Champagne in checked luggage

Annmarie58

Does anyone know if a carbonated beverage such as Champagne can be packed in checked luggage ? We were given as a gift for our cruise a very nice bottle of Champagne and would like to drink it on our cruise on DH's birthday?

Anyone?

I would leave it at home just for the reason that the way they handle luggage, I would be scared it would break and ruin all your clothes.

We took a bottle of champagne back in sept. I wrapped the bottle with a hand towel, then wrapped it in bubble wrap, and then put it in a 2 gallon zip lock bag. I then put the bottle in middle of our largest suitcase. It arrived all in one piece. On our way home, we have gotten the 1.7 litre bottles of rum, and wrapped them the same way. We even had a 1.7 litre and a litre of alcohol in the same suitcase, and no problem. I wrap them in the hand towel first, just in case they break, the liquid would be absorbed into the towel, the bubble wrap would keep the glass all intact, and the zip lock bag should hold everything in.

Good Luck!

Does anyone know if a carbonated beverage such as Champagne can be packed in checked luggage?
The only thing that you need to worry about is the baggage handling, for which you've already had sensible advice. There's no issue about temperature or pressure; the baggage hold on all usual airliners is pressurised exactly the same as the cabin, and the lower temperature will actually reduce the likelihood of the cork popping off.

Recently we have had wine shipped in foam surrounds. They are great and will protect your champagne within your suitcase. It does take up room, but if you want it to arrive safely check with your local wine merchant. They may have what you want.

My only thought is to know that you are adding some significant weight to your suitcase, which may be an issue depending on what kind of traveller you are. (I'm still amazed at the people who travel for over a week on a cruise with something the size of a large carryon. Guess they don't take a tux, plus formal shoes, plus binoculars, plus.....

Archived