First time boking QM2..few questions

smoothdancer

This will be our first time on QM2 and I am trying to figure it all out. Hope someone can help.

I am looking at two cabins with balconies. One states it is in the hull, sq footage is a bit more, then same category, hull not mentioned and square footage is a little less. What exactly does this mean? Where would that be on the ship?

I understand that we cannot discuss Travel agents here, but should I look for an agent that specializes in this line, or stick with the agents I have used for Celebrity and Princess cruises.

Thank you!!

Hi Dancer,

If you search this forum for "hull" you should find a lot of responses to your balcony question. We are just off QM2 Caribean cruise with a Hull balcony on deck 5. Our parents had a regular balcony on deck 12. For sun and full view of ocean from stateroom choose a regular balcony. For TA, a hull balcony might provide more shelter from wind. Personally I did not like the Hull balcony -- I felt like I was in a hole. When sitting on the chairs, you cannot see out to the view. But standing, you can see fine.

You will have a great voyage. QM2 is beautiful and huge. It has a lot to offer from the planetarium, to the orchestra balls.

Happy New Year

There is a photo of what an "in hull" balcony looks like in the thread by greydog entitled "A Celebrity country mouse....." It's sort of like walking out onto a balcony that was enclosed by a steel wall, then with a picture window cut in it. I don't think you can see over it too much if you are seated; so you must stand to enjoy your view. From what others have said, it's a little more protection from the elements if you are sailing in high wind or rainy weather (at least that's one way to sugar coat it). I THINK the balconies on the higher deck cabins are your traditional full ones, with the "in hulls" being a little lower down. The deck plan in the brochure will show you where they're located.

This will be our first time on QM2 and I am trying to figure it all out. Hope someone can help.

I am looking at two cabins with balconies. One states it is in the hull, sq footage is a bit more, then same category, hull not mentioned and square footage is a little less. What exactly does this mean? Where would that be on the ship?

I understand that we cannot discuss Travel agents here, but should I look for an agent that specializes in this line, or stick with the agents I have used for Celebrity and Princess cruises.

Thank you!!

My wife and I have had an upper level (deck 11) balcony for the Caribbean Cruise in April 2005, and a Hull or Sheltered balcony(deck 6) for the Oct, 2005 WB Crossing. We definitely prefer the upper level glass-rail balcony!

We didn't notice any size difference as is noted in the sq. footage dimensions in the brochure. The open and sunny feeling is more appreciated in the non-hull balcony.

I personally liked having part of the ship visible below when standing at the rail, instead of looking straight down to the churning ocean 90 feet below. However, if the sea is rolling, you will feel more motion the higher up you are in the ship. You can't escape from the center of gravity/pendulum effect as you move up in the vessel.

The bottom line.......is that we would enjoy any stay on either Queen in any cabin that was available. We enjoy sailing that much!

My first cruise on QE2 was in 1973 at the start of her 5th cruise season. I have grown old right along with her:( . I was 18 when I first sailed on her. She was running under her original steam turbines, and we clocked speeds of 30.25 knots during the ocean run south from Boston. She still is a tad faster than the QM2 even today at 40 years old, with her diesel-electric powerplant.

You will have a great time no matter which cabin you choose. If you are like most of us, you will be amazed at the actual amount of time that you spend in the cabin outside of sleep and the necessaries.

Thanks...............

I'd say to shop around. All the agents are offering the same product and you can save thousands of dollars just by changing agent. (Be willing to haggle - if you find an agent who's cheaper than your regular one go back and ask your agent to beat the best price).

Thanks so much everyone for the information. I thnk I am going to stay clear of the hull cabins, it does not sound like a location that I would like.

Being a ballroom dancer I just cant wait to put on my dance shoes and try the wonderful dance foor!

We had in-hull balconies on a June/July trip. And we've "open" balconies starting, um, this Saturday. We chose the in-hull because we were crossing. We chose the "open" because it is a quick trip to St. Thomas.

I would say that the in-hull looked to me to be more private than the open balconies. I'll let you know if that's true when we get back.

I would also say that the upper balconies are a lot further away from the water. Maybe that's really only important when you're truly at-sea. Then the ability to look out of your balcony down at the rushing water is a real thrill. The opening of the in-hull balcony is really very large.

