New Orleans, not impressed

Bar-fly

Hi All

Just finished a cruise in New Orleans, sorry but I'm not that impressed although we only had one day and a night there, the city is interesting but not very pretty, went on a trip arround the City and saw the devastation, the American government should be ashamed at how little help it has given.

It would be nice if the tram cars lines could be built up and extended as that would be good for the tourists as well as locals.

We also had a night out, and the taxi drivers were ripping the passengers off by charging passenger + luggage fares from the Cruise terminal to the town center about $28 each way I think.

We were not impressed with the famous Burbon St, over run with teeny boppers and loud disco noise, I only found two jazz band bars where we were ripped off by the price of the beer $8 for a small bottle or can, got back to the ship about 12:30 much lighter in the wallet and half deaf, I would need a good excuse to go there again when there is pretty places like Fort Lauderdale to go to.

I was there two weeks ago and found they had made great strides considering the damage they had a year ago. Much of the work to do is private, not public.

I took a cab from the cruise ship to the French Quarters and was charged the correct amount. The fares are on the windows. $16 for 1-2 people, which I paid w/luggage. I believe it said $28 for four people. Were you a party of four??

We're in our 60's and did not feel out of place as there were all ages in the Quarters. Had some great food.

We had a wonderful stay. Both my wife and I wish we had planned to stay a few days longer.

Hi All

Just finished a cruise in New Orleans, sorry but I'm not that impressed although we only had one day and a night there, the city is interesting but not very pretty, went on a trip arround the City and saw the devastation, the American government should be ashamed at how little help it has given.

Your obnoxious editorial comment is not appreciated.......:mad:

I was there two weeks ago and found they had made great strides considering the damage they had a year ago. Much of the work to do is private, not public.

I took a cab from the cruise ship to the French Quarters and was charged the correct amount. The fares are on the windows. $16 for 1-2 people, which I paid w/luggage. I believe it said $28 for four people. Were you a party of four??

We're in our 60's and did not feel out of place as there were all ages in the Quarters. Had some great food.

We had a wonderful stay. Both my wife and I wish we had planned to stay a few days longer.

Hi R not E

We were told by our guide that the insurance companies were baulking at paying out to the washed out home owners, and that no help was forthcoming from the government.

And it was our taxi driver that told us that the other taxi drivers were ripping the passengers off, we were a party of four and were charged just $12 for the ride into town and which we were told was the correct fare. he was fair and honest with us so we gave hime a nice tip.

Your obnoxious editorial comment is not appreciated.......:mad:

Hi JLC

I don't find anything obnoxious in quoting what we were told by the guides.

The devastation is still there after all this time for the tourists to see, and I like most visitors to New Orleans just feel that those poor people deserve some help, and if it had been New York suffering the same devastation I am sure that all the government help possible would have been offered.

Americans tend to be very self-reliant- they don't automatically look to the government for help.

And when it comes to the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina it's just as well. :)

Hi emdia43

I looks like the people of New Orleans are very self-reliant, and as you say "just as well" but being self-reliant dosen't get things done, I wonder how long are they expected to live in a caravan outside a wrecked house.

Hi JLC

I don't find anything obnoxious in quoting what we were told by the guides.

.......interesting that you are now ascribe YOUR obnoxious statement to guides.......I don't see that in your OP.....:rolleyes:

Hi All

....the devastation is still there after all this time for the tourists to see, and I like most visitors to New Orleans just feel that those poor people deserve some help,.....

In which case, why in the HECK would you title this thread, "NOT IMPRESSED" ???:confused:

The easiest way to help those "poor people" is to spend money in New Orleans.

The easiest way to HURT these "poor people" is to bad-mouth the city.

Shame on you. :mad:

Well I think that one can be "not impressed" and yet still want to help.

We were in NO pre cruise last week and truly you feel welcomed. The hotel employees, resturant workers, ect, thank you for coming to NO during the holidays and you can feel how sincere they are. Some how in a small way you do feel like you are a part of something big, a rebirth so to speak. I could not agree more that the best way to help is to be a tourist. Bourbun street was not hit hard by floods, but lack of patrons.

