without it, I'd be very happy! I also feel kind of warm after I apply it, like my skin gets warm? Does this happen to anyone else? Also, the sheets on my side of the bed have a "natural glow" as well! You can tell where I sleep by the slight orange tint!

Until you take a shower, you will most certainly carry the scent, and the lotion itself will certainly rub off onto anything you wear (clothes OR sheets)...any lotion will do that, you simply notice this one because it has a bronzer in it, as well as the chemical that reacts with the skin to prduce the "tan". So...either wear a robe until dry, and then take a shower (and I scrub well in that shower too!) to remove excess color and scent, or apply just before bed, deal with the scent and the sheets, and shower in the morning.

They are making progress on these self-tanners...one day I hope they can get rid of that godawful scent altogether!!!

I went to Walgreen's today and sampled a bit of the Paradise Gold. I saw the "Sunless Tanner" with the spf of 8, and the "Gradual Tanner". Which one was the one that gave the best results? I put a little on the backs of both my hands. Both still smell pleasant. I really don't see any difference between the 2...no visable tan yet. How many applications does it take??

The Avon sunless tan lotion is cheaper and the smell is not nearly as bad as Jergens.

Still can't find something for my face. I keep on breaking out from the face lotions and I don't have sensitive skin.

Denise

I went to Walgreen's today and sampled a bit of the Paradise Gold. I saw the "Sunless Tanner" with the spf of 8, and the "Gradual Tanner". Which one was the one that gave the best results? I put a little on the backs of both my hands. Both still smell pleasant. I really don't see any difference between the 2...no visable tan yet. How many applications does it take??

OK...ten hours later...The Paradise Gold "Sunless Tanner" is visably darker. It does have a slightly "dirty" look on my hand wrinkles and pores. It does have a slight typical sunless tanner smell. No orange tint noted at all...it's more brownish. The "Gradual Tanner" isn't really showing (I wouldn't expect Jergen's to after one application either), but there are no darker pores or lines. It doesn't seem to have a smell at all. At this point I might opt for the "Gradual Tanner"...I forgot to check the price. I may pick up a bottle tomorrow. I only saw the "light/medium" at my Walgreen's which is what I would need anyway.

Archived