Anyway, I'd suggest (as someone else did, I think) that you try both. That said, I've often read here that it is just as well to get an inside cabin because the ship is so wonderful that you just don't miss the balcony.

In-hull or premium balcony is Decks 4, 5 & 6. Deck 8 the balcony view is obstructed by the lifeboats. Decks 9-12 are open.

I spent 24 days on Deck 4 and didn't mind that the balcony was closed in. And the lower you go the less movement you feel.

If movement is a problem then you will definitely notice the difference up on Decks 11 & 12.

I have another in-hull booked on Deck 4 again this year. I liked the fact that I could sit out on a t/a and be sheltered and not exposed to the sun.

Regardless of what cabin you choose. It is just so WONDERFUL to be on the ship!!

hummmm... The decision is getting harder! One of the absolute favorites for me on a cruise is sitting on the balcony and watching the sea go by. I can sit there for hours. So of course, I thought after I saw the in-hull picture that it was not for me. We have not yet been bothered by motion, but if I cant see the "sea go by", on the upper decks either, then whatever I pick will not make a difference(guessing)

This will be a trial run for us. A short Memorial day sail (4days). Later in the year we will be attending a ballroom dance competition in England and luck has it that right after the competition there is a tranatlantic sailing to NYC. If we like it we will book the sailing. Our only other concern is a sailing with no stops... When we did an 11 day sail thru the Panama Canal after a few days I do remember that anxious feeling.... (We don't do total relaxation well!)

Is anyone else going on the short cruise, end of May? I will keep looking around the web and see if I can find a regular balcony picture.

smoothdancer,

I am currently booked on this sailing; but I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I did a back to back crossing on QM2 2 yrs. ago; & loved the ship. So, I thought it would be fun to get away for a few days & visit Eleuthera. Now I'm questioning whether the port of call will really take you to Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera or just to "Princess Cay" on the tip of the island. I've made 2 e-mail attempts to get Cunard to verify this point; & I can't get anyone to respond. I'll be really miffed if they've misrepresented the itinerary. Even though Princess Cay is leased by the Princess Division of Carnival, I don't think it's appropriate for them to promote the cruise as going to Eleuthera.

SD,

I'm not sure, but I think "boking" is illegal in 47 states! I'm not sure if CT is one of them ! <EG>

Marc and I have sailed in an obstructed view cabin, which we chose very carefully, thanks to this group. (between two lifeboats, so that only about two thirds was obstructed) and we had the added fun of watching them put her up and down. On our 4 day Nova Scotia, we got upgraded to a full glass balcony on 11 deck. Unfortunately, the chair pads were out there and soaked when we left, and never got dry (it rained three of the four days) so we did not get much use. Most of it was standing, since we couldn't really comfortably sit down.

We were scheduled for an in hull (Hull Hole) The advantages to an in hull are that, since they are in the widest part of the ship and not the superstructure, they are bigger balconies. They also very much are more private. Also, the Hull balconies look straight down over the water. the glass balconies on the higher decks overlook the Promenade deck. As one poster here noted, "When the capatin announces to look of the side at the dolphins or porpoises cavorting alongside, we will be able to look down and see them, instead of looking down at the rears of the passnengers on the promenade deck looking at them!" Well, okay, I took a bit of poetic license there. But you get the picture.

I'll think of you when I drive in to Meriden tomorrow. (Butler St Downtown. I have to do some work there. I am usually in Middletown in the industrial park near the Aetna)

Hey, ever been to K Lemay's Steamed Cheseburgers? They are down towards you. Can't find my menu with the address off-hand. Some little shoppping center in a residential development in the South ned of Meriden!

BTW, Attached you will find a pic of the view from an obstructed balcony cabin and an 11 deck balcony. THese were our respective cabins on the JanuaryPanama (8 deck) and September Nova Scotia (11 deck) cabins.

Hope these help you decide!

Karie,

from Colchester, CT

P.S. good luck in your ballroom competition. Sounds marvelous. Do you compete locally, too? Would love to come watch!

The port stop is not important to us, we are more interested in just sailing on the QM. Some years back we did stop at the Princess Island and it is an OK stop. Still, if you find out more information on the stop, please post and let me know.

Thanks Karie for the pictures... Even partially obstructed, the view is more to my liking. We compete in ballroom dance March - December then take 3 months off to refine/change routines. The season always starts for us in CT.... A very nice competition is held in Stamford, Ct. This is one of the only ones that is held in CT... As it gets closer I can post a link to the venue if you would like to attend. It is quite exciting to watch.