Yet having said that, times are a changing in NO, and I noticed this on our visit prior to Katrina.... Where jazz was quite prevelant on previous visits, now it is more jello shots and keorke. I am sorry but I too have to agree that Bourbun street is no longer impressive to me... Of course there is more to NO than Bourbun street, just my observations....

In which case, why in the HECK would you title this thread, "NOT IMPRESSED" ???:confused:

The easiest way to help those "poor people" is to spend money in New Orleans.

The easiest way to HURT these "poor people" is to bad-mouth the city.

Shame on you. :mad:

I agree. As someone who loves that City & was there right before Katrina and 3 times last year since, rebuilding a city that has been devastated with major destruction....is not an easy job. Rome was not built in a day. :rolleyes: And yes our US Government has provided millions of dollars & assistance but it takes everybody working together to make the City whole again.

Sorry the OP didn't like it there. It is indeed a City full of history & many cultures. I'll be arriving there next Sat for a pre & post cruise stay & can't wait to get back there.

You say that "after all this time" little has been done,but it was August 2005 and the area involved that was devastated is roughly the distance from Manchester to Newcastle UK - how do you suppose they can restore all that in a little over a year?

Easy to criticise but overwhelming to do:eek:

They need lots of tolerant tourists there to help the situation.

It's kinda like me coming to London and taking a quick look at Piccadilly Circus and writing back "London- Not impressed".

New Orleans has suffered a devastating blow due to the negligence, incompetence, and graft of the federal government. (The Corps of Engineers.) The levees broke. They were under engineered, not built to specks, and had improper maintenance guidelines.

Many people had no flood insurance because it was not required due to the protection that was promised by these levees. Home owners insurance will not cover this. New Orleans is still as beautiful at its core that it's been for the last several hundred years. Many people have managed a complete recovery and others haven't started to mitigate damages. St. Charles street mansions art still there, many landmarks are back in better form than many years while some haven't had any TLC. The music spots ace coming back as housing is being restored. My informal unscientific observations on home repair are as follows.

For home repair the amount complete is directly related to economic state.

Those with the cash started without even considering ins and other sources of funds, they already had contact's and got the jump on others.

Those with good employment and a sound financial picture were next in line to begin.

Then the financially challenged have just begun.

At this point in time a person will find just what he wants.

If he has decided the city is a filthy eyesore with only caned entertainment thats probably what they would have found prior to the storm. The city and surrounding area will never be what it was once but why should it? Eventually it will find its place in the tourism community as the spirit of the people lends itself to others joining them at enjoying life.

We just returned from an enjoyable stay in NO. People were very friendly with less crowds. Yes there are problems but that is considered public not Federal. Living in the panhandle of FL I feel their pain. "We wouldnt be having this conversation if the levees didnt break" was the quote of a very nice gentlemen said while we were eating at The Gumbo Shop.

We will still drive to NOLA because it is very unique in its own way and not a cookie-cutter city. I spoke with an elderly man who has commuted back n' forth from Texas for 1 1/2yrs to fix his home with his own hands to the point it was liveable (4 walls, roof, power) interior walls in the process.

I am taken back that the OP has such a shallow obersvation that was created in 24hrs. Now I'm going to fire a shot....OP, does 1776 ring a bell. Go back to Disney or Ft Lauderdale

Proud To Serve

Rick

USN Retired

We were not impressed with the famous Burbon St, over run with teeny boppers and loud disco noise, I only found two jazz band bars where we were ripped off by the price of the beer $8 for a small bottle or can, got back to the ship about 12:30 much lighter in the wallet and half deaf ...
You needed to do more research before you went.

Even just reading CC, you'd have discovered that Bourbon Street is a bit on the seedy side.

We had three nights staying in a hotel on the corner of Bourbon Street and Canal Street. Preservation Hall and the piano bar at Pat O'Brien's were two places that were well worth visiting, neither of them ripoffs.

