Straights attending FOD meetings

derf5585

You're right that the evidence is there on CNN too...what I was implying...none too subtly, I thought...was that the editorial team on Fox is much more likely to defend the rights of the likes of Peck, rather than condemn his homophobia...:rolleyes:

And I in turn, was hoping to illustrate that it's not JUST the known right-wing mouthpieces (FOX), but the media considered by many to be mainstream (CNN)....

We're on the same page.

My son said, "Give 'em a break, they're on vacation." So a couple last thoughts before I bow out of this conversation.

First I'm sorry if my "openness" caused anyone reading this hard feelings. Knowing me in real life is no picnic either I've been told.

Second I was reading the thread about encountering famous ppl on cruiseships and a poster wrote about Cruise to Lose and Richard Simmons. She said no one knew they were aboard or where they were holding the video shoot, meetings, etc....

Why couldn't the cruiselines put something like this in the dailies:

Warm welcomes to all our first-time cruisers, solo/single cruisers, gay/lesbian cruisers, divorced parents, people with disabilities, and seniors. If you would like to attend any of the special events we've planned for you this week please ask for the schedule of your events at the Pursor's desk.

Nice thing about this is your events would be a quasi-private communication. General public would not be involved in the time or location and the cruiseline could really cater/market to your interests without fear of repercussions. Having your very own daily would mean that they could plan anything; invite a speaker of interest aboard, gay history or gay trivia (how 'bout combining them and calling it GAY JEOPARDY:D )......

bet you thought the Richard Simmons thing was gonna go in another direction, didn'tcha?

Lastly, my son and I thought of a couple more zingers...

Clubs and Spades for blacks and so the lesbians don't feel left out how about Along your Mary way.

Liz

Sorry, the law student in me can't resist - at common law, sodomy was *any* sex act other than man and woman engaged in traditional intercourse.... so we *all* qualify :)

Yay! It's always nice to be part of a perverted crowd!

My son said, "Give 'em a break, they're on vacation." So a couple last thoughts before I bow out of this conversation.

First I'm sorry if my "openness" caused anyone reading this hard feelings. Knowing me in real life is no picnic either I've been told

Liz, I read your last comment with a little concern that you didn't understand my post...I LIKE your comments here:) , and when I said I did more that cringe about the gathering names, it was in reaction to the insensitivity that exists 'out there,' not to you putting it in a post!:cool:

Andrew

Slightly off topic...but this whole thread has taken some twists and turns...:)

Moms can be great! I always tell two stories about my mother.

1. When I first came out, I flew from Boston to Atlanta with my partner, and mom drove down from South Carolina. I told her, and she said "fine, I still love you, but this will take some getting used to..." She didn't call for six months, and then when she did, she admitted that as she drove home that night, she was feeling really great about how she handled my coming out, and that it wasn't affecting her that much...until she arrived back in South Carolina after two hours driving... in the dark of Winter...and realized she'd driven the whole way without her headlights on!:D

2. When my oldest brother and his wife were celebrating 30 years of marriage, I decided to throw a big party for them. Mom LOVES when all five brothers are together, and always wants pictures. My three straight brothers were there with wives and kids, and my gay brother and I were there with our partners. So mom starts to instruct the photographer: "I want one of just the five boys, and then one photo with me and the five boys, and then one with the boys and their..." At this point she looked around at the various partners, and decided that she couldn't say "wives," or Stuart and Peter might feel slighted. So she half-switched from "wives" to "spouses," but it came out "spices." Ever since, all family partners are known as "spices!" And our partners like the title!:D

This was all a long time ago, and now she's a card carrying member of PFLAG, too.:cool:

And Liz, there are LOTS of lurkers on a lot of threads....don't worry, and just hope that everyone learns something...:)

Andrew

Ever since, all family partners are known as "spices!"

This was all a long time ago, and now she's a card carrying member of PFLAG, too.:cool:

Are the woman "spice girls"

Is there really a PFLAG card?

Remember those card carrying members of the communist party. Did they really have a card?

Based on the input so far, there is diversity within diversity and many different comfort levels for gays. However, there must be a dignified way to increase the pleasure of cruising for gays, possibly expand the market, and potentially increase acceptance on cruises that would please gays, straights, and the cruiselines.

......so to involve our at home audience let's play

Gay Jeopardy

with our host Andrew Blazerboy

categories are...

1. GAY HISTORY
GAY CELEBS IN SPARKLY ATTIRE

HE SAID WHAT?:eek: STRAIGHTS WHO ARE HOMOPHOBIC

UNFORGETTABLE LINES FROM CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD MOVIES

DYKES WHO RIDE BIKES

GAYS IN POWERFUL POSITIONS and a brand new category

GAYS CRUISING (NOT THE BARS)

Please phrase your answers in the form of a question.

Who would like to go first?.......

Gay Jeopardy

with our host Andrew Blazerboy

categories are...

1. GAY HISTORY

Who would like to go first?.......

$200 This iconic entertainer died 5 days before the Stonewall Riots

$400 He was the beneficiary of "the Twinkie defense"

$600 They were the most influential men's and women's progay organizations in pre-Stonewall America

$800 This poet, married to a gay man, was Virginia Woolf's lover

$1000 This Communist-turned-Radical-Faerie died in 2002 at the age of 90

By the by, as a Jeopardy addict, I don't recall ever seeing an explicitly queer contestant...