We travelled on the QM2 in June 2006 (NY to NY) and were in a hull balcony (which I've never seen before). The first thing to understand is that Cunard quotes the room dimensions including the balcony and the hull balcony is slightly bigger than deck 8 balconys. I think the actual cabins may be the same size, but not sure about the bathrooms and closet.

It's true, you have to stand up to enjoy your hull balcony, but it's nice at night when you can leave the doors open and hear the ocean. The hull balconys are private in that others can't see in them, but do be aware that everything in a hull balcony echos so you can hear conversations, performers practicing, etc.

Most of our 26 days aboard where rather overcast (except the 12 days in the Med where we were off the ship most of the day). We enjoyed the room, the steadiness of the ship (the steadiest we've ever been on) and the food and people were top notch. We'd travel with a hull balcony again though it would certainly not be our first choice, and I must add that our January 2007 (a week away!!!!) will be in the Princess level which we are also looking forward to. However, we are scared that we will miss the Britania restaurant and the great people you meet at dinner so we are planning to sneak down there.

I'm happy to report that I have just received an e-mail from Cunard regarding the port stop in Eleuthera on M712 on 5/25. I'm cautiously optimistic that the info is correct.

".....The call at Eleuthera is a visit to the town as well as the area known as Princess Cays. There will be tours to both areas...."

Dear Smoothdancer: I am going on the Memorial Day cruise also. I took my first cruise on a 4 day cruise on the QM2 in Sept and was hooked. I agree that a short trip is more about the ship than the destination. I think it will only be at Princess Cay for the day, but you are only there from like 10- 4 pm so there is not much you can do on land in such a short time. Last time

I had booked a full glass balcony on deck 10, and was upgraded to Princess Grill on deck 11. Now I am spoiled! I would not even cruise without a full glass balcony as I got so much enjoyment from looking out at the ocean 24 hours a day ( even in the Ernesto aftermath). If you can swing it, my recommendation is to go for the glass balcony. I look forward to seeing you on the dance floor!

Thanks Karie for the pictures... Even partially obstructed, the view is more to my liking. We compete in ballroom dance March - December then take 3 months off to refine/change routines. The season always starts for us in CT.... A very nice competition is held in Stamford, Ct. This is one of the only ones that is held in CT... As it gets closer I can post a link to the venue if you would like to attend. It is quite exciting to watch.

SD,

If you decide to go for the obstructed balcony, check the threads on here on obs balcony or obstructed balcony or deck 8 balcony- (Not sure of all the titles) and get folks recommendations on which cabins are least obstruced. There are a couple of them forward which overlook a smaller zodiac boat, and as you can see from the one we were in, it is in between two of the larger lifeboats, which are also usually used as tenders.

As for the competition, Stamford is a long drive from Colchester, Still, it might be fun if we can carve time!

Post it here. There are a number of people who stop in here from CT (and lots from NYC!), including another cruiser from Wallingford, if I remember correctly. Katie who is on the Jan 6 cruise also maintains a home in Milford. It certainly is an interest here since we have had threads on ballroom dancing and they teach it on the ship, in addition to a pair who are professionals who do brief but incredible demonstrations each night in the Queen's Room. But you can also send me a private email. I'd love to watch. I'd love to do but with two left feet, one of which is always standing on a lung, it's a bit difficult!

I think I put my email in my profile, but if not

parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com.

You know how to format it!

Good luck picking your cabin! I think even a broom closet on QM2 beats a lot of other places you could be!

Karie,

still at work in Meriden but leaving soon. It's been a crazy day!

her

SD,

I think even a broom closet on QM2 beats a lot of other places you could be!

AMEN Karie...I even contemplated taking Cusyl up on her generous offer to sleep in the lifeboat off her balcony, use her shower and hang my room service tag on her door. Who needs a cabin with an offer like that??;) To be on that ship again I'm capable of almost any deviousness...just let me check in with my evil twin and see what she has schemed :eek:

Cheers, Penny...who loved rocking and rolling on Deck 11...not to mention the view! I felt truly private there as I neither heard or saw (nor was seen, I hope!!;) )by anyone

Everyone has been so very helpful... Many thanks

We are close to booking now. Looks like we will chose a A-3 which will put us on deck 8. I am just waiting back from our agent to confirm these are unobstructed balconies.... I keep asking the agent the same questions, I have to be driving her crazy! From the plans I viewed on line I think the cabins are on either end of the ship. Has anyone stayed in this category?