I am taken back that the OP has such a shallow obersvation that was created in 24hrs. Now I'm going to fire a shot....OP, does 1776 ring a bell. Go back to Disney or Ft Lauderdale

Proud To Serve

Rick

USN Retired

*WILDLY APPLAUDING RICK*

Wow...isn't it great we are all so different? We had a great time. The people that are still there and that came back are strong indeed. All those things said about the government and the economic situation have some truth to them. But lets not forget this is a city that is built a dozen plus feet UNDER sea level. I live in Sacramento, CA...and nearly the whole town is built in a flood plane as well. Just like in New Orleans, our levees have serious problems. We don't get hurricanes but the spring rains and run offs are tempting the fates...and you tempt Mother Nature, you are gonna meet her some day.

The 9th Ward is heart breaking, but seeing the spray painted messages of "we will rebuild" and "don't tear my home down cuz I'm coming back", gives heed to the diligence of these people. The Garden District, although not flooded was seriously wind and rain damaged, is rebuilding. Hotels and businesses are rebuilding. There were city, state and federal work teams everywhere everyday repairing power lines, streets and street car systems. The best thing we can do for these people is spend our money there. I promise you spending money there will get cash into their hands faster than any government handout.

All that said...GREAT visit! Stayed right on Bourbon, and yep, it's noisy, it's raucous, it's New Orleans! Bourbon is what it is, but that isn't all that New Orleans is. Just one block over on Royal are some of the most interesting antique stores and art galleries. Be sure to stop into the ancient coin shop. And eats? Don't get me started! Great restaurants all over the city.

The official National WWII Museum is a "must see". We spent 5 hours there one day, and didn't even see everything. It's incredible. Heck, there is even a Voo Doo Museum, the Jazz Museum, you can learn how to play a washboard, suck a crawdaddy, and meet people from all over the world.

New Years Eve was extremely well organized. Danced in Jackson Square to GREAT music, Trombone Shorty was awesome...and counted down at midnight til the giant gumbo pot dropped. There were police and authorities everywhere. I felt very safe.

There was much I still wish I had had the time to do. There is the historic walking tour of the Quarter, the cemetaries, the ghosts!!! I will be back! :D

Glad to hear you had a great time and someone from the opposite side see NOLA for what it is and what it will be. After we got hit by IVAN along with a few others it took time to get back to normal. The Gov't hands were wide open but since Katrina they are smaller.

NOLA is famous for what has been deamed unacceptable by the OP. The old world charm of the Quarter remains, the Aquarium is back, the WWII/D-Day museum is a must along with Mardi Gras. We continue to make the 3 1/2hr drive because we enjoy the time spent in the city. One thing nice about this country is the freedom of choice. If you do not like what you see on Burbon St go down St Peters, head to Royal or sit at the square at Cafe de Monde. You have the choice. I wonder what the OP would say if they visited a 3ed world country.

After being what we've been through and what NOLA experienced I'd be worried if I lived in SacTown. Atleast you recognize the potential for problems and can get flood insurance just in case. Many in NOLA didnt have it so they are screwed while others fight with insurance companies that make billions while paying out peanuts.

Many in NOLA didnt have it so they are screwed while others fight with insurance companies that make billions while paying out peanuts.

Wdowns...I heard that flood insurance has increased in NOLA 10x since as well. So even if you could afford it, you can't afford it. There is flood insurance here, but frankly, losing "everything" that is important isn't covered by any insurance. We take our chances in life, but the important thing is be heard. Always vote...it's your guarantee in this life of the right to b*tch!

NOLA is a great port of call, and given the chance, I'll sail out of her again!

Many in NOLA didnt have it so they are screwed while others fight with insurance companies that make billions while paying out peanuts.

Wdowns...I heard that flood insurance has increased in NOLA 10x since as well. So even if you could afford it, you can't afford it. There is flood insurance here, but frankly, losing "everything" that is important isn't covered by any insurance. We take our chances in life, but the important thing is be heard. Always vote...it's your guarantee in this life of the right to b*tch!

NOLA is a great port of call, and given the chance, I'll sail out of her again!

Archived