GAY CELEBS IN SPARKLY ATTIRE

$200 He was born "Reg Dwight"

$400 It was Liberace's only feature film

$600 This singer's metal studs sparkled when he sang for Judas Priest

$800 While Vince Clarke played keyboards, he, dressed in women's red high heels, sang "Over the Rainbow"

$1000 And the Daily Double: This brother of actors David, Patricia, and Rosanna played Ginger in "Killer Drag Queens on Dope"

Bringing back an OLD point on here about foreign cruisers.

I checked the ICCL and they do in fact report it as being 80% North American of which only 5% are Canadian. Of course, they have nothing to back this up, really. So, I figured I'll look it up another way..... and since I received my CCL annual report, I would use that as a way to look it up. The four largest cruise lines (in order) are CCL, RCL, NCL and finally MSC.

Note 11 on the CCL annual report says that revenues were $11,839M. Of those, $7,679M were North American sales, with $3,473M being Europe and $687M being "Other". Making North Americans only 64.9% of all cruisers on Carnival and threfore 35.1% of all cruises are from the rest of the world.

Canadians according to the ICCL website are suggested to be about 5% to 6% of all North-American cruisers. Which obviously is a lower percentage than you would expect. According to the CIA there are 298M US Citizens (I know it's less than the Census bureau, but I wanted to use numbers from the same source) and 33M Canadians. That's 331M people of which Canadians are basically 10% of the population.

From all this boredom that I seem to have managed to create on my own, without the help of anyone else, we can conclude that cruises are less interesting to Canadians than for Americans. But that cruises are essentially 40% non-Americans of which 5% are Canadians, 29% are Europeans and 6% are "other".

Of course, these numbers are arguable. But CCL's annual report was audited, so their numbers were at least checked. I imagine that RCL's numbers are probably higher in their American side, but NCL's is probably lower, considering that Star runs ships in Europe. MSC has just started running cruise ships out of the US, so I assume their American numbers are much smaller.

I apologize for having bored everyone, but I did think that 80% was a bit high. And being a stock holder of both RCL and CCL... I would hope that the number of foreigners on the ship would be increasing (it is, I checked the numbers).

Interestingly, my guess at the probable reason that the Canadian numbers are so pathetic probably has to do with the cost of flights and the availability of all-inclusive that come with flights and include alcohol. Just checking today and a week in Cuba with flights is going for (starting at) about US$850. Hotel, flights, Food and Non-stop alcohol.

$200 This iconic entertainer died 5 days before the Stonewall Riots

Who is Judy Garland? (6 days, the riots were on the 28th of June, no?)

$400 He was the beneficiary of "the Twinkie defense"

Who is Dan White?

$600 They were the most influential men's and women's progay organizations in pre-Stonewall America

What is Mattachine?

$800 This poet, married to a gay man, was Virginia Woolf's lover

Who is Vita Sackville-West? (This is a guess)

$1000 This Communist-turned-Radical-Faerie died in 2002 at the age of 90

Who is Harry Hay?

~*~

So, did I get any of them right?

B
  1. HE SAID WHAT?:eek: STRAIGHTS WHO ARE HOMOPHOBIC

$200 She claimed that Bill Cliinton's womanizing proved he was latently homosexual, and called Al Gore "a total f@g"

$400 This preacher and his family carry signs at gays' funerals proclaiming "F@gs Burn In Hell"

$600 In 1977, this singer implored Floridians to "Save Our Children"

$800 In a press interview, he called Barney Frank "Barney F@g"

$1000 Current job of the man who, speaking for the Vatican, called homosexuals "intrinsically disordered"

$200 He was born "Reg Dwight"

Who is Elton John?

$400 It was Liberace's only feature film

What is South Sea Sinner? (Are you sure it's his only feature film? What about Sincerely Yours and The Loved One?)

$600 This singer's metal studs sparkled when he sang for Judas Priest

Who is Rob Halford?

$800 While Vince Clarke played keyboards, he, dressed in women's red high heels, sang "Over the Rainbow"

Who is Andy Bell?

$1000 And the Daily Double: This brother of actors David, Patricia, and Rosanna played Ginger in "Killer Drag Queens on Dope"

Who is Alexis Arquette? (Who is NOT the youngest son)

Who is Elton John?

What is South Sea Sinner? (Are you sure it's his only feature film? What about Sincerely Yours and The Loved One?)

Eeep...I stand corrected...Badly phrased - should have been "The only feature film in which Liberace was the star"...Sincerely Yours

Who is Judy Garland? (6 days, the riots were on the 28th of June, no?)

~*~

So, did I get any of them right?

Yes, all of them...according to my info, the Stonewall riots started on 6/27, but that might be wrong...and yes, Sackville-West...but I was looking for the Daughters of Bilitis as well as Mattachine

$200 She claimed that Bill Cliinton's womanizing proved he was latently hoosexual, and called Al Gore "a total f@g"

Who is Ann Coulter (though I'm not sure if the word SHE applies.)

$400 This preacher and his family carry signs at gays' funerals proclaiming "F@gs Burn In Hell"

Who is the self-proclaimed reverend and cult-leader Fred Phelps?

$600 In 1977, this singer implored Floridians to "Save Our Children"

Who is the bankrupt (financially and morally) Anita Bryant?

$800 In a press interview, he called Barney Frank "Barney F@g"

Who is Dick Armey?

$1000 Current job of the man who, speaking for the Vatican, called homosexuals "intrinsically disordered"

What is the Pope?

Yes, all of them...according to my info, the Stonewall riots started on 6/27, but that might be wrong...and yes, Sackville-West...but I was looking for the Daughters of Bilitis as well as Mattachine

The police went in after 1AM on the 28th. The funeral (party) for Judy Garland started on the 27th.

Archived