Our competition schedule will have us in Vegas, Philly, Mass and Ct in March and April; so counting my travel pennies A-3 is the best we can do. Maybe some other time we will be able to try the "grill" category..

Sure, Karie I will be sure to post a link to the dance comp as it gets closer. The competition is held in the Stamford Marriott and we just stay overnight. The evenings are black tie and it is just easier to stay over. I had no idea that professional dancers give a demonstration on board. I cant wait for that!

Thank again all for the help on my first booking.

My cabin on the 16Dec2006 Carib voyage was a hull balcony .... and I loved it!

True, you can't see the ocean while sitting, but the feeling is like what SeaFlint said ....

To feel, and hear the power of that massive hull gliding thru the waves is something that one gets used to ... especially in "my" cabin on 6 deck aft.

My sound was ... the sea rushing by; a gentle vibration; a slight hum and whine coming from one of the propellors (my cabin was above the forward props! :) :D )

So,the way I feel now, you can't go wrong with the hull balcony.

Give it a chance ... you have nothing to lose.

:)

her

AMEN Karie...I even contemplated taking Cusyl up on her generous offer to sleep in the lifeboat off her balcony, use her shower and hang my room service tag on her door. Who needs a cabin with an offer like that??;) To be on that ship again I'm capable of almost any deviousness...just let me check in with my evil twin and see what she has schemed :eek:

LOL it would have worked..heeee

SD,

Maybe Marc and I can make a night of the dance competition, also. We have black tie! But as a "spectator", I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a competitor! (Not that there is any chance of that!) Where is the Mass competition, Eastern or Western?

As for the A3, I think you are correct. They are forward and aft of the lifeboats. Remember, though, that is a LONG corridor (but then, as a competitor, I am quite sure you have very strong legs and it would be good exercise.) Bear that in mind when you decide on your cabin. Do you want it to be a quick walk to the library and Commodore Club, two very wonderful spots on board? or perhaps closer aft where you can duck down to the Queen's room. Here's a secret. You may find the couple practicing sometmes when nothing else is going on in there. Just look at the floor plans and figure if you might be in a hurry and need to be closer. Aft CAN be more noisy- Anyone got an opinion here from experience? but aft on 8 deck you are near the Todd English restaurant, starboardside, and on the port side aft is the laundry for 8 deck passengers. Can be noisy and a lot of traffic, but also like watching soap operas literally! It's where all the action REALLY happens on the ship. The stories are legendary!

The cabin pic I posted was somewhat aft of amidships, starboardside, though not very far aft. I think the title of the picture was the cabin number. We were over the last white lifeboat (18) if I remember correctly, if that gives you a vantage point looking at an outside view of the ship.

Karie,

glad we could be of assistance. this group is dynamite that way, so we like to keep passing on the good cheer!

LOL.. Marc wont be mistaken for a competitier, that is unless he has a number pinned to his suit back!. Most if not all competitors wear tails. If I let Nick he would bring his tails on a cruise for formal night. The comp in Mass is at Springfield Sheraton, just a few exits over the CT line.

We wont mind the walk... Finally made a decision. On Monday we will book cabin 8117. It does sit right above the Queens Grill, but I prefer this location over cabins close to the spa and beauty salon.

LOL.. Marc wont be mistaken for a competitier, that is unless he has a number pinned to his suit back!. Most if not all competitors wear tails. If I let Nick he would bring his tails on a cruise for formal night. The comp in Mass is at Springfield Sheraton, just a few exits over the CT line.

We wont mind the walk... Finally made a decision. On Monday we will book cabin 8117. It does sit right above the Queens Grill, but I prefer this location over cabins close to the spa and beauty salon.

Springfield is very do-able.

Watch out for that "over the Queen's Grill" You know those hooligans in the Grill classes! Congrats on your decision. You will love it!

<G>

I've seen gentlemen wearing tails onboard ship! I think it looks marvelous!

Karie,

Who worked all night last night in -forsaken Bridgeport. Got home at 4 AM. Done NOTHING today!

Archived